Computer Question: Retrieving Old Information...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Witwicky Camaro, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    I'm not sure whether or not this belongs here in the General Discussion or the Video Games and Technology section, but here's my question and situation:

Anyhow, as some of you know (I think), My parents bought an up-to-date computer to replace our eight year old computer we got in 2001 [to replace the old Macintosh Computer we've had for as long as I can remember], but to my dismay there was a lot of information on our computer I would've loved to have gotten off of there.

So my parents sent our computer to some guy who claimed to know how to install more memory on our maxed out machine. (At the time, we thought a Virus was causing all our problems, turns out it was a low memory.) I didn't trust the dude and shared my disagreement with handing our already problematic Windows 98 Computer (Upgraded with an 2001 Edition of Windows XP) to some dude who sold used computers, but they gave it to the dude anyhow.

When it came back, all the CD-ROMs we put into the computer didn't work because the computer continued to Reload itself whenever one was placed into the CD-ROM Drive and tried to load (I think it was the same with the Floppy-Discs we still had as well). It wouldn't play the MP3s I had stored on there (there were about 900+ MP3 files on there. And its probably what took up all our memory, aside from the Video Files [.MOV and WMV alike]) and so far its the only computer I could use to mess with graphics. I think the only thing it could do was Delete and Restore files.

The guy didn't do anything... except maybe make the computer act worse, IMHO.

My Mom told me there was someone who could get our old files off the computer, but my Dad says that they went out of business and thus all our options (being that only one) were gone.

So I'm asking, is there any way to retrieve any of that information still stored on that computer (if so, how?) or is it a hopeless cause that should be abandoned? I.E., I should just chuck the computer into the Garbage and let bygones be bygones.... :eek: 

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Pull the HDD out of the old computer and put it into the new computer as a second drive.

If you can't do it, surely you know someone with basic computer building skills that can.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  3. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

More specifically, install the old hard drive as a slave in your new system, I did the same exact thing with the hard drive from my old computer when I bought a new one.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    And depending on how new the new computer is, you may need an IDE --> SATA adapter.

Not sure though - do most new computers come with SATA standard, or maybe an open IDE port for this exact reason? I haven't bought a new computer in 5 or 6 years.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Agree with both of the posts above. You'll definitely need a new computer with a new operating system in order to peek in on the files on the old hard drive, but...assuming the files are still there...making it the 2ndary hard drive in a current computer should allow you to explore the old drive and find your files.

6. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Slap the old drive into an external hard disk drive enclosure and grab the data that way.

One VERY risky maneuver is to do a single partition parallel installation which can get to be very messy very fast. That is done by reinstalling Windows into another folder named something like Windows2, Windows32 or hell, even BobsWindows. It is done in a manner to allow easier and quicker recovery of files directly off of the hard drive.

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Slaving the old drive into the new computer, is good. If the new system doesn't have a spare IDE connector on the mobo, you'd have to get an IDE controller card.

You could also attempt a non destructive windows reinstallation on the old computer.

This why I don't keep my files on my C partition. I like to be able to reformat, without risk of losing my data.

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought a new PC this past October to replace my HP that was running WinMe on it.
    well, being overly cautious, i bought an IDE/SATA adapter.
    when i plug it in, my computer only shows a fraction of what i had on my HDD. it does not even show that an operating system is on the drive.

i gotta get someone to install the hard drive the old way so i can transfer the data to the new drive- i got over 15 years of writing and other things stored there.

aint technology grand?

9. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:
    Wow... :bowdown:  You guys know your stuff. Thank you so much for the boatloads of information. This helps alot :) mail).

10. Red04Cobra

Red04Cobra Well-Known Member

That sounds pretty odd. You could go about buying a IDE/SATA to USB device like this one from Newegg. I bought one of these for work and it comes in handy!

11. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:
    Calamity Strikes Again...?

Hey guys back with a another Problem concerning our new computer:

About a month ago, I was attempting (and succeeded) to make a Movie Montage Music Video and I managed to slap NINE Movies onto the HD, but it slowed the computer down considerably (facepalm) and a lot of my family members complained about, but Ignored them until I finished both versions of my montage (there was no way in hell I was going download those movies again).

Anyhow, My sister decided to she was going try and upload several hundred pictures onto the computer from her Digital Camera, (never bothered ask if there was anything on the computer, she just assumed I deleted all those movies) and then suddenly the computer started acting like he was carrying an anvil on its back. The fan system in the back was extremely loud, it was slow to proccess things, and ironic thing is, my sister really didn't get the new photos onto the computer. I dunno what the heck happened, and her explaination left me more confused than enlightened.

Frustrated I tried to delete the folder that held her photos in it and suceeded. I got rid of the major bulk of the photos, but now the Folder and and some non-working WMV clip (about 10.0 KB in size) still remain. Even after I had gotten rid of all Nines movies off my HD, every time I try to delete the folder and the non-working the computer will not do it.

It just freezes up the PICTURES folder and gives me the notice "Windows Has Stopped Working" and then I have to restart the folder again. The computer indicates that there are no viruses on my computer, and I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Any suggestions?

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Error check the disk and then defragment it (right click on the drive, properties, tools). If it still won't go away, find a windows install CD and learn how to delete files from repair command lines.

Moral of the story - don't fill you system partition up to the point where the OS and/or file system can't operate properly.

13. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:
    I got that much. :banghead: 

14. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:
    Hey, the "Defragmenting" process won't get rid of anything I don't want gone will it? It'll just resolve the problem I've got goin' on?

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Nope. Error checking the drive will analyse the file system for faults and fix them if you tell it to, Defrag will reorder the data on the drive to make it more efficent and tidy.

If your still having problems after doing those two, then you've really got to get your hands dirty.

16. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:
    Damn. Thanks again!

17. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:
    Okay, Defragmenting and Error Checking didn't seem to do a thing. I may be out of memory or something, but what's the "Hands Dirty" Process?

18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I would backup your files onto DVDs, reformat the drive, and then reinstall.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I'm admittedly confused about your situation.

I think you have 2 computers and the older one may be a Mac, but then I think you said you have XP on it.

All of the proposed solutions for transferring files will work, but I don't think the easiest one has been explored. If both of your computers are on the same network you should be able to explore the contents of each and copy the files over.

You may have to share the drives first. I can explain it here, but I think just going into Windows Help and typing 'Sharing' would be better. If the computers are not on a Network but each one has a Network Interface Card (NIC) then it is a simple matter of plugging a network cable into each of the two computers.
    Because this is a computer to computer (or 'peer to peer' in computer jargon) setup you will need to use a crossover cable. The cable should not cost much more than $5.

I hope this next paragraph doesn't offend you -really just trying to help.
    It concerns me that your new computer is having trouble with movies and pictures.
    Maybe it is not the new computer -I admit that I am confused.
    But if it is the new computer I suggest you look into some warranty service.
    I can't imagine any computer produced within the last five years having difficulty in managing a few hundred (or even a few thousand) pictures.

Unless your sister uploaded pictures from a $30,000 professional grade camera that is taking pictures at 20 MegaPixels in uncompressed TIFF format I don't see any reason for an issue.
    Your hard drive\processor should be up to the task of anything that a common retail camera throws at it.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey Mega Moonman, do you know if they ever revealed the real alien from your sig?