Concerning the future of Transformers franchise

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Foursea, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Foursea

Foursea Member

The reason why I start this thread is I saw quite a few Michael Bay appreciation post. Most of the comments are appreciation that he brings Transformers franchise to a new level, bright future. Bright future. This is what I am concerning about. Is he really doing this? Based on the three Transformers movies he made, I don't see he gets Transformers, or really care about them. I don't have the fortune to read the real script, but by watching his way of storytelling and character development. Transformers in his movie is hollow, lifeless, just war machines. you can tell from how he uses Optimus Prime in TF3 ending scene. Poor Transformers, it is just an excuse for him to produce his favorite action/explosion/bombing scenes. Afterall, Transformers is just stepping stone for his career.

After 3 movies, Transformers's popularity is indeed raised. However, years later, I don't think people would care about it. To them, characters in Transformers actually doesn't have character. Comparing with production from Marvel Studio... sigh.. Transformers is much more shallow...

I do feel sad about this.

2. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

While the live action series is certainly not the pinnacle of TF storytelling or media, it has introduced the franchise to a new audience... an audience I fear will fade away soon enough with no movies for a while. Sadly, Transformers Prime is not open to a wide audience, and I fear for the future of the brand as well. I doubt it will ever return to the mediocrity of the Unicron Trilogy, but without the money printing movies, we may lose our precious Classics toys. I think with TF: P, Hasbro has a winning TV series, they just have to get it the hell off the Hub.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Batman survived Schumacher, TF will survive Bay

4. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

I don't think there are going to be many problems any time soon. Just look at G.I. Joe. Fiction-wise, that franchise has been in the gutter for years, but yet they've still managed to keep the toys around at basically all times, and as much as I like G.I. Joe toys, they're nowhere near as gripping as Transformers are to kids (and adults, for that matter). So, sure, they might get downsized a bit in a few years, but I don't expect to see them leaving shelves entirely for a very, very long time. And as for fiction, I expect Prime to last a good while, and I'm sure we'll see another live-action movie sooner or later.

5. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Transformers will go on, I doubt it will get to the level like it had beween G1 and Beast Wars in the life support years.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The Bay movies brought the attention and resources to the brand that will allow it succeed at least for the next couple of years no matter what happens. However, in recent memory, we've seen animated, prime, classics, etc. so I wouldn't worry about the future of the brand.

7. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    What I want to know is: do the people calling the shots on the movie franchise aspect of the brand understand that the characters this franchise has been developing for almost 30 years can be so much more than weapons platforms to facilitate making things explode? Up until the movie era, all the stories distributed through the various media have centered on the actions and interactions of the robots with humans often relegated to very minor roles. If Hasbro could make a movie where the robot characters were as well developed as say the characters in the original SW trilogy, I mean where the average joe movie goer with no real background in TFs other than the movies cares about who they are and what happens to them, I think Hasbro would sell more toys than they knew how to make AND give the hardcore fans the robot-centric movie I think they deserve.

This quote sums up my problem with the stories of the movie era so far:

Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

I worry though because Hasbro has made so much bank it might never feel it can make a movie without a hot chick star to shake her ass at the camera and parade about at openings, all the stupid human comedy, drama in the media about actors blah blah blah and just make a damn robot movie about robots with robots talking and doing roboty things with and to each other. What can I say I'm a dreamer.

I'm so thankful for Transformers: Prime.

8. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who thinks that the live Transformers movies don't do the Transformers brand justice. But regardless, the Transformers will go on. I don't think we'll see a day where the Transformers don't exist in one form or another. The brand will have its highs and lows but will always be around. There will always be The Transformers.

9. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Honestly, this is all senseless whining in my opinion, G1 made as much as sense as a duck with sunglasses and had a storyline ten times worse than all Michael Bay movies combined, but there's no one saying G1 spawned a dark future to the franchise.

My point is: Regardless of your opinion on them, the movies are not that horrible piece of storytelling that can bring doom to the whole Tf franchise [such thing doesn't exist, in fact], you're being paranoid [even Unicron Trilogy, arguably the worst piece of storytelling of our beloved franchise, wasn't that "doom-brining piece of bad storytelling", there ISN'T such thing].

So you should all relax and enjoy the show [or just relax].

10. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I quite like this bit, and reciprocate it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2011
  11. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Bay likes Transformers well enough. They're giant alien robots that transform, and after three movies they're still bringing in a billion dollars, so clearly there are few people out there who don't like them. I just think Bay, as a film director with an ego, wanted to put his own stamp on them rather than just enslave himself to the source material.

Actually, if DOTM makes as much as ROTF, I see no reason not to expect TF4 in theaters in 2013. Hasbro and Paramount are both going to want to keep this money train rolling.

12. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Considering that it took 8 years for a Batman reboot and Bay didn't ruin it that much, a reboot will probably be here before 2015.

13. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    I don't see how anyone can say Bay's TF films hurt Transformers. They brought new fans and added attention. If anything, they brought Transformers back to life

14. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    I think the only example we can follow would be Star Wars. It bred a fanbase in the 70's and 80's, then shook the tree again a few decades later. I wonder how their fanbase grew and receeded after time with the new offerings of Ep 1-3.

But they pumped out Clone Wars stuff to keep fresh stuff coming out. As long as Tfs does the same, we'll keep a lot of fans on board.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Hard to bring something back to life when it wasn't dead or dying to begin with.

Bay took what Transformers were, and he and Spielberg made it what THEY liked.

These films are only the beginning. Don't think it's all over- there is better to come.

16. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

Im pretty sure Michael Bay on the first movies dvd extras, said something like "I really dont care to know all the stuff the fan geeks know" or some offensive shit like that. Well being a dork I took offense at the time. Im just restating it here to throw it out there. I also felt that he made the opening scene of his movie to us fans some dudes ass in our face on purpose to kinda be snooty lol.
    BUT-- The Bay movies brought me back into TF as far as collecting and whatnot, although I never actually collected from that line. Also, I loved the atmosphere they provide. It doesnt have to be perfect. The whole vibe of the first movie was so cool, almost romantic and when Bee first transformed I felt as if....Idunno, that was a special moment.
    The egyptian scenery of the second one I love the most from that one, and the humor from Simmons and Leo. And Megan Fox , I loved her character so much even though I dont care for her work otherwise.
    Im still digesting 3, having only seen it once. Ill be going again soon.
    I cant say enough how badly I am actually hoping these movies proceed, perhaps in a way to satisfy us all lets see the robots get off earth for a while?
    In closing, all in all, the Baymovies kicked ass and all this talk of it being over is leaving me feeling bittersweet. I think thats awesome.
    Oh also, the bots did have emotion, they just were off screen so much that it didnt show as well as it could have. They pretty much ignored what could have been a bomb ass Ratchet though. "Thats not what Optimus woud have wanted" from part 2 shows some of his character though. I wished he was white and red though, please dont hurt me :) 
    Ok my hands hurt lol

17. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

The movies may not have been the best representation of Transformers, but the money and recognition they brought has put the franchise in a good place. Some of the Hasbro guys have already admitted that the success of the films allowed them to do better work on Prime because they had more money and a bigger talent pool to work with. Even if the general public only knows TFs as a backdrop for explosions, the fans will still benefit in the long run.

18. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

Bayformers is nothing a reboot wouldn't solve.....'nuff said.

19. nightdiamond

nightdiamond Well-Known Member

If you really really were into the g1 cartoon or comics, chances are you might not "get" the movie versions.

I admit, the visuals are hard to follow and hyper, and the robot characters were really generic. There was just no way to become invested in these characters in such a short time.

I actually liked Sam Witwicky's parents-thought they were funny.

But lots of credit goes to Bay for giving the franchise a big jolt. All the other versions benefit because of it.

If the movie bombed, the franchise might have taken a hit also.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Things can only get better from here.