Considering getting a PSP

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Omega Supreme-1, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay for starters, let me start off by telling you my game system situation. Well, I already have a DS, which I adore. I also had 2 PS2s, with my last one dying on me this past spring. I don't think i'm going to bother getting a new PS2, maybe I will when they really drop down. I'm considering asking for a PSP for the holidays though I am really unsure about.

I mainly want it for games that interest me, and i'm not really all that interesting in breaking the mold with game selection. The only titles that really interest me are:
    -Castlevania: Dracula X
    -Metal Slug Anthology (I'd love to have all 6 Metal Slugs portable)
    -Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
    -Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops+
    -Mega Man Powered Up
    -Mega Man X: Maverick Hunter
    -Final Fantasy 1 remake
    -Final Fantasy Tactics remake
    -Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (Missed out on it when it came to PS2)
    -Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (I'm really interested in this title)
    -Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core (Looking forward to this too)
    -Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

Games I might be interested in:
    -Monster Hunter series
    -Fighting games (though I hear the D-Pad sucks on the PSP :/ )
    -Silent Hill Origins

Games I don't care about in the slightest:
    -Grand Theft Auto series
    -Wrestling/Sports/Racing games

So, tell me...is the PSP really for me? Could you suggest some software titles beyond the ones I named that are actually worth getting?

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    -Castlevania: Dracula X
    Decent game, but the better game is the unlockable Circle of the moon
    -Metal Slug Anthology (I'd love to have all 6 Metal Slugs portable)
    I need to get this as well
    -Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
    Great game
    -Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops+
    Pretty much more of an add on than an actual game
    -Mega Man Powered Up
    okay
    -Mega Man X: Maverick Hunter
    Good game
    -Final Fantasy 1 remake
    don't have
    -Final Fantasy Tactics remake
    Don't have
    -Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (Missed out on it when it came to PS2)
    Want
    -Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (I'm really interested in this title)
    Not out yet
    -Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core (Looking forward to this too)
    Out only in Japan
    -Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
    Don't have

Games I might be interested in:
    -Monster Hunter series
    Don't have
    -Fighting games (though I hear the D-Pad sucks on the PSP :/ )
    I have Guilty gear which is okay
    Tekken which is great
    Darkstalker which is good
    Tekken portible rules!

-Silent Hill Origins
    Excellent game

Siphon Filter games are good
    There are also many good ports like Marvel Ultimate alliance.

3. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get it and be sure to get your "special firmware" lol. All those games you mentioned are great or at least pretty good so yes,GET IT! GET IT! GET IT!

4. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    I like my PSP, but I don't use it enough to justify keeping it. I prefer my 360 games, especially since most of them are ones I can play with the missus. So I am getting rid of my PSP. If you're interested in a PSP only slightly used, in great shape, and maybe even some of the games and accessories I have (including both Mega Man games, which were my two favorites), let me know. I can be emailed at victorysabre@hotmail.com Or respond here. I can take pics if you like. All mine is missing is the cover of the joy stick which is replaceable from kits. Because that's missing I can work on the price though.

5. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Yeah with the right firmware the PSP is a great Emulator Machine

6. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well i'm familiar with "special firmware", though I don't think I want to go to the trouble to do such. If I get a PSP it will be a "Christmas gift" from my family; which really means i'll be picking it up, and wrapping it myself to put under the Christmas tree.

I have a 10 yr old little brother who we are trying to keep very niave and believing. However, my Parents have become rather...needy...and thus I end up taking care of everything. They work hard, and earn a good income, they've just become entirely dependent on me to do a lot. When i'm not home to clean, the house is literally a wreck and i'm expected to clean it all up; they don't even hang up their own clothes in their closet -_-;

Last Christmas, I did pretty much all the shopping for myself and my two siblings; as well as wrapping it all. I kind of expect it to be the same situation this year again with me doing all the work...

So, if the PSPs D-pad better than i've been led to believe? If so then i'd consider picking up the following:
    -Tekken: Dark Ressurection
    -Street Fighter 3 Alpha MAX
    -Guilty Gear Judgement or importing Guilty Gear XX #Reload depending which is better
    -Darkstalkers Chronicle: Chaos Tower

I'm also thinking about importing Super Robot Wars MX Portable, assuming PSP games are region free.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the original model's d-pad and face buttons sucked for fighting games. the slim does not share those problems.

8. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay, i'll have to keep that in mind...I really appreciate the info, because I really do dig fighting games.

9. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    I also happen to have Street Fighter Max and Dark Stalkers Chaos. A few RPGs also, and the TF game, and some stuff...

10. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Do comparative shopping for used games. You might be able to save $5 or more per title.

11. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

and with "Pandora" on the scene it's easier then ever to get "the right firmware".

12. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can vouch for Pandora, brought my otherwise screwed firmware down with out a hitch.

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    People who haven't done it seem to think the open firmware is hard to do - it really isn't difficult to install at all, depending on what official firmware you have to start with.

14. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had the latest firmware and I just de-soldering the battery, uploaded the software and the rest just was a yes here and there and poof done.

15. domientius

Truth be told, I'd rather use my new Slim for the games I bought. Homebrew is nice but I'd rather get a used old model PSP to do that with.

16. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thats why there is "3.71 M33-2" complete freedom from sony to play anything I want and still all there games without worry.

17. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    As for the D-Pad, I have a D-Pad cover that came with Tekken when you Pre-Ordered it and turns the otherwise heinous D-Pad into something like the Genesis D-pad. You can find them on Ebay for about $5, and if you like fighting games I highly recomend it!

18. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

Let's go through this list together. Hold hands everyone!

-Castlevania: Dracula X--HELLS YEAH BOYEEEEE.... er, ahem. This is definitely a must buy.

-Metal Slug Anthology--I love love LOVE this game, but the load times are f'ing BRUTAL. Even loading the part 2 of a level after a screen wipe can take 30 seconds, so be forewarned.

-Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops--YES.

-Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops+--don't know, have yet to pick it up.

-Mega Man Powered Up--This is probably the best idea Capcom had in a while, honestly. There's enough variety (including remixed levels) that I'd buy this brand-new all over again.

-Mega Man X: Maverick Hunter--Again, another great idea from Capcom. YES.

-Final Fantasy 1 remake--haven't played it

-Final Fantasy Tactics remake--OMG JOYGASM! I hate RPGs for the most part, but this grabbed me on PS1 and now its badass successor has me by the balls.

-Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness--again, haven't seen this

-Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep --wow, this is the first I've heard of this one.

-Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core--haven't played it

-Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth--see above

-Monster Hunter series--eh, it's actually more fun on PSP but something about it just didn't hold my interest for some reason.

-Fighting games--this is a weird dichotomy for me. I own Darkstalkers and Street Fighter Alpha 3 because they ported them over and added a dose of AWESOME but I barely play them because of the D-pad issues. I'm trying to track down one of those things that fits over the D-pad like Shin-Gouki describes.

-Silent Hill Origins--WOW. This game impressed me. Go get it.

-Grand Theft Auto series--honestly, there's not a whole lot of innovation, but you're still cheating youself out of a dump truck full of fun. Plus it kinda fills in the gaps between GTAs on PS2.

-Wrestling/Sports/Racing games--it all depends. The wrestling games are still kinda fun in an old-skool way, and the sports games can be pretty interesting (I like Madden and FIFA on PSP). The racing games, however, can either be a bag of bite-sized Snickers or a complete chore to play. Some games break up the races into bite-sized chunks o'fun you can complete while someone drives you to the store, whereas others try to keep the open-field gameplay and wind up making a game that you spend 3/4th of you time staring at a loading screen. Fast and the Furious for PSP was the worst since they tried to keep the open-field deal, and on top of that they crammed so much detail and so much speed into the screen that it ended up hurting the title--everything became a Jackson Pollock painting after 5 seconds and it just wasn't fun.

As far as recommendations, I'm going to say get The Warriors--that game is friggin' AWESOME to death. Also, I'd definitely buy Tekken: Dark Resurrection (which is a technical marvel in itself), any of the Capcom Classics Reloaded UMDs, Daxter, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, Lumines I and II, Twisted Metal: Head-On, Killzone: Liberation, both of the Syphon Filter games and Field Commander.

19. domientius

Final Fantasy- it's got widescreen play, new redrawn hi-res graphics, the CGI cutscenes from the PS1 version, and all the extra dungeons of the GBA Dawn of Souls version, plus 1 extra dungeon. Same for FFII. Downside is they're $30 apiece, not combined like DoS was.

Valkyrie Profile- not played my copy yet but as the PS1 version still tops $100 on eBay even after this version came out, I'd say get it.

20. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

Also, you might want to invest in one of these things: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=802105

I switched over to the analog nub as opposed to the flat disc for the graphitti minigame in The Warriors, found out I got a lot better control on basically everything else, and haven't looked back since.