Concerns about Wii

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by funkatron101, May 12, 2006.

1. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I've recently read on IGN that there are issues with Red Steel concerning the sword play acting less like a free flowing sword fight, and more like preset actions based on the direction you move the remote.

This has me worried.

The whole appeal of the Nintendo Wii is that you control the action. Creating a motion to inact a preset move is disappointing. Might as well just push a direction and button.

It seems like this isn't so much an issue with the FPS aspects as it is with using weapons and strikes using hit detection.

I am hoping that this is a developer issue and not a hardware issue. Otherwise boxing, tennis, baseball, and sword games are going to be lame.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm thinking it's a software issue, but who knows. Maybe they just wanted to get the game finished in a hurry, and didn't have time to code swordplay that was truly "free".

I wouldn't worry about it until more games start showing up.

3. wolfnfox

wolfnfox Well-Known Member

Well the development kits they are working on are not the final version, once they get those then we should see improvements in the overall game.

4. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Actually, I was thinking of this yesterday, and unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if this is how it worked out for the first few games. I'm sure that, by the second or third year of the Wii being out, though, we'll see a worthy implementation.

5. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Well as we've seen from Duck Hunt and even Mario, that isn't the case with a lot of the games.

6. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    So, in a sword game, where you control (on screen) one hand with the nunchuck and the other hand with the Wii-mote, would it be possible to hack off your own hand? :p 

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The Baseball game in Nintendo sports allows free control of the bat. If there's a problem with the sword in Red Steel, it's Ubi's problem, not Nintendo's. It sounds to me like that's just how they've chosen to implement the control so far. Maybe they'll fix it, maybe they won't. It still sounds like a good game with less than perfect controls.

Metroid Prime 3 will be my first game anyway ;) 

8. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

It is my (possibly wrong) impression that this is for special moves, so "standard' moves may still let you use the controller in the proper way.

9. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Well, think of it this way: if you are playing a game, and some dude comes up to attack you, and you got no skillz with blade combat, there's no way you would survive, nor would you be able to kill anyone. However, the way it is now, even a complete n00b who is swinging randomly and wildly, his motions are interpreted into something useful to the game. Something you can use to kill teh bad guys.

10. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

It is important to remember that this controller is an innovation, and that means it will bring out lots of new ideas from game developers. However, the truth is 90% of new ideas suck. Most of those will never make it past the drawing board, and even fewer will hit market, but I would expect there to be a disproportionate number of crappy games early in the systems life, as developers learn what will and will not work.

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Its probably software. I've got one of those TV top lightsaber games, where the device shoots out infra red beams that pick up the reflective blade of the Lightsaber.

While the Combat isn't going to be accurate by any means, it FEELS right, with all the blocking, swiping and deflecting of blaster shots. Which just involves static positions and broad sweeps. Anything more accurate than that holds lots of potential.

I totally can't wait for a proper Wii Lightsaber game.

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I've seen some footage of people playing the Red Steel demo now, and it looks like the conrol is decent enough at the very least, and could probably be really good after some practice. If Ubisoft's controls are extra sensitive, then taking some time to get used to it is important. Lots of people had a hard time adjusting to games with really sensitive analog thumb stick controls too. With lines over four hours long, IGN's editors may have "played the hell out of" Red Steel collectively, but there's no way they got enough hands-on time individually to adjust, if that's the case.

13. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think for some games the preset motions are definitely needed. Games like Mario Galaxy for example, incorporating the spin attack.

The Tennis game is another example that showed my concerns. During the demo , they were waving the remote back and forth, waving to the audience, and the on screen character was tweeking out. Obviously it is limited, as it should be for that game, but it still made me wonder.

I am guessing, initially, First party games are going to have a better grasp of how to implement these capabilities, with 3rd party having to catch up.

14. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I think I posted that IGN article in another Wii thread. Anyway, I do hope they get all the issues worked out. But now Im thinking its just Ubisoft's problem. However my main concern is the mention of having to aim at the sensor bar and not the TV. But Im feeling now that this could be fixed with some proper calibration.

And how 3rd parties make use of the controller... there are going to be some big hits and misses. But I would also expect some higher sucuess rates when compared to the DS. More money is put into console development hence, greater risk. Im really hoping that developer take the time to think their idea through and make an experience that does not suck. Nintendo will lead the way in best use of the controller at the begining. But 3rd parties will catch on soon I hope.

15. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

It's UbiSoft. I have faith in their ability to do this, if it can be done.

16. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Very much agreed. I can see something like that not only being good, but being ridiculously popular.