Customs: Considering my First Masterpiece Project

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hello there. I'm contemplating on a project. I've got laying around an unused MIB Fujimi 1/24 scale Lamborghini Countach model kit. I was going to build it as part of my Koenig-Specials collection, but after seeing all these awesome custom job's here, I'm thinking of doing my own.
    I was studying my Alternator Prowl and noticed how very similar his transformation into robot mode is to G1 Sideswipe. So, it got me thinking about this project.

I see a lot of people actually scratch-building their figures from bone-stock styrene plastic and I am at awe at what they can/have accomplished. I don't think my skills are up to that at this point. However, I can probably re-skin an Alternator Prowl into a Sideswipe and use Alternator Sideswipes head and scratch build a few things.

My question is, what figures or model kits do I need to get articulated hands from? The hands on the Alternators are kind of pathetic in that only the pointer finger moves, and the thumb just barely moves. I want something more like MP04's hands but don't know how they will size up with Sideswipe.

This is going to be complicated for sure, but I also think it'll turn out well if my WST Jetfire has anything to go by. Of coarse, that was cake-walk in comparison. LOL!

[​IMG]

Any tips, advice, suggestions, comments, is appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  2. cingularman31

cingularman31 Alternator Freak

News Credits:
  3. azdragon58

azdragon58 Well-Known Member

4. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Gundam 1/100 hands might just fit, but I suspect all the others will be too big to fit an Alt body. Why not have a go at scratch building some hands. That's one of the first things I did, and it definitely improves your technique. All you need is some styrene stock, a knife, a pin vice with small bits and a steady hand.

5. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Is Prowl a good choice for the basic figure? I noticed in the re-shelling thread he used Alternator Prime and that the legs went strait down just like G1 Sideswipes did.
    I thought Prowl would've been suitable but his legs do some weird folding and they face backwards.
    I was thinking of Prowl mostly cause of how his hood folds down in front of him, and how his roof becomes his back just like Sideswipe does.

6. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

You could always take the upper half of prowl, and the lower half of Alt prime. As long as the wheelbase lines up pretty well, I don't see how that'd be a project killer. Best of both worlds right?

Randy!

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    [​IMG]