Considering A Scientifically Accurate Beast Wars...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Alphard, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Alphard

Alphard The Munkky With A Bowl On Its' Head

I love science. All forms of it.

Lately I've been throwing myself headfirst into natural history... while I happen to be doing my fourth BW rewatch.

This made all of the scientific inaccuracies very apparent, and I decided to wonder what BW would look like if it had updated its' rendition of the setting based on what we know now, opposed to what we knew back in '94. Although there are some problems with the science it had even then, too, which I'll mention when it becomes relevant.

My first issue was with figuring out what time period to slot them into. I ended up deciding to go with the Pleistocene, as that was when I could find the best parallels for the beast forms.

The second problem was... where were they? I didn't want to get too far into the logistics of trying to rationalize exactly where they were as every detail about their surroundings are oblique, so I just settled for "somewhere on the north american continent".

Then I got to the fun part: the beast modes. I'll list each character and what I chose for a beast mode. If I made a mistake in any of these, feel free to point them out. And by mistake, I mean "scientific mistake", not the opinionated "THIS IS WRONG BECAUSE NOT X" type of mistake. Though ofc I am open to opinions.

Optimus Primal: SHORT-FACED BEAR

[​IMG]
    Immediately, I know this is gonna be kinda weird because, well... he's not a munkky. But I couldn't find any ancestor of the great apes on the north american continent, so I went with something that would maintain the size and general look of Primal's root mode. If anything, he'd be slightly taller than he was in canon. (or not. He was a very large gorilla in BW...)

Rhinox: MASTODON
    [​IMG]
    Thiiis one I'm not sure of. I kinda picked the mastodon because I liked it better than just a Rhinoceros, but I think that there still were rhinos in north america at the time of the Pleistocene so I'm not sure. I avoided a woolly mammoth mostly due to Ice Age. I don't want any Ice Age jokes with Rhinox because... No.

Cheetor: AMERICAN CHEETAH
    [​IMG]
    I dunno if they did this on purpose in BW or not, but there were cheetahs in north america during the Pleistocene. Kind of an obvious pick. American Cheetahs had a similar look to modern cheetahs, except for the more cougar-like fur patterning that it's generally depicting as having, sometimes with muted or faded spots and a slightly more robust build.

Rattrap: OVERSIZED PACKRAT
    [​IMG]
    Now I don't know *which* type of packrat he'd be, but he could be a packrat. Rattrap's beast mode is the one I've put the least amount of thought into since... well, there are rats all over the world and they wouldn't make him look that different.

Dinobot: UTAHRAPTOR or DAKOTARAPTOR
    Yes. Not a velociraptor. Why? Dinobot's the "Jurassic Park" type velociraptor... in that it's not even really a velociraptor. Actual velociraptors were teeny tiny lil predators that could run fast. Dinobot'd be way too small to be accurate to his original size if he retained this alt mode.
    Velociraptor scale:
    [​IMG]
    The closest thing to what he looked like in the original series would be the Utahraptor.
    [​IMG]
    Which is... much larger. (Utahraptor's the big brown one, number 5.)
    [​IMG]

Utahraptor is really cool, yes, but there's a more recent discovery that'd be even more fun than this...
    A Dakotaraptor.
    [​IMG]

Discovered in 2005, it was found in the hell creek formation, which is where there are also T-Rex remains. I mean, it'd be cool if the Darksyde scanned animals from the hell creek formation for their beast modes???

Dakotaraptor is a very large member of this family, and might make Dinobot even taller in bot mode.
    [​IMG]

Tigatron: SABER-TOOTHED TIGER
    [​IMG]
    Oooh. The biggest problem with Beast Wars upon its' first airing is... almost everything about Chain of Command, in terms of scientific accuracy. Even when Beast Wars aired it was common knowledge that white tigers are a result of a genetic anomaly and are essentially just ordinary tigers except without the orange. Well, aside from generally having other genetic anomalies, such as being cross-eyed along with other mutations. So the whole "snow cat" thing is kinda wrong, and it would make a lot more sense if Tigatron were a smilodon.

Airazor: A FALCON
    I think she can stay the same... but if not, there's an extinct hawk that looks like it would work for an alt-mode.

Silverbolt: DIRE WOLF / AN EAGLE
    [​IMG]

Another easy choice. Basically the same.

Megatron: T-REX... with feathered back and neck!
    [​IMG]
    I want more feathered dinosaurs in general. You may have noticed I didn't mention the feathers when talking about Dinobot's alt mode, mostly because I wanted to save talking about this for Megatron. There is a 99% chance Tyrannosaurus Rex had feathers. If you don't believe me, google it yourself because I don't want to get into the whole debate, so just watch this youtube video that explains the feathers debate and which dinosaurs had feathers:

Imagine Megatron with vibrant purple feathers... maybe the feathers on the neck and top of head tipped in green? I'm thinking kinda bearded vulture type feathers around the head and neck area with purple and green feathers. What I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]

Terrorsaur: QUETZALCOATLUS
    Another one of the "not exactly the same thing, but more fun" choices, I want to make Terrorsaur the largest animal that's ever flown.
    [​IMG]
    Long at them loooong necks. These things could fly... which would be quite the sight to see. It's not like these aren't intimidating, either. These wouldn't look so bad if one didn't know quite how large they really were.
    [​IMG]
    I wouldn't want one of those flying toward me, nope.

Tarantulas, and all of the other Arthropods: THE SAME
    I think...? I'm not sure. I haven't been able to find much on the history of arthropods aside from bees. I'll continue learning and update this when I find out, though.

I'm getting sleepy, so I'll post other thoughts later. If you want to discuss what effect this would have on the Beast Wars, I am aaaalll for talking about it! I wonder if Primal'd have the urge to hibernate? If Megs and Dinobot would routinely preen their feathers? etc.

(A side note about the Mastodon and Short-faced bear: there's a mastodon fossil specimen that has short-faced bear claw marks on the bone. Neat.)

• Like Like x 7
  2. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Apart from the marine creatures that Quetzalcoatlus is the scariest thing i ever saw in a dinosaur show.

3. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

That tail would make for one wicked rotate-blade, I'm totally on board with this. I've always thought Beast Wars had the potential to be a more educational show and it's cool to see someone take full advantage of that. Dunno if this defeats the point or not, but some name changes for the top two might make their new forms a little less jarring, "Optimus Primal" into "Optimus Ursa", and "Rhinox" into "Rhastox" or "Rhinodon" for example.

4. Dropkick

Dropkick Worse aim than Misfire.

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Ok I'm just gonna say this right off the bat.
    Megatron does NOT work having feathers on him.
    A Tyrannosaurus does not have feathers! Tyrannosaurus fossils, Skin prints, and all other pieces of evidence specifically show that a Tyrannosaurus did not have feathers. IT IS PROVEN IN THE SCIENTIFIC AND GEOLOGICAL TIME SCALE.
    Besides, most dinosaurs that would've had feathers were located more in the Eastern Asia area. (I.e Psittacosaurus, Velociraptor, Protoceratops)

And now that I think of it, why a T-Rex?
    I think maybe to be scientifically accurate, maybe a Giganotosaurus would work.

Skorponok would be either a Eurypterid or one of those giant scorpions we find in BBC's "Before the dinosaurs/ Walking with Monsters"

Waspinator could also be one of those giant arse insects (I heard that Wasps were the size of Eagles then) from the Carboniferous.

Tarantulas...... Megarachne (or Mesothelae whatever). That's really all I need to say about this monstrosity.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GuardianPrime19

GuardianPrime19 Prime

News Credits:
    Umm sorry to busy your bubble... but it's scientifically proven that Tyrannosaurs and many other theropod dinosaurs were feathered. We have evidence that T-Rex may have lost its feathers as it matured from juvenile to adult but there were feathers

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dropkick

Google+:
    YouTube:
    I can live with that. Maybe. I just can't see a T-rex that I grew up with, (JP version) having feathers on it like a Yutyrannus did.

7. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal N/A

News Credits:
    I wish Beast Wars had as many toy lines and re-imaginings as G1. Because then we would probably get a line of toys like this that were "historically accurate" interpretations of the characters. It'd be like the Alternators of Beast Wars.

I kind of really like the idea of Megatron with feathers. I imagine he'd primp and comb them a lot. He'd probably look very regal. Or maybe he'd just look like he's wearing a Joker-colored pimp coat.

• Like Like x 7
  8. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

In regards to accuracy, Inferno and Waspinator both have female alt modes. (Soldier ants are all female. And Waspinator has a stinger, which means his alt mode is female since stingers are modified ovipositors.) I am guessing the gender of the creature being scanned just doesn't matter in relation to the gender of the Cybertronian. But I did think it was a little strange that Inferno referred to Megatron as "my queen", yet used male pronouns for himself. (His whole thing was that his beast-scan had been messed up and he still thought he was an actual ant.) But then again, maybe "my queen" was more about the title and less about gender.

Man, now I'm thinking about Inferno expecting Megatron to fulfill the role of a queen ant, which is basically to lay a ton of eggs. "My liege!! I am ready to transport your eggs to safety and I will BUUUUUURRRN all those who threaten them!!" "I TOLD you, you miserable bug, I do not do that." Inferno must have been a real trial to Megs.

• Like Like x 4
  9. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

OK the first problem with this is changing the beast modes. What does this have to do with being scientificly accurate when you're just changing their alternate modes on a whim. You might as well be making an entirely different cast of characters if you're going to do that. Rhinox has to be a rhino, it's in the name, you can't just change him into a completly different animal and call it scientifically accurate.

• Like Like x 2
  10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I don't know where you're hosting those images from, but they are crashing the shit out of Safari on my iPad.

11. Dropkick

Google+:
    YouTube:
    :bowdown: 

12. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. LegionMaximus

Well, I hope the Utahraptors were feathery because I want to see Dinobot poofing his feathers out whenever he's frustrated. (Or is that just a cat thing?)

14. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem. I thought it was just cause I have an old cheap out of date tablet till you said your iPad was crashing too.

15. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Birds definitely do that too, I've seen it on my friend's cockatiel.

[Found a pic]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  16. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Why North America? I always got the impression the show took place largely in Africa/Europe, until the Maximals had to move to North America to protect the Ark.

17. Dropkick

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Yeah well most of the show's locations didn't really make any sense.
    The first season looks like it took place in Africa with the likes of Cheetahs, Rhinos, and Gorillas, but then there's the Predacon crash site, with Tyrannosaur and Pteranodon fossils, which only really appeared near areas like Europe, Texas, or Hell Creek, Montana. None of the show's stuff made sense.

18. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    We need some fan art of this.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL Stopped reading after this, totally scientific:

• Like Like x 2
  20. LegionMaximus

Heh heh, awesome cockatiel picture!

The Maximal base was definitely meant to be in Africa. There was a cheetah right outside the downed Maximal ship that Cheetor raced with. Yeah, there's no way to reconcile that with the dinosaur species (unless the Predacon base was REALLY far away, which it didn't seem to be). But gorillas, cheetahs, rhinos, and early hominids = Africa.

One of the big inaccuracies was Tigertron being a white tiger, which is not a normal occurrence in nature. Almost all the white tigers in zoos, shows, etc, are highly inbred individuals who's ancestry goes back to a single white tiger cub that was caught many decades ago. I guess the best assumption is that Snowstalker was just a super rare anomaly and that Tigertron scanned her and thus got her coloration. But it does bother me a little that Hasbro promoted the "there are white tigers who live in snow!" myth.