Confused

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, May 14, 2014.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I knew I would be confused from the get-go with the two new ongoing series RiD and MTMTE, even once I read The Death Of Optimus Prime. Like I don't know how Ratbat became leader, how most of the characters didn't wanted Optimus anymore etc etc....Leading to the Decepticons and Autobots co-existing on Cybertron and talking about the Ore-2, Gorlam Prime, why Dirge is not welcomed.

2. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What, exactly, are you confused about?

3. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Everything, I am lost

4. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    How far into the two series are you? Almost all of those questions are covered in the books, but:

1) Ratbat isn't leader, he just likes feeling important and bossing people around (but as Starscream says, nobody listens to him).
    2) The neutral Cybertronians see Optimus as just another part of the war that forced them from their planet, regardless of whether he was a "good guy" or a "bad guy".
    3) Everyone's coexisting on Cybertron because the war ended after the Chaos Event there, and the Decepticons were forced to admit defeat through a combination of Megatron vanishing and them being weakened in aftermath of the Event. As seen in the Death of Optimus Prime, they were eventually let out of their makeshift prison on the condition they helped the Autobots as a security force.
    4) Gorlam Prime is one of the planet seeded by Shockwave with esoteric energon derivatives, which developed into super-powered ores.
    5) Dirge is mooching around on his own because he blames both the Autobots and Decepticons for his being left to be attacked by the ravenous Insecticon Swarm a few years ago.

5. VRDUBZAK

VRDUBZAK Titan

News Credits:
    wiki pages will have the synopsis of the previous series' or buy the trade paperbacks, or digital versions.

Confused only because you are missing the set up. If you don't want to start at the beginning, read "Revenge of the Decepticons", "Chaos Theory", and "Chaos". You can Skip "Chaos: Police Action" if you care not for plot set ups early in the ongoing series.(Although it seems to have future relevance in RID starting with 28 more so).

I read early RID and MTMTE issues and decided to follow the chronological reading orders, and start at the beginning Best but can be costly trying to download all the issues, or obtain the physical copies.

6. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I am at the end of issue 15 of RiD and just finished reading MTMTE volume 1 TPB

7. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah, you're not really missing anything, so you shouldn't get the that impulse to look for back issues

8. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

You mean even if I read the old issues it won't be helpful?

9. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    There are certain stories that would certainly accommodate the current ones like Last Stand of the Wreckers and Chaos Theory, but there really shouldn't be anything to be confused about at the stage you're in. All I can recommend is to just read it over again until it makes sense I suppose.

10. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Yeah. I dunno. None of these events were huge mysteries in the context of the books they appeared in. Everything was more or less clear-cut at the time. Maybe you do need to give them all another read or two?

11. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

What about Hearts Of Darkness?

12. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Don't.

13. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Why? it's that bad?

14. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Yup.

15. VRDUBZAK

VRDUBZAK Titan

News Credits:
    HOD was worse art-wise than the writing, and the writing was not that great (put that in perspective, WORST EVER TF IDW Story). In the scope of your desire to want to know WTF happened in previous issues, read the wiki pages on each comic, and get the synopsis of the story or buy the back issues digitally on Comixology.

Chronological order: HERE

16. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "cough" new avengers/transformers was worse "cough"

17. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Sounds like the issue is you haven't read the older stuff. While its not on the same level (mostly) as the modern era, I would highly reccomend reading the earlier IDW releases when you get a chance.

18. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

From where is it recommended to start? AHM? or DaCosta ongoing? and work my way through HoD and Chaos as well as LSoW

19. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I just got chills.

I think starting at AHM will be good. But I also think starting from the Death of Optimus Prime would be good ...

If you're still confused jump on the wiki and read the summaries for some background info.

20. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    If you just want to know what went down previously and the plot points that have carried over, just read the entries on TFWiki.
    If you want to go back and read everything, even the iffy stuff like New Avengers/Transformers and Heart of Darkness, you might as well start with the IDW Collections. They contain everything in sort-of-reading-order with the exception of Autocracy, Monstrosity, and the new Spotlight issues, which are collected in their own TPB's, and MTMTE/RID obviously.