3D Artwork: Concept Megatron....an abandoned WIP...

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Star Cracker, May 3, 2009.

1. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure about posting this, but since it's been half a year, I figured, what the heck.

I long stopped on this after realizing the concept just wasn't working and that many of the challenges I was encountering were things just not anticipated in some of the sketches I had made, or just did NOT translate all that well into 3D.

At some point, I may go back and rebuild this guy from scratch, but for now, this was to be the great and all powerful Mighty Megatron, G1 Gun glorified!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That is a neat concept! :thumb  To bad you didn't finish it.

3. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Very cool! Hope you finish it.

4. DigitalDreamer

DigitalDreamer Well-Known Member

neat...you should finish it...it looks nice

5. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    To be honest ; imo, the face looks crap... but the rest is full of WIN !

Pls continue to make this work. Has some real nice potential.

Maybe make the head slightly smaller & a bit more narrow, in order to avoid looking a bit stubby.
    The face could be a bit more 'unified'....

6. Star Cracker

knoted, you are absolutely correct, sir. The problems I kept running into as far as the face is concerned, is that I was trying to go for a face made of mechanical parts that could interact and manage to give full human-like articulation.

I wanted to avoid flesh-metal, and only now do I understand just how complicated it is to create a realistic Transformer face that imagines a more detailed G1 aesthetic.

I HAVE learned a great deal from this, but will most likely pursue this at a later time.

When my conceptual skills improve, I'll most certainly retackle this guy, but for right now, I'm sticking to alternate modes and other less complicated things.

7. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

I've had the same thing happen to me. I got a little too ambitious on projects and ended up working myself into a corner, only to abandon it and start again at a later date.

You had some good stuff going with the model though, so there is plenty of hope for the future :) 

8. Star Cracker

Lol, I have the alternate modes for Ironhide, Windcharger, Jazz, Wheeljack, Bluestreak, Optimus Prime, Sideswipe/Sunstreaker, and the seekers all in various stages of progress.

Having gone through looking at each one, a good portion of them could really benefit from polygon reduction. As I was taught "quads, Quads, QUADS!" (really, this is more applicable for organic models. hard surface models will have tris and ngons barring the use of NURBS). I could never get my models done correctly until I basically threw that s*** out the window. Now I can build a pretty low res base and have the smoothed version looking pretty decent

9. Star Cracker

Actually, this has nothing to do with Megatron at all, BUT it does have to do with picking up some projects that I had started over a year ago, and finishing their modeling.

The first is the continuing work on my Freightliner Tractor Trailer, which I spent considerable time optimizing and getting rid of un-needed polygons, and then finishing the interior (still have a few things to model, glove compartment drawer being one of them, but it's 95% done), and then get the suspension finished, adjust the tires, and finish the trailer.

Jazz's car mode needs to interior re-work, plus the suspension needs finishing, though I'm debating about that. It might be just better to be done with it since I doubt I'm going to have any real shots of the underside. Either way, he's second closest to being completed.

Bluestreak needs optimization and more modeling to be done, Sideswipe needs his back half modeled, an interior, and loads of optimization.

Ironhide needs his interior, suspension, and some other things done. Windcharger is in the same boat as is Wheeljack.

From Bluestreak, I'll get Prowl, from Ironhide, Ratchet, and Sideswipe, a good portion of Sunstreaker.

I may even derive Ultra Magnus from Prime, though I'll have to model the car carrier trailer.

Buzzsaw needs considerable rework in terms of design and details. I was reasonably happy with him, but am kind of meh now. More a case of going in half-cocked without having a finalized sketch and just going by various concept sketches and bashing them together.

Attached Files:

10. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, all those models were shaping up really good. I'd love to see them done. :) 

11. Star Cracker

Yay! Modeling on Prime's alternate mode is almost done! A few more things and I can see about texturing.

And just for fun, I took two renders with him alongside Jazz (mainly because Jazz is the only other Autobot car that's near done. This model might actually be outdated as I thought I had fixed some things a while ago).

Attached Files:

12. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Wow, those renders look amazing!

13. Star Cracker

finally figured out how to get rid of that washed out desaturated look in Mental Ray's Physical Sun and Sky HDR system, so here's two test shots with some basic shaders. Barring the red carpaint shader and lambert being used for rubber, everything else are composed of blinns.

Oh Happy Day!

Attached Files: