Confessions of a movie nerd...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Jiggles, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

No wonder I'm broke. I decided to go through a little box of ticket stubs I keep on one of my book shelves. Keep in mind, I don't always remember to hold on to the stubs, and this is in addition to my dvd addiction where I buy two or three a week. Just since January the first I have seen in theaters (in no particular order):

The Break Up - 6/03, 16 Blocks - 3/11, Click - 6/27, Glory Road - 1/14, The Matador - 2/21, When a Stranger Calls - 2/21, Mission Impossible 3 - 5/06, Hostel - 1/19, New World - 2/23, X-Men 3 - 5/26, Failure to Launch - 3/28, The Sentinal - 4/22, The Bench Warmers - 4/15, Munich - 1/11, The Ringer - 1/03, X-Men 3 - 5/27, Lucky Number Slevin - 4/08, Nacho Libre - 6/18, Firewall - 2/11, Munich - 1/14, King Kong - 1/01, The Hills Have Eyes - 3/21, 16 Blocks - 3/07, The Libertine - 4/04, Inside Man - 3/25, Annapolis - 2/18, Benchwarmers - 4/11, Poseidon - 5/13, V for Vendetta - 3/16, Capote - 1/24, Superman Returns - 7/01.

And that's probably only 65-75% of the movies I've seen so far.

And before I get slagged, some of the repeats were me seeing a film with one person, then another wanting me to go (16 Blocks, Benchwarmers), some I wanted to see twice ( X3, Munich) and some were free (Annapolis).

To further illustrate my needless waste of money on DVDs, in the last three weeks I have bought

The last 3 seasons of X-files
    Superman 1 & 2 (5.50 at WalMart)
    The 3rd & 4th season of Smallville
    Look, Up in the Sky
    Bloodsport: ECW's Most Violent
    Beavis and Butthead Vol. 2
    Unbreakable
    North by Northwest
    3 Days of the Condor

I'm a loser... Anybody got me beat?

2. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

I'm a movie geek too. My DVD addiction is lessening somewhat with my limited budget (that TFs and now comics are cutting into), but is holding steady at about 364 titles. I've got them all in a database, but actually now that I think about it I have to add a few more to that list from recent purchases at DeepDiscountDVD with their 20% off sale. I still have a few boxes full of DVDs that I haven't actually watched through from the sale last year.

As for movies I've seen, I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I've rated 1668 titles over at Netflix, which includes rentals and stuff I've seen in theater and TV. I'm sure that I've seen way more because they don't have a lot of import stuff that I've also seen.

I'm really picky with movies in theater these days, mostly because of the ticket prices. I've been lucky enough to get some free passes through my credit card, but I usually say that I'll only hit a theater if the movie is a special effects and sounds type of movie. Or if an audience really, really enhances the experience (ala Starship Troopers with a bunch of college-agers).

So I am admitting to my weakness in movies, but I'm trying to cut back as evidenced by my downgrading my Netflix subscription to the lowest fee and keeping DVD purchases to the big DDDVD sales. Although I still sometimes fall for DVD exclusive bonus discs and stuff, but only for movies that I already would have bought anyway.

3. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I don't go to the theatres as much as you, but I haven't been devoting a lot of my spending money towards DVD's in the last year (gave up Cybertron for the most part for it).

My list of DVD's since this year alone:

American Psycho, Shaun of the Dead, Evil Dead 1 and 2, Chronicles of Narnia, Die Hard 2 and 3, Doom, Escape from LA, Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children, Hearts in Atlantis, Hulk, Underworld Evolution, Jurassic Park Trilogy, Venture Bros Season 1, Justice League Seasons 1 and 2, Superman Animated, Volumes 1, 2 and 3, Batman Beyond Season 1, South Park Season 7, ECW Bloodsport (great DVD), Ghost in the Shell:SAC2nd GIG Volumes 3, 4 and 5, Superman:Brainiac Attacks and Beast Machines Complete Series.

My movie going experiences this year have been few and far between. I think the only films I've seen this year in the theatre so far are Underworld Evolution, X-men 3 and Superman Returns, and the only others I think I'll see are Pirates 2 and Clerks 2.

Actually... I get dragged to The Hills Have Eyes by a friend of mine... but goddammit that movie sucked and there's no chance I would have ever seen it of my own decision. I even hate the fact that I've admitted to watching that steaming pile.

4. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I used to be like that. At least 2 or 3 movies a weekend at the theatre. Used to buy quite a few DVDs too. Can't do it anymore, can't afford it. Wife isn't willing to sit through 2 or 3 movies in a row. Used to go with my friend and pay for one movie, then sit through 2 or even 3 more. Now I can't do that, and 1 ticket for 4 movies costs a lot less than the 8 tickets I'd have to buy now would. That and they keep raising prices. Thankfully it's only $4 before noon on Wed., Sat., and Sun.

I can't remember the last movie I saw more than once. I used to see the ones I liked a lot, at least 3 or 4 times, and a few like the Matrix (11) and ID4 (18) a lot more than that. Of course the last couple years have sucked as far as movies go for the most part.

As for DVDs, I haven't bought many for about 8 or 9 months now. There hasn't been much worth buying. And now I've decided not to buy anymore DVDs anyway, from now on it will either be HD-DVD or blu-ray. Might get Voltron though, don't think HD will make much difference there.

5. SpeedBreaker

SpeedBreaker DESTRON NEW LEADER

Last time I went to the movies it was to see Return of the King. :D 

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I was a bit of a monster with DVDs up until 6 months or so ago, but i've got almost everything that I want now. The fact that 99% of new films and TV shows from the last 5 or 6 years havent intrested me makes it all allot cheaper.

DVD being finished as the top quality format has thinned my purchases as well, i'm not going to buy stuff that can benefit from HD on DVD when i'll be buying it again on the format war winner within 2 years.

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm a bit of a DVD guy with box sets. I've recently gotten:

Superman TAS volume 3
    Justice League Vol 2

A-Team Season 3&4
    Knight Rider Seasons 3&4

A-Team and KR were buy 1 get 1 free at best buy.

8. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I hear your plight but movies are so much fun.

I try to get to the theatres once a week, more if there are good movies out.(not the case for the last two years)

My DVD collection is also a might big. I am nearing the 500 mark and a couple of dozen are box sets...im an animated superhero series whore.

I wouldn't call you a nerd. Some guys like cars others tranformers and other movies. The way I always look at it..either the money goes to something that I enjoy doing and mellows me out of therapy lol.

Thrive in your love, I know I do.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

9. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

Yeesh... I have only seen 3 movies this year.

Ice Age 2, X3, and Superman Returns. Nothing else really interests me.

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I used to be like this a lot. Around 1999/2000 (the last time I was single, not coincidentally I think), I went to see virtually every movie that came out. That includes a lot of independent and foreign films. I'd estimate that I went to 5 or 6 movies a week on average at the theater, and every week I'd buy at minimum 3 movies on DVD. At the time film as a medium for art just fascinated me. It still does, but my time is much more limited now. I've got a wife and kids and other hobbies, and there just isn't the time to devote to it anymore.

11. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Im a movie fanatic but Im not really inclinced to watch movies on a theather ...so far this year...I only saw X3

and a year ago I watched bat begins.

no wonder the movie industry is scared

on the dvd set recent
    -Ghost in shell SAC
    -Initial D second third and fourth stage
    -bleach vol 1 and 2
    -gundam seed final plus

yeah mostly anime as I dont have a tv -I cut it as Im moving to a new place in a few months also I been spending too much on worldcup stuff and food.