Con Census

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Nachtsider, Jun 30, 2011.

?

Are you satisfied with the way the Movie-verse has depicted the Decepticons?

1. Yup, I'm content.

53 vote(s)
    49.1%
  2. No, I'm not.

55 vote(s)
    50.9%
  1. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Poll says it all - post reasons explaining your viewpoint, if you feel like it. Yours truly is especially interested to hear from people who picked choice #1. Pure curiosity, along with a genuine desire to hear and at least attempt to understand what you have to say, are my motivations. I have no intention of baiting anyone or letting this thread turn ugly, so let's keep things civilized. :) 

2. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Here I thought we are going to count how many Decepticons there are in DOTM.

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    No. They were underused, too easily defeated, didn't get enough characterization....Though I did like how nigh-invincible they were with the invasion, but even then they felt like a waste. They really could and should have been handled a LOT better.

4. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Reborn Comics Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There should be third option: I'm satisfied but they could have been done better.

5. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

No, they never even came close to winning. Even if they *thought* they did.

6. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I'm not happy with the way the movies depicted Megatron, let alone the rest of the Decepticons.

7. Nope

Nope Conehead

News Credits:
    The only ones that were done any good were Frenzy, Ravage, Laserbeak, Scorponok, and Bonecrusher. All other Decepticons pale in comparison.

8. Thundersmacker

Thundersmacker More then meets the lie

It takes two to tango, as it takes Autobots and Decepticons to tell a tale about transformers. The best Transformers Universes have characterized Decepticons in common. As soon as the Deceptions become 2D cannon fodder a lot of the appeal of the franchise is lost. It boils down to black & white, Good vs Evil. When the Decepticons are evil for evils sake none can understand the charismatic appeal of Megatron, the loveable treacherous nature of Starscream or the beautiful logical being of Schockwave.
    I wish Bay had portrayed the Decepticons more in the fashion of Sentinel Prime, a baddy with reasonable and sincere motivations.

9. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    These movies are not for fans of strong, intelligent Decepticons.
    Sure, there were a few instances where the characters were actually effective, but in general they were there to make the autobots look good.

Megatron- never really effective as a leader or general threat. In TF1, he was portrayed the best. From there, he went downhill fast. RotF had him as more of a lackey, and now in DotM he was pouty and 'Sentinel's Bitch'.
    Starscream- probably the best of the bunch characterwise, but had a horrible ending.
    Bonecrusher - Prime-fodder.
    Blackout - I liked him, even though some puny fleshbags took him down. The scene where he was walking towards Prime and Megatron and casually destroyed the street sign was too cool.
    Grindor- again, Prime fodder.
    Barricade- never understood the fascination with him, but at least he came back for the 3rd installment. He even did something, which was pretty damn good, all things considered.
    Constructicons/Devastator- well, not bad overall, just underused. That, and seriously weak.
    Dreads- they could have been sooooo much better. At least they were imposing at first, but pretty much ended up as scenery. Sad, really. Great designs, Decepticon ferocity and generally imposing.
    Soundwave- so much potential, so little usage. At least he and Barricade killed Wheeljack, not to mention almost tentacle-raping Carly.
    Laserbeak- probably the best of the bunch. He had so much character that he made up for some of the other cast shortcomings.
    Ravage- I liked him.
    The Fallen- pointless. Big scary bot ends up being pretty weak.
    Shockwave- this one hurts the most. He's my all-time favorite Decepticon, but ended up very ineffectual. Disappointing.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Too movie monster-ish and dumb in general. But badass at times.

I felt that way since Bonecrusher skated up alongside a bus.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

They never seemed to get the qualities that make for good film bad guys.

While American films do go for that good guys have to win thing the really great film villains don't make it look easy for the good guys. Memorable baddies like the Alien warriors in Aliens 2 could take down a whole squad of Marines, or the creature from Predator took down a best of the best special forces unit.

If the back of the toy packaging tells you more about a character than the film told you about the character, then you just aren't much of a character.

It kind of felt like instead of watching the cartoons or reading the comic books for Decepticon ideas that the movies decided to just borrow the Druid army from Star Wars except sadly even those Drones got more lines than some Decepticons.

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey, nice pun.

I had to vote "Yes" because it's a binary answer and I literally started collecting Transformers because the movie Decepticons were so cool.

Keep in mind, when the first movie came out there was a real fear that the Decepticons weren't even going to be a faction, just a collection of robot monsters. IIRC Orci described meetings where executives asked in earnest why the robots ever talked to each other in scenes without humans.

Instead, we got tons of different Decepticon designs, hints of a strict chain of command, loyalty from robots to a fallen leader, interaction and very complex, multilevel planning (DotM). They are clearly "the Decepticons." And their designs, while sometimes seen only briefly, are much more exotic and crazy-looking than the Autobots.

As far as my critiques, the poorly-conceived finale of RotF made them seem like a bungling mob. Individual soldiers, like Blackout, sometimes seemed to fall too easily to enemy attack (it stands out with Blackout because he was so powerful in the first scene). But DotM rectified this with the Decepticons making meaningful progress towards their goal, outright resisting frontal and air assault, dealing the good guys setbacks, and overall standing strong until the final push. And while some were defeated by soldiers as well, this time it felt like the soldiers had earned it by using combined-arms tactics, concealing themselves, ambush, and using Wheeljack's gadgetry.

What else is there to complain about? That they lost? Big surprise. That they growl a lot and speak Cybertronian? Well, why taunt a fleshling when you can just shoot or crush him? They are clearly intelligent and can speak, fly planes, etc. no matter how lowly they are. That they don't stab each other in the back all the time? Well I like to see this in Transformers media too, but problem is that this diminishes their threat to the humans and Autobots. (Plus, it runs the continual risk of making Starscream look ridiculous.)

13. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

I liked their deisgns and there were some good characters in each movie Blackout and Barricade in the 1st, Ravage and Starscream in the 2nd and Lazerbeak/Soundwave I guess in the 3rd... But yeah I would describe my overall opinion of Bayverse Cons as "disappointing" more than anything else.

14. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

Never liked the movie look DOTM was by far the best of the three but it still was a crappy flick.

15. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

And that as well

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Thus far: twenty-six content, twenty-two not. And hardly anybody from the 'pro' camp has chipped in with 'why'. Hmm.

17. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Love the designs (in general, a few exceptions are a given), hate the treatment.

Still have no idea how they managed to win the war.

18. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    With the exception of Megatron I didn't see much character development in any. Starscream, Soundwave, and Shockwave could have been so much better, though, with Wheeljacks death, Soundwave deserves the most brutal con award.

19. al91176

al91176 Decepticon

20. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Well, they were knocking down everything the humans were throwing at them. Bombers and fighters included. I´m happy with them and general I don´t care, bad guys are there to lose anyways.