computer progress

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by domientius, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Update on computer repair status--

Yesterday I sold a good deal of stuff to megamus which allowed me purchase of a Western Digital 160 GB EIDE HDD at Circuit City for $80.

Got home and was dead tired so I put off installing until this morning. Faulty drive, apparently. Seems the rattle the cashier and I heard in the box was not the papers shifting inside or something. Another hour drive to CC to exchange it, no 160s left so I pay the $20 difference for a 250 GB drive.

So I stop at Target and see they have the same 250 drive for $10 cheaper. Drive back to CC and their price match guarantee results in a call to Target to confirm the price and I now have a $90 250 GB HDD. Worth the hassle.

Mind you, I stopped at Staples for some last-minute purhase choices and I see a 320 GB model for $100 but I figure it's not worth the return hassle or the $10 more. 250 GB is going to stretch me rather far. I did buy a new HDD drive cable though for $7. Can't hurt at this point.

It is not installed yet. I'm posting at my cousin's as my old HDD finally kicked off yesterday. I'll work on it tonight. Might have to reinstall video and audio drivers. I do have a fresh XP with SP2 integrated disc to install from.

I'm not upgrading to a Vista machine. Next $100 I get free I will grab a new video card as Intel Integrated Graphics is basically pointless and inadequate these days. Maybe ditch the dialup modem card for a USB slot expansion, possibly replace the old cooling fans and such, maybe get some cheap RAM cards for an expansion...

2. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    www.newegg.com

Some of the best prices around, excellent customer service, and the shipping time is insanely fast. Check them out when you're shopping for new parts.

3. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

You've got it all figured out. There isn't anything for me to say what to do at this point. Keep up the good work.

4. domientius

Unplugged and gutted the computer at 11 PM. New HDD cable in, unplugged the largely non-functioning floppy drive(it basically never worked right anyway) and removed the old drive. It was a Seagate drive, and given their rep of making mediocre crap it's a wonder it didn't fail long ago.

New drive in, boot from WinXP CD, install XP cleanly with no hassle.

I'd picked up a 1 GB USB memory stick at Aldi for $9 earlier this week which I'd stuck the video driver install file onto. First thing I had to do was install said drivers.

I've tried to get my ethernet modem working but so far I've had no luck. The Netopia install CD seems to quit with an error. I suspect the modem is configured to the old HDD and I'll need to contact my ISP when they open about it. May need to be reconfigured, or replaced. Right now I'm on the 56K modem... I forgot how bad dialup is.

The WD HDD does run quiet. The old seagate was making lots of noise recently when it worked.

I will purchase a new video card for this PC at some point as well as replacement cooling fans and I might look into better RAM- the 2 256 MB RAM chips I got don't cut it anymore. I'd like to upgrade to at least 2 512 MB sticks.

5. domientius

And I'm basically done. Ethernet issue was drivers, not the modem. Had to install sound drivers as well. Good thing the dial-up net access still works on my broadband account if needed.

Now to work on re-downloading and installing various programs and games I used a lot.

6. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

Another great store for drives and ram is Other World Computing. At macsales.com. There prices are generaly better than new egg and there service is the best.

7. domientius

Those are Mac accessories and parts though. I use a Windows-based Pentium 4.

8. bandron

bandron seeker jets' nightmare

Ebay:
    Hey I just upgraded my ram and vid card so I have the old stuff lying around if you are interested. The card is a Chaintech GeForce 6200 256 meg AGP and the mem sticks are both pc3200 512 meg made by Geil. It is all still good was just able to upgrade. I will let it go cheap just let me know if you are interested.

9. domientius

PM me with your asking prices.

10. skywarp

I am sorry but, Mac and pcs use the same parts when it comes to drives and ram. Which is what they specialize in.

Look before you speak, it might keep your foot out of you mouth.

11. domientius

Flaming/Insulting other members will not be tolerated here - 2005 Staff

12. bandron

bandron seeker jets' nightmare

Ebay:
    Ok guys let's keep it civil. Skywarp, yes they do now use the same stuff however seeing as this is a somewhat new thing(I do believe they started doing that this year) you can't blame people for not seeing that. I looked over the site you posted and while they do have some decent prices they have a very limited selection. So the whole looking before you speak thing not so applicable here. Opinions are like pulses, if you are alive you've got one, doesn't make yours or mine or anyone else's more right or wrong.Domientius, the language thing, not so cool man. Yes this is a public forum and yes you have freedom of speech but the thing is that this is a PUBLIC forum which means that beings under the age of 16 are going to read this and we need to keep the foul stuff off here. It makes us look like we are just foul mouthed jerks. I understand where you are coming from but as I stated above we are all entitled to our opinions. Just keep it friendly fellas, thanks.

13. skywarp

Thanks for the comments.

I am not sure what you mean by recent though? Ram is ram weather it is a Mac or a pc, same is true of hard drives. It has always been that way but I am glad I can enlighten you to that.

Yeah otherworld may not have the wide selection of new eggg, but when it comes to ram I never buy anything but techworks. Since I have never had a problem with them and have lost or had problems with ram from viking and other cheap brands. But that is my experince.

As for the foul langue, as always it is uncalled for and unneeded.

14. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We do not tolerate flaming/insulting here at 2005.

And this thread is done.
    We really don't need a running commentary about you fixing your PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.