Concerns about a Storage Shed, Containers, Input needed!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Napjr, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like many of us, i got a big collection and space is becoming an issue right now since im a boxed collector mainly (i open most of my stuff, but i love to take care of the packages)

[​IMG]

As you can see on these pics, im in the process of storing pretty much all my stuff, im building a storage shed on the roof and getting worried for a couple of things

First of all, most of the boxes are inside these plastic containers (got 25 of these clear ones, and other 10-15 solid black boxes, as well the cardboard ones

[​IMG]

Ive heard plastic needs to "breathe", do you think i should drill some holes on every container? But what about dust? What about insects? even though i dont have any infestation right now, no one really knows if a traveling cockroach or moths could enter into the boxes...

Now for my main problem, The Heat!

Lets see, the storage shed, size is 2 x 4 x 2 meters (Like 6´3" x 13´4" x 6´3" feet), previous building was made with bricks (2 sides) and plasterboard for the rest. The roof was made with aluminium roofing sheets reinforced with cement (if i remember correctly) and lastly, roof bricks. The door is all metal painted black.

[​IMG]

Inside the room, the ceiling was stuffed with insulation foam and covered with plasterboard. The walls didnt got any kind of insulation however

[​IMG]

Before the raining season started last week, the temperature readings i got were as much as 45°C (113°F). Unacceptable for my stuff! So i decided to make 6 inches holes (3 so far), to get some ventilation. Later im gonna put automatic air extractors there with insect screen protectors or something and 3 extra holes on the opossite wall

Ive got plans to paint the door in white or something as well try to find white vynil for the roof, so i can deflect all the extra heath

Right now, temperature readings are like 28°C (82°F), only with the holes and the raining

Any extra recomendations you could give me? I would also like some thoughs from people on extra dry locations

Attached Files:

2. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I don't advise drilling holes in your storage bins. You want to keep out as much moisture as possible. I'd also pack a shitload of silica gel into those totes to attempt to control the humidity. You'll probably have to change them out after every rainy season too.

3. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree. Being in a dry environment is probably a good thing. If you want things to "breathe" I would advise physically opening the containers to check your stuff every so often, not sure exactly how often though.

I hear you....space is an issue. I would be concerned about storing my stuff in ANY kind of outdoor shed type thing unless it was air conditioned. I have a garage (live in Arizona), but refuse to store any toys in there as it gets way too hot. I have decided to use plastic storage bins as most people do, but I am keeping them indoors with the A/C and under a bed.

I know it is an expense and it will use energy, but if I were you, I would seriously consider some type of A/C unit in that room, maybe even an old used one.

4. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't keep my stuff in boxes, and currently my vast horde of TF's are in pastic storage bins in our basement where it's perpetually cool, and where light can't reach them. If you have a public storage palce, I'd suggest possibly looking into one of those places if you don't have a basement.

5. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Air conditioning is not an option, the shed is small enough to barely fit all my stuff and just an empty spot to enter... Plus the electrical bill is already outrageous currently

I forgot about the light! i will need to put some kind of screen or curtain to protect them from the light... altough the sun doesnt points to any of the vent holes

6. stevenmh

stevenmh Well-Known Member

Concur. Remember it's not just whether the heat or cold will hurt it, but the transition between the two. Thermal cycling can crack concrete. Plastic isn't nearly as brittle, but it still can't be good for it.

Look at it this way, $500 for a thru-the-wall air heat pump isn't cheap, but what is it compared to the value of your collection?

I feel your pain with space. I've been collecting SW since 1995 and TF's since 2000 and was pretty completist until a couple years ago. I kept the cards/boxes for all of it, and I think the packaging was taking up more room than the items themselves on display. I just sold a huge chunk of my collection and decided to draw lines on what I collect. Making it focused has made it more enjoyable, rather than being overwhelmed by the massive amount of plastic in my basement. Next phase is to get rid of the packaging for what I'm keeping, and only keep it for high-end items, which is something you may want to consider. Sure, if I want to sell something later, mint on opened card/box will probably get more than mint loose. But I learned to think of it as a lifestyle choice. I'd save a lot of money if I lived in an unconditioned shack with a dirt floor and didn't own any cars. But I make house and car payments in exchange for a lifestyle. In the same way, I'm willing to "spend" money getting rid of packaging, in the sense that the items may now be worth less, in exchange for recovering a ton of space and not feeling like I'm in an episode of Extreme Hoarding.

7. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, the climate differences arent that extreme here in Guadalajara, so i guess i shouldnt have problem with that :) 

8. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist Veteran

News Credits:
    ...This is true. What's it transistion from? Burning in hell hot, to "There might be some precipitation in your mouth while you're in hell." hot?

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only put my figs in bins when i have to move. For as small a space as that shed, you should invest in something for climate control- for example, i once put insulating styrofoam around a storage shed & it dropped the temps a bit and the shed didn't keep the heat in. That's an option

10. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    Don't put in holes. One of the good things about the plastic tubs is that they keep mold spores and bugs out.

This is going to sound disgusting, but recently I found a box that a cockroach had entered. It must have bee poisoned by bug spray because it was dead. The bacteria from inside the roach spread out in a circle and grew disintegrating everything it touched. It was amazing how much green ooze came from one tiny bug. If that happened inside your misb collection you could loose a lot.