Concert Experiences

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AutobotSkids, May 3, 2012.

1. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Well, I've finally got a hold of my Kiss and Motley Crue tickets for their tour this summer, and not to brag, but...

:bay  They are fucking incredible. :bay 

So, I'd like to discuss with other concert goers some of their crazy experiences at concerts. So far, the only other one I've been to was Journey's Eclipse tour last year. They were pretty incredible, as was Foreigner, Night Ranger wasn't too shabby.

It was a Journey concert though, nothing too wild happened except getting stuck next to some potty mouthed college kids and seeing Kelly Hansen dance in the crowd with his fans.

What about you?

2. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

KISS and Motley Crue? I'm jealous.

I haven't actually been to many concerts so I don't really have any crazy stories save for one new year's eve concert that was Toni Braxton and Kenny G. The people behind us were drunk and obviously only there for Toni. When Kenny G came out they yelled something like "Hey, who's this guy playing with his horn!?"

Others that I've seen: Cher, Elton John, Barry Manilow, Rod Stewart.

3. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I fucking hate you. Just kidding :D  Sometimes military gets free tickets to events when they come around, so I'm hoping...just hoping this time we get lucky again :)  I spent $160 a seat in 2010 for 8th row to see KISS and I'm not ready to do that again!

Seeing KISS and Crue at the same time will be a boyhood dream come true.

Seen KISS a bunch of times, even got to meet Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons during the convention tour of '95 right before the Reunion Tour. Seen AC/DC, Judas Priest, Ozzy a bunch of times, Rush, Aerosmith... but will never forget my first show seeing David Lee Roth with Cinderella. Went with my friend Mike and our moms went with us. My mother afterword swore to never see a concert with me again.

Saw Robert Plant with Cheap Trick back in '88. Awesome, awesome.

Saw Kix and Great White open for Ratt back in '89. Kix and Great White rocked the house, but Ratt came out and nobody could hear a damn word they were saying - their soundboard was all jacked up.

The Rolling Stones and Living Color in '89 - that was a blast.

Pink Floyd on the Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour in '87. Turned me into a Floyd fan for life.

Elton John and Billy Joel in Dolphin Stadium....want to say '95 or '96. Clear night with a full moon. When they played Candle in the Wind and Piano Man - the moonlight shining into the stadium filled with lighters - you just had to be there.

Lollapalooza '96 - the year Metallica headlined. Got to see the Ramones - they even played Spider-Man! Saw Soundgarden (until the mikes blew and Chris Cornell got all pissed off and walked off), Rage Against the Machine (my buddy Dave got picked up and surfed, then dumped on his head). Never did see Metallica - we were burned out, tired, and could have given a damn by the time they came on.

Pat Benatar opening for Styx. Queensryche. Joan Jett and the Blackhearts a couple of times. Van Hagar.

Used to see so many shows, but just haven't had time. Plus it's not like it used to be when it cost $10 to see a show :D 

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Metallica was the best concert I've been to. It was awesome. They put on a great show with out being all "We're fucking metal you fucking fuckers! Look at how fucking METAL we are!....FUCKERS!"

Velvet Revolver was fantastic too. I'm pretty sure I saw them when Scott Weiland was...sort of...sober. Seeing Duff, Slash and Matt Sorum live was incredible. (Side Note: I saw Steven Adler's 'Adler's Appetite' last year. It was fun and he's a hell of a nice guy, stroke-face and all)

Motley Crue puts on a great show too, I saw them last summer with Poison. I didn't think I was going to like Poison but it was much better than I expected.

Later on this month I'll be seeing Tenacious D. Words can't describe how excited I am.

5. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Most enjoyable concert I've been to was TOOL back in '06, in Dallas. It currently stands as the loudest volume I've ever experienced, during the song "lateralus." It was an indoor venue, so that probably helped that. Also was notable for the fact that, as soon as the house lights went down, I was immediately overcome by a certain aroma that I had not experienced on such a scale before then. Needless to say, I had to make a Jack in the Box run afterwards, simply from second hand exposure.

Also made fun by MJK's apparent enjoyment of playing Dallas. A happy MJK = a great TOOL show.

6. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Damn, those sound incredible. I'm proud to say that my Step Father attended the Riverport Riot of 91', the one where Axl Rose jumped into the crowd after a fan with a camera and smashed his microphone. He had a friend who was part of the riot get hauled off by the police after the friend attempted to fight them.

7. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

Nice dude! I'll be at the KISS/Crüe show in DC on opening night. Third KISS show and first Crüe show. KISS is fricken amazing live, saw them on the Alive 35 and Hottest Show on Earth Tours.

It's going to be one hell of a show, I can promise you that!

8. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I used to hit the concert circuit pretty hard years ago.
    First ever was the Beach Boys in 81.
    After that it was Iron Maiden (X2), Rush (X2), Boston, Chicago, AC-DC, Frehley's Comet, Queensryche (X3), Rob Zombie, System of a Down, Pantera, Testament, Slayer, Tenatious D, Dead Milkmen, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson...
    That's all I can remember right now.

Best show ever was Nine Inch Nails. Serioulsy. Manson opened for them and kind of got the crowd worked up, especially when he pretended to pleasure himself over a security guard.
    I was against the stage for Manson and NIN. One of the people I went with ended up with a key from a keyboard Trent destroyed.
    Best memory of the show- the pit was pretty rough. Lots of wannabee's trying to mosh and getting brutalized for their effort.
    I was standing against the railing when this incredibly cute girl falls into me. She was about 5' tall and pure 'girl-next-door' appeal. I pulled her in front of me just as some douche-bag mosher almost slammed her. She realized what I did and stuck with me for awhile, making small-yell (the concert was loud). We really hit it off, and she ended up holding me close. After awhile, she was watching some surfers and said "I want to do that! Please, put me up!" I asked her if she was sure, she nodded yes, so I leaned close, gave her a light kiss, whispered "I'll honestly miss you", and picked her up and tossed her about 10-feet out onto the crowd. Last I ever saw of her was her surfing on the crowd, fading into the distance, and getting unabashedly groped the entire way.
    Good times, good times...

9. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I will say the loudest concert I've ever been to was White Zombie back in the 90's.Holy shit,my ears were still ringing a week later.Ahhh,to be young and foolish again.Good times............

10. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Being into mostly punk rock, I've never been to any big arena productions where people pull out their lighters and shit. Most of the shows I've been to have been in churches and bars. I guess the biggest one I've been to was at the Roseland Theater in Portland to see Lars Frederiksen & The Bastards and Dropkick Murphys. Got to see a skinhead fight. Well, with skinheads, that's not too rare.

11. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I went to Ozzfest in the UK back in either 2002 or 2003 and saw loads of great acts. System of a Down, Lostprophets, Cradle of Filth and of course the man himself, Ozzy Osbourne. What a kick ass day that was.

12. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh man, I saw Alice In Chains in '93, Soundgarden on the Superunknown Tour (they sucked), Stone Temple Pilots, The Eagles and White Zombie in '94, White Zombie again in '95, Pantera six times between '93 and '97, two Lollapaloozas, a couple of Ozzfests, Violent Femmes in 2000, Godsmack with Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson in 2005, Godsmack another couple of times... so many concerts.... so many illicit substances... so many stories.

13. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Went to The Ghost Inside with Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! and Sleeping with Sirens.

We had to wait in line for hours, and ended up missing Chunk. Oh well, they suck. But in line, my friends and I found ourselves behind a redhead lady and her friend. Things turned quickly, as she requested a one night stand. She also said she'd fuck my eyes. She'd fuck my eyes, because that means she'd get to sit on my face. It was a fun night, lots of sexual harassment. If you can sexually assault a guy. We saw her again at the Chelsea Grin concert, but she never took up on fucking my eyes. I also touched Jon Vigil's forearm that night. Be jelly.

I was recently selected to meet Escape and Attack Attack! backstage when they came through Salt Lake. I shook a hand, said hi and waved to Attack Attack!. It was brief, but not bad. Never got to meet Escape the Fate... Was dead set on calling Craig "Ronnie". Oh well, they suck too. I also met Xander of Secrets. Secrets were the only band there that gave a fuck, it seemed. I also took a whole crowd surfer to the head. Got a bloody nose and stuff. WOO!

I've seen:
    - Chelsea Grin
    - The Ghost Inside
    - The Word Alive
    - Attack Attack!
    -Escape the Fate
    - Secrets
    - For the Fallen Dreams
    - Attila
    - Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!
    - Sleeping with Sirens
    - The Crimson Armada
    - U2
    - SGK
    - Some other local deathcore band that didn't totally suck.

Going to Warped Tour for Chelsea Grin, The Ghost Inside, For Today, Rise Against, Miss May I, Taking Back Sunday, etc. Also hoping to hit Scream It Like You Mean It tour... Attack Attack!, We Came as Romans, Oceano...

14. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Been to a bunch mostly in the 90s. Old enough to have caught pearl jam n foo fighter on their 1st tour.

Thing i note most is that in a concert the music matters less than the performance. Some bands are up n down (smashing pumpkin and metallica was meh: MCAIS is one of my fave album n metallica was promoting the black album i.e. 2/3rd setlist was actual thrash metal). Solo guys like phil collins n bryan adams are really great live. Bjork in a club was amazing.

Ive seen guys like slash n coverdale late in their careers but theres something to be said abt seeing bands in their prime.

15. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I tried with KISS, but my mom said there was no way in hell she was taking a 7-year old to a KISS concert!! :D 

16. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Uhhh. Would it count that the only stadium event I've been to, is Monster Jam a couple of times? :p 

17. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

First concert was Dokken back in '86 on the campus of NC State. George Lynch could friggen shred the guitar like no other...

Saw Metallica before they grew vagina's.

Saw Pink Floyd in 87 and 94. Both were amazing shows-both outdoor venues.

I've seen Kiss 3 or 4 times. They put on a good show each time for sure.

Have seen YES and Van Halen and recently Heart - who still sounds pretty amazing live and Def Leppard who also was pretty damn good as well.

About the only act I'd like to catch live that I haven't as of yet is AC/DC.

18. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

Man, that Whitesnake lineup from a few years ago when they had Reb Beach, Doug Aldrich, Tommy Aldridge and David Coverdale was one smoking band. Didn't get to catch them live, but do have the live DVD from that tour and that group was friggen tight!

19. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I have been to so many concerts I have literally lost track of them all. :lol 

I think the best one was being in the photo pit for the first time during a rock show in St. Louis last year. Bands playing were, Crossfade, RED, POD, Puddle of Mudd, Papa Roach and Buck Cherry. During that show, Wes Scantlin bent down and remained still long enough for me to get an amazing portrait shot of him. Also had Sonny from POD use me as a step stool. :lol 

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  20. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

Got to go backstage and meet Korn and hang out back in 2001 in Philly. I FINALLY saw Rammstein live this past Saturday. I waited 14 years to see them, i always missed getting tickets or something would come up. One of the coolest shows i've been too.

I've been to a bunch more, but those two stood out in my head the most.

*Edit

Now that i'd have to think about it i'd add in seeing Tool a few years back. Waited in the rain all night for tickets, went to see them, then went to COSM, Alex Gray(Artist for their album covers) and they showed up. Got my ticket signed by them. Was also under the "influence" so it was a pretty surreal experience.:D