Connection Between the Pillars and Earth's H20?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Hazekiah, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    In the process of compiling my exhaustively comprehensive list of product placements in this particular movie [*ahem* http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...duct-placement-shout-out-list-right-here.html ], I began to take notice of the STRONG connection this film (perhaps coincidentally) establishes between Sentinel Prime's Space Brige Pillars and Earth's water.

First, my initial observation from that thread which started me down this path...

I initially thought THAT was pretty much the extent of it, but now I believe there's potentially a bit more going on there.

If you pay close attention, the Pillars/H2O connection is actually rather pervasive throughout the entirety of the film.

For example:

Sentinel Prime, upon retrieving the Pillars, takes them IMMEDIATELY to the Potomac River and spreads them out over it, perhaps appearing to "charge" them there before activating the Space Bridge to begin the Decepticon invasion.

The site chosen for the charging and activation of the Control Pillar before its most enormous feat -- the transportation of an ENTIRE PLANET -- is RIGHT on the banks of the Chicago River, which is itself an offshoot of Lake Michigan, one of the 5 largest lakes in the entire world.

All of the sites around the world where the Pillars are activated appear to be coastal locations beside LARGE bodies of water.

Even the Angkor Wat temple, which APPEARS a bit landlocked in the footage shot for the movie, happens to be on a peninsular part of the continent, as well as being very near to the largest lake in that part of the country.

Not to mention the fact that the temple site itself is surrounded by a giant moat.

Pretty good start.

And, yes...water covers the majority of the planet so obviously it's never really very far anyway no matter WHERE you go, but still. They could've easily filmed those scenes ANYWHERE. Plenty of dry spots to choose from around the world.

And then there's the matter of the effects designed for the Pillars.

All the Pillars glow BLUE (except for the Control Pillar) and project BLUE beams of energy, connecting them visually with water for the audience...just as the Control Pillar could be said to be colored red not only to distinguish it from the others, but ALSO as a visual cue to link it with Sentinel for the audience (he himself being primarily red, of course).

Also, listen closely to the sound effects when the Space Bridge beams are transporting Cybertron to Earth. As the energy pulses and throbs in waves, there's actually a distinct "blub-blub" sound akin to that of bubbling water accompanying it. Every time.

o_O 

You've gotta admit, that's a DAMNED weird choice if they WEREN'T trying to draw some kind of connection there.

Now, taken individually, any one of these things could easily be written off as coincidence. But ALL TOGETHER like this? That seems a bit much.

The pillar-shaped water bottles.

The rivers.

The lakes.

The oceans.

The colors.

The sounds.

Goddamn, practically EVERYTHING about these pillars seems tied to water!

:D 

It seems to me that the film was DEFINITELY working on an association there that just didn't QUITE get fully fleshed out by the script itself. Which is a shame, 'cause it's actually pretty interesting and would go a LONG way towards explaining a certain aspects of the plot.

Did Optimus find Sentinel so easily in D.C. because he KNEW he'd be headed towards the nearest large body of water with the Pillars?

Was the knowledge of Earth's overabundant water supply one of the reasons Sentinel Prime and Megatron decided to rendezvous on Earth in the first place?

Apart from the human slave labor force, was water another of the rare resources available SPECIFICALLY on Earth, to which Sentinel referred and the Decepticons planned to exploit?

And why was it necessary to launch the Pillars from around the entire globe if they were just going to converge together on one side of the Earth anyway?

Did they first need to spread out and individually "charge" over separate bodies of water, perhaps?

Hmm.

Some interesting stuff to think about.

Make of it what you will, I just thought I'd throw it out there.

:) 

2. bonycrushy345

bonycrushy345 Well-Known Member

You're thinking about this a little too much...

3. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I like that idea. I never noticed all or the Pillar's locations were by water. Interesting theroy.

Also, maybe 'your natural resources' was Earth's water.

4. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah...I get that sometimes, lol.

;) 

Just something I couldn't help but notice every time I watched the movie, that's all.

Thanks!

In the novelization (mostly based upon earlier script treatments) they were solar-powered, of course...but the movie's its own beast and it really seems to heavily suggest some water connection there instead.

I'm guessing it's similar to the way the truce-ending was changed, too...they just decided along the way that they wanted to go a different direction and that's that, yet vestiges of the original remain.

5. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is downright baytarded. What possible use would these aliens have for water? Its not fuel for them...that's energon . So I am going to wait for a response.

6. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    No need to keep waiting...it's all right there in the OP. Pure speculation, of course, but it IS speculation driven entirely by the strange accumulation of water-based elements incorporated into and pervasive throughout the film's dealings with the pillars, again, as outlined in the OP.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2011
  7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Voss water is very popular and trendy in Hollywood. It is a coincidence. Why would the pillars be designed to function using water on a planet that has none?

You are REALLY grasping at straws on this one.

8. DecepticusPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No there are not water based elements and I don't get what you are seeing. You seems to be imagining things. Cybertron lacks water, seems to lack an atmosphere, and most definitely lacks water. The pillars would therefore not run on water. I could just as easily claim the pillars are phallus shaped and are powered by Ron Jeremy. Does that make a lick of sense?

9. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dunno bout you guys but after reading the OP im suddenly very thirsty.

10. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Quick recap:

• Water bottles shaped like pillars.
    • Water glasses shaped like pillars.
    • Sentinel going STRAIGHT to the Potomac River after he gets them back.
    • Sentinel spreading them over the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool when he's preparing to use them.
    • Sentinel taking them to Lake Michigan, one of the largest lakes on Earth, when he's ready to transport an entire planet.
    • Housing them in a building on the banks of the Chicago River.
    • Coastal locations for all other pillars, including the Angkor Wat temple, itself also surrounded by a moat.
    • Specific mention made of the pillars bringing Cybertron "into our atmosphere," partially comprised of water.
    • Blue energy glow for the pillars.
    • Blue energy beams from the pillars
    • Bubbling water sound effects for the "waves" of the pillars' space bridge.

Nope, nothin' to do with water there!

*rolls eyes*

Symbolism aside, the bottles of Voss don't really have anything to do with this hypothesis, ultimately. I simply mentioned them due to the possibility that the product placement was used the way it was so as to further add to the growing list of pillar/H20 connections established within the film, and as an aside to illustrate one of the initial observations which started me down this line of thought in the first place.

"Grasping at straws"...?

See above.

Cute, but if you're seriously still saying "there are not water based elements" regarding the movie's handling of the pillars then you're either not paying enough attention to the movie or you're not paying enough attention to this thread. Or both.

It's all been laid out pretty clearly.

We also don't know for a FACT that Cybertron has neither any water at all nor any atmosphere at all, but it's beside the point anyway considering that the films VERY CLEARLY establish that Cybertronians have been visiting other planets and solar systems all over the galaxy/universe for AT LEAST 17, 000 years.

Plenty of time to find some water to play with someplace else.

Even more directly, if the original first generation Primes and Seekers were here -- and they were, obviously -- then it's logically NOT outside the realm of possibility that Sentinel, their descendant AND a scientific genius trying to save a homeworld after at least two ancient, quasi-mystical, Cyberton-saving artifacts ended up on a planet that's 3/4ths water (and which he also has the coordinates for), just might have been able to get his hands on some water and work it into his plans.

Oh, and one last point which should be obvious...

Another part of his plan VERY CLEARLY requires HUMANS for slave labor, after all, and I don't think they had any of those on Cybertron either.

Come on now.

Haha, cheers!

Love your sig, btw!

11. DecepticusPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am gonna go on the assumption that a race of highly advanced robotic beings evolved on a planet without water or atmosphere for the simple fact that IF their world possessed either then they would be fueled by water and they would VERY likely breathe. That's basic science. If the world possesses these basic components of life as we know it then life will evolve to utilize said components. If cybertron does have an atmosphere its probably similar to that of Venus, obviously not very friendly towards wate. So tell ya what, quit over analyzing a Michael bay movie that Contains minimum plot and go her some sunlight. And next time put your hairbrain ideas in ONE thread as an all encompassing movie theories thread

12. DecepticusPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also to counter since they plan to use humans as slave labor and we run on water id say itmakes sense to place pillars near water as they would transport the surrounding water when the times right

13. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    o_O 

I'm just at a loss for words. It's almost like you haven't noticed that there's GIANT ROBOTS BEATING THE SHIT OUT OF EACH OTHER, because you're so busy focusing on things that are completely unimportant and don't matter one damned bit.

Bay himself could come here and say "Wow. That's a big ass load of bullshit." and it still wouldn't change a thing.

I do wonder though...the fact that this guy notices these things...his mind either runs a mile a minute and can't be controlled by meds, or he's a savant of some kind.

Neither one are in his control, but damn, someone's gotta rein him in.

14. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

This may be intentional or maybe not. Personally, I don't think Bay puts that much thought into his movies.

As for Cybertron having water or air, a lot of the Transformers turn into either cars or jets, both of which require some sort of atmosphere to function so there would have to be some sort of atmosphere on Cybertron that would not be too different from Earth's. At least in terms of being able to fly through it. Not to mention that there would have to be some sort of liquid to function as coolant for propulsion systems (in both jets and cars). So there is precedent for, if not actual H2O then something with an adequate chemical make up to function as needed.

And as for the OP's threads, yeah, I think you're trying to find something that isn't there. I mean it's great for you that you can get all of this extra meaning out of it, but it's ultimately up to the creators of the movies to determine whether or not it's a legitimate interpretation. If Bay were to come into this thread and say "Yes, this is totally what we meant to do and here's like, 20 other related things you didn't see" then that validates this as an interpretation. On the other hand, if Bay were to come in and say "Bull#$%@, this was never in the movie and not what we intended" then it's not there to be found. The meaning in the movie is there if the creators put it there, not if the audience finds it. It's not up to us as the audience to interpret what the movie's meaning is. And that's really the issue I have with these threads is that you're essentially finding something that's not there and trying to claim it as a legitimate intrepretation.

15. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pillars produce energy, energy causes heat, pillars overheat, need to cool down, use water, done =3

16. DecepticusPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How is atmosphere required for a car like object to work

17. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    well, a car runs on combustion, which requires oxygen, which is present in the atmosphere.

But the Transformers have shown they can operate without oxygen and fly through space without atmosphere, even in what appears to be a terran jetmode, so it's not really an apt comparison.

18. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

This. And...

What Aerneroth said. Engines in both planes and cars work on combustion. Which means explosions (albeit controlled ones). Any time you have an explosion, you need air. Of some kind (there are several combustable gasses). I mean, how exactly did you think these things worked? On magic dreams and pixie dust?

This would be where the term "soft sci-fi" comes into play. The writers pretty much just have TFs doing whatever they need them to without thought to physics.

19. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    you told the story of Batttle LA - World invasion instead of DOTM ^^

20. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    There are "explosions" that can occur without air, such as nuclear reactions (fusion or fission), anti-matter reactions, and even massive kinetic impacts, but these aren't really explosions in the true sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.