Concerns About Arcee

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by AlanGarou, Nov 26, 2010.

1. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

Having just watched the two-episode preview of Transformers: Prime, I have developed some worries about the way Arcee has been portrayed so far, and apprehension about how future episodes might treat the character.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that the franchise has always had issues with portraying female characters. The G1 incarnation of Arcee as well as the female Autobots from the original series were never given much character development, generally being defined by their gender and little else. Admittedly this may have been an issue with the cartoon in general rather than any specific neglect of female characters. BW Blackarachnia was far less objectionable in many ways, and may well be the strongest female character we've ever had in the franchise.

However, the way Arcee was shown in these two episodes worried me greatly. Although she was shown as an extremely skilled fighter in the first episode, she was also objectified by the rather creepy way Jack was talking to her at first. The second episode proved even worse, with Arcee having an almost laughably stereotypical fainting spell in reaction to Cliffjumper's death and mutation, as well as further objectification-as-comedy in the scene with Jack and his mother.

However, I may well be overreacting and jumping at shadows here. What are your thoughts about the way Arcee was shown in the premiere, and on the franchise's portrayal of females in general?

EDIT: I was pretty much entirely wrong. See my post on Page 7 for details.

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

The fainting spell was from the Dark Energon that spilled on her.

And how was Jack being creepy? I think you're reaching WAY too far for something to complain about here.

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    her nearly fainting was caused by the Dark Energon-Ratchet said it had an effect on her, and since she wasnt a zombie, im guessing he meant th fainting spell

4. AlanGarou

Wait, that was from the Dark Energon? I honestly didn't realize that. Might watch through the episode again to look at that bit.

As for Jack? The way he was talking about "owning" her, and the way he was stroking her motorcycle mode, and the extreme closeness during the after-school scene all seemed a bit PG-13 to me. But you're right that I might just be over-examining this stuff.

5. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I think you're letting your own insecurities manifest. :lol 

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Now was that before or after he knew she was a robot?

Maybe he thought she really was just a cool motorcycle.

7. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    He didn't even know she was a transformer at that moment. He was talking to her like someone would to a car he or she could only dream of having.

8. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Yeah, you're putting WAY too much into that. He thought she was a regular motorcycle when he was talking about owning her and stroking her.

9. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Actually he did talk about owning her and did indeed stroke her just before he got on her. But that was exactly what a teenage boy would do with the vehicle of his dreams. He wouldn't do that after he found out she was a bot.

I actually find this Arcee to be a fantastic female character. She isn't the ice queen dog nor the sex object. She is being portrayed as person who just lost a close friend and is grieving. She's the best character on the show so far, in my opinion, and her "gender" (she is a robot remember) hasn't been a factor of anything.

10. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I swear I want to do a comic with that motorcycle meeting scene where he strokes Arcee.

You will need something more powerful than brainbleach to get the image out of your head. Oh yesssssss.

11. Brutimus Prime

Brutimus Prime Icepick Enthusiast

I'd like to see them replicate that "I'd like to own ya, babay!" scene with a bunch of big, burly 'cons instead of Jack, and Bumblebee in place of Arcee.

Bumblebee dosn't speak in his own voice because he's too badly traumatized.

Character depth~

12. GreenChick

GreenChick Well-Known Member

I have to admit I raised my eyebrows at Jack's dialogue. It's so obvious that I can't believe it was anything but intentional but I believe it was more a bit of not so subtle attempt at some adult humor, much like Sam wanting to give Mikaela a "ride" in the first movie. This show is geared towards an adult audience so we're going to see them sneaking crap in there, much like Beast Wars.

Silverbolt: Scouting the enemy.

Rattrap: Yeah, scouting the enemy... Find any new positions?

*Silverbolt gives Rattrap a worse pounding than Dinobot ever did.*

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Jack is a teen age male they tend to talk like that to Vehicles the consider awesome :lol  as for the ownership thing , that was a cover to explain the motorcycle to his mom.

Arcee is fine and a real aft kicker.

14. Rexidus

News Credits:
    I've known plenty of guys who talked to inanimate objects just like Jack did to Arcee.

15. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Oie......again, it was NOT adult humor. It was a teenager fawning over the ride of his dreams. Simple as that.

16. AlanGarou

From an in-show point of view? Yes.
    From the writers' point of view? I doubt it.

17. Lord Ramulus

Lord Ramulus Well-Known Member

Alan, you are reading waaaaay too much into the interactions between Jack and Arcee. She's pretty bad ass...the only concern would be if she started making crazy yodeling noises and throwing a boomerang ring-thingy and had a female virgin companion with a page boy haircut...but seriously, he kicked ass.

18. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Oh man! Why couldn't Arcee have some sort of luggage rack? We could then totally say she has a great rack and not be blatantly obvious we're talking about her metal "boobs".

19. Lord Ramulus

Lord Ramulus Well-Known Member

really....?:crazy: 

20. Rexidus

News Credits:
    I'm joking. All this taking sexism too far made this really funny to me.