Computer slowdown on Starcraft 2

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by UltraMagnus3786, Feb 19, 2012.

1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Hey guys, thought I'd ask a question to all the techies here. I've got an Asus gaming laptop from late 2009 that the guys at Best Buy swore would be able to handle Starcraft 2. However, I experience significant lag playing online games when running the game at its lowest settings. Is this a video card problem? Is there a way to divert my computer's resources to the game when I'm playing it to make it run better? I know for sure it's not a network issue, I get a message saying "your computer is slowing down the game." Should I get a new video card or is there a cheaper solution? Thanks!

2. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    can you tell me what graphics card you have? if they 'swore' it will run sc2, my laptop bought in 2010 used to run the beta on ultra, but now runs the game on medium as things have changed quite a bit.

or just give me the model of it, as that's better

most likely you do want atleast an i3 processor, as the game is very dependent on your processor, and not your grpahics card.

or if you are playing custom games, they spawn 2374987 units at once and yea that will slow down just about any pc, just the way it is, for custom games, turn everything to lowest

3. panzerjedi

panzerjedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Turn shadows completely off. You'll gain a lot of processing power back by doing so.

4. UltraMagnus3786

I think my video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M, the computer is an Asus G51VX. This is it: Asus G51VX-RX05 Gaming Notebook Review - HotHardware

Thanks for the help guys. I'm pretty sure the game is on its lowest settings, but I'll double check shadows too.

5. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    your cpu is the bottleneck, its not going to run sc2 well sadly.

most core2duos are not handling sc2 well, especially nowadays

what games do you play, lowest settings might work for 2v2s and maybe 3v3s, but no go for a 4v4 or the big 200/200 army battles?

sad to say theres not a laptop even from 2010 that can really handle sc2 unless you paid a ton of $ for [i3/5/7 are really what sc2 needs, dont let anyone say elsewise]

6. UltraMagnus3786

Tried playing today with everything on the lowest settings (shadows could only be turned to low, not off). Still had slow down, mostly in the later stages of a 1v1 with somewhat large armies. It really sucks b/c the slowdown sometimes prevents me from winning (haha, only half the time, the other half is me being a terrible player).

Thanks amd, I guess there's no point in trying to update the processor right? At that point, it's worth it to get a new laptop?