Concept Ownership?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by hXcpunk23, May 29, 2009.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    . . . . who owns the concept(s), it's a good understood general rule that you toss some credit to the originator or even others who may have inspired you. You don't necessarily need to name names, just do like I've done in the past and mention those that inspired you (in a general format like this: "I'd like to thank everyone who has done this custom and inspired me to do my own" or something similar--you can also mention if it is a certain person who inspired you, such as Ptitvite, F_R, me, Joe Blow, Jane Doe, etc). It's just common courtesy--I don't think the kitbashing police will come after you if you don't, but it's just nice to do (same with writing and plagiarism--you cite a source when you use something in your work).

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2009
  2. MALFUNCTION

MALFUNCTION Well-Known Member

MAN THANKS FOR ALL THIS COO INFO, GOOD TO KNOW! im just asking cause i was told "if your the first to build combiner using a particular concept you own it" but how do you own it?

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2009
  3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    nobody "owns" anything (except hasbro) but when you build something that's very similar to an existing custom, it's better to site the inspiration. To deny Ptitvite inspired Devastator (for example) and make claims that "I never heard of him or saw it" would be pretty disrespectful and ignorant. A lot of us are finding the unicron/primus parts to suit up well in size for a gestalt, and typically we will site (specifically in the custom's thread using those formulas or have cited the inspiration previously)

We run a tightly knit community here. If one guys hasn't seen an idea previously, most likely someone else has. It's important to retain integrity when putting your own ideas on someone else's existing. Otherwise, you'll burn bridges faster than you can cross them

:2c: 

4. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Technically, it's your concept, but I don't think there's a way to literally own it....especially considering that Hasbro/Takara/Tomy own the figures to begin with. I think they meant that it's your idea or concept and you'd get credit for it if others use it (much like Ptitvite's Devastator).

And about the info, no problem at all, man. Definitely do like F_R suggested and check out the rules and all that good jazz. Now let's get back on topic and see some more pics of these great customs.

5. MALFUNCTION

got it! i will keep that in mind, sorry for the ignorance im new and this just seemed reallly grey to me. THANKS AGAIN!

6. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Agreed. There are times you'll come up with a great idea and someone will point you to someone else's work where they already did just that. In this case, you wouldn't necessarily need to cite them as inspiration.......but it also couldn't hurt to mention that you did yours, then saw theirs and how similar the ideas were. A lot of us come up with some similar concepts and it's just cool to see we all think alike and share similar ideas. So citing another cool custom with a similar ideas as yours could help you both and inspire others to do them as well.

7. MALFUNCTION

THANKS AGAIN PUNK! no problem will do tonight!

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Agreed on all your earlier points. THOUGH... the actual legalities and ability to enforce issues of plagiarism in an online customizing community are dubious at best. I could (hypothetically of course) rip off all the greatest kitbashers in this forum in the most blatant ways possible (not that I even have the skill to attempt such a thing :)  ) and I think I could probably laugh in the face of the threat of litigation (it helps that I'm in Canada where we generally laugh at the litigious ways of our southerly neighbors ;)  ).

I think the threat of "illegality" is less of a realistic concern than the fact that someone would have to be a total douchebag and be completely alienated by the community, if they behaved in such a fashion. :) 

zmog

9. MALFUNCTION

THANKS ZMOG, man i wish i was canadian...lol

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-general-discussion/201932-radicons-guidelines-etiquette.html

The Radicons Staff would like to remind everyone that the above (Guidelines and Etiquette) are not suggestions, but supplement the established rules of the TFW2005.com forum. These were created to assist artists in accountability and integrity of their own work and that of others as well. All Radicons are expected to comply to the rules as well as the Guidelines/Etiquette. Again, these were created by the Radicons Staff to help each artist and this community of artists in the best ways possible. They are not meant to be for the usage of beating anyone down, rather to continue to build each other up :) 

Also, even though I'm personally commented on this very topic numerous times, I'll simply say that just because something is permissible doesn't make it right.

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  11. SMOG

I absolutely agree! The number of times I've seen people defend their jackassery with declarations of what their "rights" are... way too often. What you're allowed to do by law, and the "decent" thing to do are not always the same thing.

( likewise, illegality also doesn't necessarily make something "wrong" either, but that's another can of worms right there... ) :D 

** errr... did we just grow a whole new thread?? :) 

zmog

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    yep, you're not THAT crazy (yet:p ). It was de-railing the topic of the project thread this discussion was going on in, plus it's a popular enough topic to warrant it's own thread.

13. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    There are instances where artists have the same idea at the same time, in which case the first to post is often the one credited with the concept.

All in all, we Radicons are very generous with our idea sharing. I know guys like myself and Smog post our WIPs in the early stages with the intent to allow others to explore the ideas for themselves.

I'm sure there are situations where someone has an idea and posts it as his/her own innocently, not aware it has been done before. I think the artist in this case should be informed, and let the artist credit the other artist.:2c: 

14. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Exactly, big hank. Personally, I'm a huge fan of sharing ideas and helping others if they look to achieve something I've done or vice versa. I may not post as many WIP shots as I'd like (I get busy and completely forget when I'm in the zone), but I do my best to help out with any questions about customs or techniques if I can. For me, it's all about helping others, sharing ideas, and creating things that Hasbro/Takara/Tomy never thought of. I like creating or learning from others so I can make a nice collection of things we were never given (or things we know we can do better than them).

As for crediting the artist when two people come up with concepts around the same time frame, I think the second artist should at least acknowledge that the other had the same idea, yet posted it first (as you said, big hank). It sticks to the rules and it's common courtesy to credit those who either inspired your ideas or helped you along with yours.

15. SMOG

Good call. :)  I much prefer that approach, conserving the flow of discussion, to when Mods arbitrarily shut down a thriving conversation because it goes OT (while still being appropriate to TFs), or is in the wrong forum or whatever. :rolleyes2 

And of course that has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that we rarely actually get around to finishing anything we started ourselves, right? :) 

zmog