2D Artwork: Concept: Optimus Prime head

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Shizuka, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I have this idea for Optimus Prime but I've only doodled the head in my spare time. So I decided to flesh it out using paints etc. The idea was to make him a young-ish character yet have traits that showed how the war has ages him prematurely and this is shown for example under the eyes.

I used aspects of the mouth plate to give him features such as the top of the mouthplate for a nose and the bottom as a goatee which gives his a more youthful face. I tried to keep the head compact as it's believed that with people short hair give people a grown-up look. This means that there isn't any extra things trailing behind the neck.

As for the the antennas, I had an idea to convert these parts to give Optimus a "crown" appearance on the head which signifies his lead of the Autobots. The colours therefore follow suit with Royal Blue being used as the blue on his body.

I do plan on drawing the full body at some point but for now I just want to introduce the design.

Attached Files:

2. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Looks pretty cool. A very unique design indeed.

3. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

I like. new thought... Sage Prime. :lol 

4. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Overall, I like it. It could use some pupils in the eyes, but beyond that, good job. The crown was an interesting idea, though not one that I would have picked up on without the description. He definitely looks older and weary; the eyes and the vertical lines beneath them tell of an Optimus who has walked a long, hard road. The Energon blood at his mouth is a good indicator that he's still walking that road.

The only changes I would make would be to add some pupils and to make the side crown bits pointier, but that's it. Overall, this is a very unique, well-done design. Thanks for posting it.

5. Shizuka

News Credits:
    I swear I kept painting pupils then removed them to paint them on again to remove them. Pupils made him look more human but I was torn between with or without.

I'll take these ideas on board and thanks everyone. Stay tuned.

6. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

If you're not keen on pupils why not just have a lighter Iris? Like PRIME Megatron. He has an Iris in his eyes but no pupil.

7. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

That would work as well.

8. Shizuka

News Credits:
    That's what I did. I used the white pencil to create the pupils - noticeable but not too noticeable but it just looked off. I got a second opinion but he said it looked cooler without. So I went back and thought about every other series and which had solid eyes and which had pupils. Originally I wanted the same block eyes but I wanted them to be glass with an actual eye underneath and the glow would cause the whole eye to be blue. But you would still be able to see the eyes...

Hmm.

9. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

I really like your design. First, I didn't get the crown thing before I read it, but I immediately thought his face looked like the Autobot symbol so it still had meaning to me in its shape. Next, I love how the face mask actually gives him emothion. As Honorbound said, he looks sort of world-weary in his eyes and the 'bags' under them. You seem really good at making emotive faces which I've learned is a very difficult thing to do (especially having them look emotive and still robotic which you have done). Great job. :thumb 

10. Shizuka

News Credits:
    Haha, thank you :)