Connecting an N64 to an HDTV-HELP!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Eric, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    After dusting off the old N64 that I still had, and the games that were on it, I figured I could plug it into the HDTV that I had in my room, figuring that it would work. Well, it did, but there was no color; only black and white. I figured the A/V cable was the culprit, and switched it out with a spare that I had. Replugged it in, and I still got a black and white picture. Would I have to trade N64s to get the color to work? Or am I out of luck? The HDTV I have is a 32" LCD Samsung HDTV.

2. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    are you plugging it into the standard AV ports or trying to get it to work through a component cable spot?

if it is the regular AV slot, it just could be an odd incompatibility. You may want to try hunting down S-Video cables for the N64 if the standard ones continue to not work. They're pretty cheap on e-bay.

3. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Samsung TV's are finicky---depending on where you plug it in, you may or may not get composite to work on any particular component spot. (many do not have a dedicated composite spot, they only have component--but there's a workaround)

Specifically, try plugging it into component spot #1. Yes, it'll be a green plug---but Samsungs often have this as this "preferred" spot for composite, and they will take a yellow there just fine.

Overall though, I've never had good luck with Nintendo cables etc---all the way back to my SNES, some cables and TVs were just incompatible--often got black and white. Zenith, Toshiba, etc. Some would only take RF, some only composite, some anything but S-video, etc. Every other system works with every other cable with every TV ever--but Nintendo equipment sometimes just refuses to give color.