Confusion! Transformers movie toys on-shelf date

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Kickback, May 11, 2007.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    So earlier we reported from reliable sources that the June 2nd release date for the movie toys was no longer existant, that retailers were able to put the toys out whenever they felt like it.

Now we're getting word from other reliable sources that the June 2nd release date is something Hasbro is still pushing for quite heavily.

So what does that mean?

It means there's some confusion from the top of the food chain down to the bottom of the food chain. As collectors, look for the movie toys leading up to June 2nd, but don't expect to find anything until June 2nd. Anything found before hand, consider yourselves lucky.

It is important to note that all movie merchandise strictly says on the shipping boxes "HOLD UNTIL JUNE 2ND 2007", though some retail stores (Fred Meijers) have chosen to ignore that release date. Non action-figure merchandise, such as bed-sheets and plush figures, may not fall under the same guidelines.

Remember, the Spider-Man 3 promotional material is reversable and has Transformers promotional material on the backside. June 1st/June 2nd is the likely date that WalMart stores, which feature this merchandise, will re-set their floors. Depending on the store and the Spider-Man 3 product on-hand may also dictate the exact date your local store switches the set-up.

Target's unique endcap feature will not be up until June 2nd.

Conclusion? Check your local stores leading up to June 2nd and hope to get lucky.

2. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    that's Fred Meyer ;)  Meijers is a different store...

VicegripX once talked to a stocker at a store and found out that FM usually breaks it's cases at a distribution center and sends out stuff in bins to the individual stores ~ could be part of what caused them to be put out early.

...or just careless staff, since it hasn't been a widespread phenomenon.

3. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I don't mind waiting. I have no problem waiting until June 2nd, and NJ is so bad with new toys I dont even expect to see them until 2-3 weeks after that.

4. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I thought there was a statement on Hasbro's website saying release date was still June 2nd??

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Just curious; if companies ignore the instructions on the cases, does that get them in trouble?

6. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Ahh Oh well. I knew it sounded to good to be true. What exactly is the Target Endcap feature you speak of?? You mean the exclusive figs there getting?? And yeah that spider-man 3 stuff is choking my local stores. Save maybe my TRU that has a aisle dedicated to TFers but it seems like a quater of the store is takin up by Spider-man!! Heres to hoping ;)  Damn you spider-man!!!!*shakes fist in the air*(not really!!)

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I got lucky today right before I left for work... oh wait... that's not what we're talking about here is it?

8. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I think perhaps the penalties may have been removed for selling early (just a guess), but it's obvious that the bigwigs in Hasbro really, really want to keep that June 2nd release date firm.

9. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

So, Feb. 2008 for the UK then?

10. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Likely wanting to keep the dates set because of all the paper adverts and printed promos going "Full toy line on sale starting June 2nd!" and stuff like that.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Bloody well hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

12. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

IIRC they get a hefty fine for selling product early.

I remember 1 time I saw Future Shop setting up a display for the release of the Grease DVDs. I asked if they had 'em for sale I was told they had 'em just that they couldn't put 'em out till the official release date to avoid a serious fine

13. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

Yes. When the Classics Magnus/Skywarp 2-pack was released, my Target didn't have them out on time; a couple of days later, I noticed a woman with a Hasbro name badge talking to store management and the Magnus/Skywarp endcap went up by the end of the day.

So, yeah, any store that puts up Transformers Movie toys early is going to get scolded for it, but I have no idea if any actual penalties are enforced.

14. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    And that's Meijer. (No "s".) ;) 

15. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

I know stores are fined for selling things like DVDs, CDs, books & video games before the official release date, but I'm not sure the same rules/fines apply for this type of merchandise (toys).