Cons underused!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dmhead, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Dmhead

Dmhead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Growing up, I loved Megatron and the Decepticons. To me the movies never did the decepticons justice except the first movie. Even that they let Spike Kill Megatron how lame. I just wish they could have stayed true to how powerful Megatron really was. The old Megatron would have never worked for The Fallen or Sentinel Prime. Never. Only Unicron controlled Megatron. Just my two cents.

2. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    Prepare for the "this isnt G1" responses. But I agree with you.

3. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Do we seriously need another thread like this....

4. al91176

al91176 Decepticon

OP, you better put on your flame resistant clothing..... but I do agree.

5. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    Sam not Spike but I think the every character besides Optimus and Bumblebee was underused but people have to understand that its hard to give people equal screen time while maintaining the core plot without having very long movies.

6. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Reborn Comics Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.

7. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    I could see this Megatron working with Sentinal, then maybe kill him after their plan was done and he didn't need him.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I agree, when a movie says Transformers in the title I'd be expecting a lot more out of the Decepticons because in the various cartoon series you've had Decepticons as important characters. Just feels kind of disappointing when you can read the back of the toy packaging and know more about a character than you did in the movie.

As to Megatron, yea I could Beast Wars, Animated, or Transformers Prime Megatron taking out The Fallen and Sentinel Prime rather than having to take a back seat to their leadership. Heck Beast Wars Megatron would have killed the Fallen in his chair and said something like "Looks like we didn't need a Prime after".

9. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the 'Cons were kinda dumb. Some never bothered to scan a earth mode while others did. The ones that did like the garbage truck in #3 never bothered to do anything. And why did that one scan? They done took over.... The ones who don't scan, most are unidentifiable. Who the hell are they? Anyhow, Megatron didn't do anything with his truck mode. He could've at least had some kinda showdown with Optimus a la Prime/Motormaster....

10. Number1sikko

Number1sikko Autobot

News Credits:
    This x2

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Fellow Decepticon fan here, OP. Totally agree with your opinion - only in the first film did the Decepticons present anything approaching a credible threat. And that still died pretty quick when those damn sabot rounds entered the picture. Hoping for a reboot that does our favorite villains proper justice.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Pretty much all the TFs were underused. As the villians, there is less need for the cons to have screentime devoted to characterization that will cause the audience to identify and sympathize with them. As such, they exist primarily as targets and monstrous two dimensional cutouts that exist to advance the plot.

One could also say the majority of the autobot cast, if not all, is underused as well.

Megatron's "fall from power" in ROTF and DOTM was an opportunity for the character to really move into some interesting territory that had only really been covered in the comics previously, and not exhaustively, but it was a character arc that was very poorly developed, and felt more geared towards showing the new villain-du-jour as so much MORE badass than Megatron was. "Japanese villain syndrome", and all that.

Having the humans play an integral role in the downfall of the Decepticons isn't a bad idea, especially in a movie set in the real world, and in some cases in the three films I felt it worked, and some cases I felt it didn't. Having Spike/Sam, whose character arc in the first film centres around learning the value of sacrifice, be the final barrier between Megatron and victory, and eventually making the choice that defeats him, wasn't all that "lame" to me, but I can see how people would want the battle to be decided by the Cybertronians, like it has been in most other incarnations of the franchise before.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

By the second movie I was wondering what's the point in scanning any Earth vehicle. Other robots can detect you in vehicle mode so you aren't hiding from them and NEST can detect you in vehicle mode as well by the second film.

14. Hellscream15

Hellscream15 Hi... Bl

oh yeah, wiping out half of chicago and washington and killing wheeljack isnt much. *sarcasm*