Considering Gamefly, opinions wanted!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by grimlock1972, Aug 6, 2012.

1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Now that I got a PS3 I am considering getting a Gamefly account as it would allow me to try some games I am iffy about before buying.

So is it a good deal , any issues I should know about

2. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I was a Gamefly member for about a year in 2008. I cancelled the service because they were really bad about sending me games I was interested in and would more often than not, wind up with games that were six or seven down in my queue; and turn around time between sending a game back and getting a new game for me was about three weeks.

...and the games I did get wound up just sitting around collecting dust for weeks or months as I was busy playing games I'd *purchased* and were way more invested in at the time. So I was essentially giving them free money most of the time.

About the only thing I did like was that if you enjoyed a game, you could choose to keep the copy they already had and they'd send you out the box and paperwork. All of which were *usually* in far better condition that Gamestop's used games, and the box wasn't all fucked up with nasty pre-owned price stickers. ...but even that wasn't full proof.

I wasn't renting it at the time, but they had a steep sale on used games and I purchased The Darkness for Xbox 360. The disc they send me was putrid with scratches and scuffs, 360 couldn't read it at all. I arranged an exchange, which was easy enough and sent them the game and box back. The next copy they sent had no disc at all! All customer service could do for me was refund my money and advise I buy another copy as they, "Couldn't send out just the disc." ...which had me thinking, "You can't send just the disc? Isn't that your entire business model!?"

So, I cancelled, and left them a pretty hefty feedback form, explaining my disappointment at both their inability to have enough copies of any given game in stock as well as their crappy turn-around time, and did so at great length.

But, that was four years ago. They've since opened more distribution centers and you can kinda kite the system into getting them to send you what you really want by keeping your queue to only one or two games at a time.

If you're on a strict budget and there're a lot of games you want to try, its at least worth a shot, I'd say. But I can't exactly give them a glowing recommendation, either.

3. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I done it for a while. It takes forever to get popular games. Most games that you can get easily are the ones that are already 30 and under in stores. The problem with game fly is if you are an online player you usually stick with a game for a while and you can't do that with game fly.
    I didn't like it I rather buy a game. If you can stream on your ps3 that would be cool but you can't.

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've been using it for a few years now. I started out treating it like Netflix. You cannot do that. They will haphazardly send games from your queue for no rhyme or reason. Here's what I do, and I always get games that I actually want to play.

• Put "Coming Soon" games in your queue as soon as they are announced.
    • Keep no more than 2-3 games in your queue at a time. Make sure they are ones you want to play and you will always get something you want. They actually prioritize people with smaller Game Q's.
    • When a game is about to come out, make sure you have sent any games back at least 3 days in advance of it. And make sure the new game will be the only released game in your Game Q. I do this all the time and get games on release day without fail.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Thanks for the advice.