Connecting a laptop to a TV?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by SPLIT LIP, Jun 28, 2010.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm hoping someone here will be kind enough to help. This may seem rudimentary to most here, but I'm not really techno-savvy. So how would one do this? I see ports for "PC in" which consists of what looks like a computer moniter jack and an audio jack, and a similar setup on my Laptop.

What kind of cable do I need?

2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Depends on what you want to do exactly. For my situation I hook up my laptop via HDMI with a DVI to HDMI adapter. That way I get the full resolution of my TV. But it sounds like you just need a monitor cable (VGA or DVI) and another cable to carry sound, to either the TV or your receiver.

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What kind of computer do you own?

4. MetroBub

MetroBub 49ers Fan

Also what kind of TV u trying to hook up 2 your laptop ?

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I have a Samsung plasma screen TV and an Acer Netbook. I tried using a computer monitor cable (a friend suggested) but it didn't work.

EDIT: Actually the TV I first tried it on was my Prima LCD screen. THAT's the one that didn't work.

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah that isn't going to work. Your going to need Audio and Video plugs. I'm guessing your acer doesn't have HDMI plugs but look for a VGA, DVI ports. For Audio, just buy a audio plug at Best Buy for 15-20 bucks. It plugs into your headphone port and comes with the red,yellow, white wires for the TV.

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I would be surprised if your TV did not have a 'PC Port' which would just be a VGA port.
    Most still do -even with the dominance of HDMI.

You could also use a VGA to component adapter.
    That would split the VGA into the Red Green Blue for a component input -but you would still need to transfer the audio.

Please, please don't pay that much.
    These guys will ship in a few days and there might be a similar place near you.

HDMI Cable, Wall Plates, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, VGA Cables, Firewire, Video Splitters, Cat5E, Audio Video Cables and more! - Custom Cable Connection

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yup, picked up a VGA cable and it doesn't work. I guess I do need one with the red/yellow/white plugs.

Do retailers sell VGA to component adapters?

9. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I would try Radio Shack (sorry... The Source now) as they tend to carry the oddball adapters. If you strike out there I'd resort to online sources. I have found their selection to be not quite as good as when they were Radio Shack... but you never know.

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Please clarify 'didn't work'.
    If the TV has a VGA in and the PC has VGA out, then it should send video to the TV. You may have the external display disabled in Windows.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Well, as stated my "PC" is an Acer Netbook. (dunno if that changes anything) When I connect it to either of my two TV's (one's a Plasma, the other an LCD) "PC in" ports, the TVs power down, and the netbook shuts off. :/

How would I disable/enable external display?

12. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

It shuts off?
    With my tv on the RGB channel the tv will turn off if it doesn't have a signal within 30 seconds or so.
    To enable the external display go to your control panel, display. Not sure exactly where it is in there but its in there.

Chuck

13. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
  14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah, it would be somewhere in the Display section of the OS (Vista or 7).

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I did. One TV actually has a VGA "channel" and the other has a PC one.

Yeah, I go under display and there's nothing there. There's an option for a "Plug and Play" monitor but it's enabled already.

16. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

when you say the computers "shuts off" do u mean completely? or just the monitor?

what may be happening is the computer is not able to use dual monitors so when you connect the cable it shoots the video out and shuts off the screen

17. expt

expt New Member

I just got a new laptop and enjoying it very much , I was wondering if there is a way to connect the laptop to TV cheaply to watch a DVD playing on the laptop on TV screen. This is just my imagination, but is such a thing possible? If so, please let me know. I'm realizing that computer screen is not quite the same as the TV screen .. it's ok, but TV's better.

18. Warbot Defender

Warbot Defender Banned

The VGA cable should work fine. As for the devices shutting off, there's a reason for that.

The Netbook isn't actually shutting down, but deactivating it's LCD. It's a feature native to Windows Vista and 7. When the computer detects an external video source, it automatically disables the built in screen to save battery life and resources.

The TV may have an Energy Star feature, where if there's no signal, after a certain period of time it'll shut itself off so as to not waste power.

What you need to do is look at your Netbook's keyboard. F4 or F5 will have a TV screen icon on it. Once you find it, here's what you need to do:

1.) Make sure the TV is on the correct input (should say PC or VGA, one of the two.)
    2.) Plug the VGA cable into both the TV and the Netbook.
    3.) Press and hold the fN key in the lower left hand corner of the keyboard, and then press F5 repeatedly (slowly though), until a picture appears on your TV.

You'll have several options. Built in LCD only, LCD and Plasma, Plasma only. You'll either want the duo, or Plasma only.

If that's still not making it work, I'm totally at a loss here. BTW, if your Netbook is running XP Home Edition, it does not have autosensing jacks, most likely. Or if it does, they're not being used because only Vista and 7 seem to be able to do that. I have a laptop with autosensing jacks and it never worked with XP except when plugging in an audio cable.

One other thing, if you close the lid on the laptop, it may put the unit to sleep. Which could be your problem. You can change the setting so it does nothing when you close the lid, but if your settings are as is from the factory, that's where some of your problems are coming from. The Netbook is most likely putting itself to sleep from the lid being closed.

You want to be careful using a computer on a Plasma. They have a well known track record of screen burn-in. Once that happens, the quality will degrade fast.

It all depends on your laptop, honestly. It will have one of three ports for video out, sometimes a combination of the two.

S-Video
    VGA
    HDMI

Here they are:

S-Video
    VGA

or

VGA
    HDMI

Never will you have all three. VGA has 15 or so pinholes, large ones. HDMI looks a bit like a USB port. S-Video is a circular port with a metal ring around it, and has about 5 to 7 small pin holes. You'll know which one it is just by looking. None of them look alike. You must make sure your TV has the correct port that matches your laptop.

If you have an old tube set, then short of having a S-Video port, you won't be able to connect them. If the tv and pc both have HDMI or VGA, just buy the appropriate cable and it'll connect.

Now, about the quality of video on your laptop.

The picture quality should actually look better on your laptop, than on your TV. The video chipset has built in features that will automatically clean up the picture for you, or allow you to tweak it's settings for the best possible picture. My laptop has blown away most of the TVs I've compared it to, and people agreed.

Now, if you're talking about an old tube set with a nice picture, then yeah, it's definitely going to look better than LCD. Old tube sets clean up a lot of the artifacts on the video transfers, and make it look better, but the absolute best picture you can get is a HD source, such as Blu-Ray or H.264 on a HDTV with 1080p. That will definitely blow away any tube set's picture.

19. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

as the above poster said, there's usually a hotkey on laptops that turns toggles the external display. every pc lappy i've used has this, and you need to hit that button after you plug it in.

20. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Make sure you've got the Input set to Computer.