Considering A Scientifically Accurate Beast Wars...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Alphard, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

That's just referring to the episode Megatron convinced Ravage to join his side. Not everything in that description happened in that episode. If you looked at the episode summery pages, you'd see the Ark isn't mentioned until part III.

2. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

True, but it doesn't make sense for the Ark page to mention part 2 if the Ark was never in that episode. It goes on after that quote I posted before to talk about part 3 but all it says for 3 is..

"After failing to destroy the Maximal base, he traveled to the crash site, where he forced Blackarachnia to deactivate the security systems of Teletraan I and allow him access to the Ark's bridge. Observing that he was walking in the hallowed halls of the past as somebody who was soon to change the very course of history, he flew to the prone form of Optimus Prime and unleashed a torrent of pent-up rage over what he felt was Maximal injustice toward the conquered Predacons. He then fired at Optimus Prime's head, which created a time storm. The Agenda (Part III)"

Notice how at the end of the quote there's a reference to what episode it's referring to. Part 2 might not mention the Ark but the Ark mentions part 2... which is really weird. Both pages should cross reference with each other.

Also I just noticed, I don't know how this happened but for some reason the Ark link I posted before went to the Agenda part 2 instead of the Ark. I think I've fixed it now but I have no idea how that link ended up going to the wrong page.

3. Alphard

Alphard The Munkky With A Bowl On Its' Head

It at least had a cape, and I just picked the easiest thing to find to get my point across. There's an artistic depiction I like somewhere else, but I couldn't find it.
    Or are you one of those "T-REX DIDNT HAVE FEATHERS" people?

Me too. I come back to the thread to find people arguing about the Axalon and the Ark.
    Would techno-organics be considered cyborgs???

• Like Like x 1
  4. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

I think "cyborg" implies integration between biology and technology, like how the Cybermen are cyborgs and Iron Man isn't. In season 1 at least, the beast mode shells acted like armor, and the reverse (a human wearing metal armor) wouldn't be called a cyborg, so in that case no... After TM II it's anybody's guess though.

5. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

The Transmetal forms seemed to integrate elements of the organic bits directly into their mechanical parts. I'd say that the Transmetal characters were at least close to being cyborgs, on account that they were still otherwise mechanical. TM II's though, yeah, I'll call them cyborgs of a sort.

As for the main part of the thread, I'd say keep Rhinox as a Rhino and you're solid. I don't mind the idea of Optimus Primal as a bear. The name still works fine, since the word primal doesn't have anything to do with his being an ape. I'd love it if we got a re-imagined Beast Wars at some point with ideas like this.

6. Sparky Prime

The discussion was more about locations within Beast Wars, because you'd said in your first post that you settled on placing it somewhere in North America. Which I'm still wondering why by the way, since you never really gave a reason for that.

7. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

"Primate"

8. motorthing

motorthing Polarised.

News Credits:
    They find the Ark, which crashed in Oregon. So at least some of BW is in NA.

9. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

I'm kinda surprised at myself for not bringing up my name sooner but... my whole shtick is based on BW Iguanus Transforming into a frilled-neck agama, and the agamidae family being completely separate from the iguanidae family.

Are there any other characters in Beast Wars with scientifically inaccurate names?

10. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Feathered dinosaurs will never be taken seriously in entertainment.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

The early version of Optimus Primal transformed into a bat. I'm pretty sure "primal" had more to do with transforming into a beast in general than it had anything to do with transforming into a gorilla. Even the word on it's own isn't inherently about primates.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

The word primal means primitive or early (in the historical sense), like "the primal swamp from whence life arose" or whatever. The reason it sounds similar to 'primate' is that they are both based on a Latin word that meant "first". (Same with "primordial" and "primitive" and "prime".)

I think with "primate" the idea was either "first (before man)" or "first among the beasts" (due to resembling humans and being quite intelligent). It's a fairly recent word (first used to refer to apes etc in 1876), so by the time it was in use Charles Darwin's Origin of the Species had already been published.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The organic beast forms are integrated beyond being mere shells. For example, they are able to eat and digest food and convert it to energon. They also inherit some instincts and personality traits from their beast forms, suggesting the organics are somehow integrated even as far as their main processors. Inferno would've been completely different otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ron8675309

ron8675309 Exploding Salamander Of Exploding Salamanders

They're two different and unrelated words. In this case Optimus Primal was named so to make a pun off Optimus Prime that would relate to having a beast mode. As noted, his beast mode wasn't even originally a primate.

15. Sparky Prime

Yeah, that's already been mentioned. But that's not until the end of season 2 into season 3. From all indications the series gives us though, the Maximals and Predacons crashed somewhere in Africa/Europe.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Alphard

Alphard The Munkky With A Bowl On Its' Head

I was thinking about Beast Machines when I asked that. I'm very curious as to how the organic and mechanical bits worked together in that show.

I would think that the Ark would be in North America, and since so much of the plot hinges on the Ark I placed it there, since there would be no plot significance of BW taking place in Africa. Not that I have anything against it being in Africa, it just made more sense intuitively to place them in North America around Mt. Helens.

17. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

1) BW, as much as I loved it, has so many geological record guffaws it hurts. The best way to explain it is that it takes place in a parallel 1984/G1 timeline wherein the ark and Nemesis crash somewhere in Africa, not Oregon. Them being there creates an alternate timeline that any knowledge of events 1984 forward would be completely useless to them.

2) I say do away with the entire original crew as recycled characters in new bods. What made BW so fun and fresh was that it was NOT the same characters from 1984. Eventually Starscream and Ravage made cameos but why not have a whole new crew?

3) I always thought it would be great to see beasts from right before the last ice age (giant sloth, sabertooth tiger, giant armadillo, 3-toed horse, etc.) Or B) set it in present-day earth where the forms are scanned from a zoo or a wildlife preserve. Would be nice to see an organic form evolve or he augmented into cyberform and be unleashed upon present circumstances.

-Kronatron

• Like Like x 1
  18. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused

The two ships didn't crash in the same place to begin with so I'm not sure why you're saying they both crash landed in Oregon

Also I don't see why the site of the crashed ark needs to be changed, would you mind explaining that to me

19. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

Sorry, my post did seem a bit ambigious now that you mention it. What I meant is that the angle of entry for both the ark and Nemesis could have placed each in significantly different locations if the angle of declination was say 15-degrees different.

The issue I have with a geologically accurate BW is that at that stage of early anthropoid development, continental drift doesn't give enough time to place the Ark anywhere near Africa if we are to believe the ark is still inside Mt. St. Hillary. Nor would the presumed proximity of the landing sites for the Axalon and the Darkseid be anywhere close to present geological features shown throughout all the episodes.

There are some plausible cop-outs:
    A) The Vok did something to hasten continental drift (and set off a couple of ice ages in the process?).
    B) The Vok transplanted the ark in another volcano in the North American continent after Primal and co. departed.
    C) It's not Earth at all but a museum (or laboratory) replica of it, down to re-created autobots and decepticons, and it all takes place in the present, which is how after centuries of drifting in space, Starscream's spark wound up millions of years in the past(?)
    D) Parallel Universe Earth. This is the one I prefer, as it allows for more wiggle room in the suspension of disbelief. Trans-Warp's funny that way. Do the maximals make it back to cybertron of their (our) original universe, or do the events of BM take place in an alternate reality, unbeknownst to even them?

-Kronatron

20. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

Ahhhh
    Your issues retain more to real-world science and History

I get it thank you very much for going into that