Connect speakers to Tv

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by chaddi_90, Aug 6, 2011.

1. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    Hi!

I just bought a logitech z-906 speaker system, I want to connect it to my tv a Samsung lcd and was wondering if anybody here knows how to connect the speakers to a tv?

2. millerman3732

millerman3732 I remain unconvinced.

News Credits:
    I don't know the model number of your TV but if its not an older LCD it should have a optical output on the back somewhere like this, [​IMG] and your control box for your speakers should have an input that looks the same, you just go to wal mart or radio shack or where ever you buy electronics and get a toslink/optical audio cable plug it in the input of the control box and the out put of the TV and you should be good to go.

3. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Expensive system but it's great from what I've read. It depends on what connections you have available on your TV. The Z-906 can use digital optical, digital coaxial, RCA audio or 3.5 mm out. Just find what matches and buy the correct cables, if you're TV has optical use optical, if not use what it has.

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Whatever you do, stay away from that red light marked 'optical'.

It's the devices optical sensor that detects the user and sends data back to the manufacturer so they can get engineering data.

:p 

5. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    Thanks for the answers. Now I just have to buy some cables.:) 

6. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    Just connected the speakers to my tv via rca cables but I only get 2.1 sound. Would I get 5.1 sound if I bought a digital optical instead and is that cable the only cable I need?

7. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Go for optical if you can, do you know if your TV has optical out? Usually though broadcast TV is going to be in stereo, it's DVD/Blu-Rays/Games that are encoded in surround sound, so you played an HD movie through, let's say a Blu-Ray player, and you had it hooked up to your speakers THEN it would be able to give you the surround sound you're looking for. Why? Because it's encoded that way, normal TV is mostly just stereo.

But I could be mistaken.

8. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    Yes, it has optical out. Okej, I will go down to my local shop and get a optical cable but do you connect it directly to the tv or do you connect it to a xbox/ps3?

9. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Depends on what you want to hear the audio from, the 360/ps3 or your TV. Just hook one end of the cable to the sound system and the other to what you want to hear, be it TV, 360 or PS3. For now I'd just try the TV to see if it gives you surround sound or not.

10. millerman3732

News Credits:
    If your TV will allow for 5.1 pass through(I don't think there made to do that though) it will depend on how you have every thing hooked in to the TV, what exactly do you want to have surround sound? I believe the 906 has 3 digital inputs so you could have up to three devices with surround sound.

11. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    Alright, Thanks for the answer!

12. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most televisions only have a 2 channel digital decoder. This is why they want you to buy a receiver with a multi-channel decoder to get the full sound you require.

The easiest way to do it is to use HDMI to connect your devices to the TV, which will send both audio and video, and then from the TV, use the optical connection to the receiver for the surround sound.

The receiver will "upconvert" the 2 channel sound into 5.1 (or 7.1 if the system is capable), and it'll sound good, but not as good as it would if it was a pure multi-channel connection.

I've owned four HDTVs, none of them had more than 2 channels for decoding. Vizio, Sharp, LG, Samsung, all output 2 channels. Digital, but only 2.

13. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    Thanks for the advise, it going to be a pretty fun day tomorrow playing thru most of my games again with surround sound.:) 

14. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    How's the Z906 treating you? I'm actually tempted to buy one, when I have the money. I had wanted the Z5500 when it was out but now anyone selling it new want's over 800 for it and I just ain't shelling out that kinda scratch for a 5.1 sound system. I might just end up buying the Z506 speakers, but for now I guess I'll stick to my old G-530 speakers since they still work.

15. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    I can't believe I have lived so long without them. I was actually about to buy the z-5500 because my friend recommended them to me but they weren't so many available in shops near me. I ended up going to an electronics shop, tested them out and thought the sound was really good imo so I bought them.
    I haven't really used them to their full potential but I will when Batman:AC,AC:R etc. comes out and off course Transformers:D OTM(blue ray edition).

16. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Another quick note: Make sure that your cable box/satellite receiver is set to transmit stereo/surround. I had to detach everything in my living room a couple of months ago to have some water damage fixed and found out that my cable box defaults to mono when it's unplugged. Then make sure your TV settings are also set correctly.

You should have been able to get 5.1 out of the RCA cables.

17. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    I do get 5.1 sound out of the RCA cables, I just had to tinker a bit with my tv.:) 

18. millerman3732

News Credits:
    I try not to tell people what their doing is not the best way to do it especially if their enjoying it, after all its your stuff and you can do what you want with it. But in this case your missing out on alot if your only using the red and white rca cables for your sound then your not actually getting true 5.1 audio your getting two channel stereo upconverted to five channels. If you really want to use your system to its fullest potential your going to have to use one of the digital outputs from your devices. But like I said its your stuff and as long as your happy thats all that matters.

19. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    Thanks for the advice, didn't know you could get better sound with optical output. I think I might buy a optical toslink cable tomorrow.

20. millerman3732

News Credits:
    The difference is defiantly noticeable, the way you have it now your only getting 2 discrete channels spread out across the five channels and the sub, with a digital output your going to get 5 discrete channels plus the sub channel. I'm not saying the difference is going to be night and day but it will make a difference and if your going to spend that kind of money on a system you might as well get the most out of it. And like others and I have said in earlier posts you won't be able to say for instance go from your PS3 to your TV to your control box, to get the best audio you will need to send the video to the TV using HDMI or component video and the audio out with a toslink cable to the control box and then you should be getting the best from both audio and video.