Computer Question

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Surge, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    This probably don't belong here but since the jerkoffs at Yahoo! Answers wouldn't answer my question, I thought I'd hopefully get some luck here.

My computer has a 2.2GHz Intel Celeron processor, 512GB of RAM, and a very old 1998 (I think) Nvidia graphics card. On my birthday, I'm gonna get a new graphics card at Best Buy so I was wondering: with a new card (w/PCI-Express slot), will I be able to play Halo and Star Wars: Battlefront II with good performance, judging by the other parts as well (CPU and RAM)? Thanks!

EDIT: It's a Dell Dimension 2400.

2. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Which Halo? 1 or Vista? And what graphics card are you planning on getting?

Also this should go in the video games and technology section :) 

3. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    You'll probably be okay, but RAM can be very cheap and you'd get performance benefits by bumping that up. Neither of those games are real hefty hogs though.

4. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Like the other guy said, you will probs be okay...Star Wars battlefront 2 doesn't need a good G CARD

5. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Halo 1; I don't have Vista but I'd like to get it some day. And I hear Best Buy has some good graphics cards for under a hundred bucks. lol I hope this thread doesn't get locked; hopefully just moved. I need some more info because I'm determined to upgrade my comp; I hate to say it but it's my dream to play those games at good performance. I have the Halo trial downloaded and the graphics, due to my card, are very......N64/PS1-ish; lot of detail lacking. It's like I'm playing a slightly advanced version of the original DOOM or something.

6. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

If your motherboard is old (and it sounds like it judging from the computer). You wont be able to use a new PCI-E video card as it wont fit into the same slot that a card from 1998 fits into.

7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Don't get Vista, stay with XP or get Windows 7.

At least 2GB RAM should be fine, as it isn't expensive. I have 2GB for years now.

8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    This. When I wanted to use my accidently bought S-ATA II harddisk, I just wanted to buy a new mainboard with S-ATA controller, but I had to buy a new graphics card, new RAM and a new CPU as well, because the old stuff didn't fit into the new mainboard...

9. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Save your money and replace the whole box when you can afford it, spending money on that antique is a dead end.

10. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

For the time being, buy a second hand graphics card that will fit on your motherboard.

Than when you get some cash, buy a new rig.

11. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    I have Halo 2 vista, It was great! But there is not enough people online at the moment, plus there was ( and is still there) hacker that screwed up the server list and stuff.

12. SC0RP0N0K

SC0RP0N0K Well-Known Member

The Dimension 2400 doesn't have a PCI-e slot, in fact from what I looked at in the specs guide it doesn't even have a AGP slot which means nothing you do will allow you to play either of those games at a good frame rate. So don't waste any more money on that computer.

I build and repair computers for a living. If you want a cheap computer I can build you one for around $750 plus shipping that will play Crysis, a very graphics demanding game, at over 40 frames per second. If you want to know more just shoot me a PM. I can even do custom case etching for you. =)

13. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Actually it does have a PCI slot and I really want to upgrade it even though it's an old computer. When I start school again in 9 days, I'll be getting my school job back; I'm part of the student work-force program. I don't make a lot of money at all, only 40 - 50 dollars every two weeks. So, I won't be able to buy a new computer because of other expenses. On my birthday, I usually get about 150 bucks from family. I appreciate your offer of building me a new computer but that's too expensive for me, no offense.

14. SC0RP0N0K

No, you misunderstand. You have a PCI slot, but you don't have a PCI-e slot, there is a huge difference. Very few companies make video cards for PCI slots anymore so it will be hard for you to upgrade to the point where you will be able to play those games. Also, by the time you fixed that old computer to it's maximum capability you will have put almost as much money into it as if you just bought a new computer yet you still wouldn't be able to get half the performance a new computer could provide.

As for the money issue believe me, I understand, but really $750 is pretty cheap for a custom computer that can play Crysis at that level. But if money is super tight you could probably pick up a newer computer at Wal-Mart from two to three hundred that will be able to play those games but they won't play them as well as one I could build either. It really comes down to price vs. performance. Good luck to you.

15. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Heres a link to a halo combat trial download.

One map, but its multiplayer.

Maybe try it on your current machine first or see if a trial of star wars is avail for you. Or somethin.

Halo: Combat Evolved - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

On a side note, there is AGP - PCI seperation and others but I think your machine has a AGP video slot probably.

I think that celeron was a great chip. I also say dont put too much into that dinosaur.

16. SC0RP0N0K

According to the specs I read online it doesn't have a AGP slot. =(