Computer Problems

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by AniProwl, Mar 17, 2009.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Since last week, my computer has been giving me problems. That's why I'm using a college campus computer when typing this. The most recent problem occurred last night when I turned it on and logged on to the desktop, the computer automatcally shut off. I tried again and it switched off again. It's a Windows XP. Can anyone help me please?

2. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

You will probably get more replies in the technology forum.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Sounds like it could be overheating or have a bad power supply. Pop the cover and check the fans, the CPU fan especially.

4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

This. Had a problem recently where my heatsink was loose and caused all sorts of problems and eventually started shutting itself down randomly.

5. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

^ THIS, especially if you have a Dell. For a few years now they've been having complaints from customers that their computers weren't functioning correctly, it was due to the heatsinks coming loose and falling off.

6. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    All right , now it stopped turning on and off randomly. However, I'm now at the the root of the problem which is the internet and volume not working. Both speakers and internet modem look like they're up and running, but they're not. I contacted both Comcast and Microssoft and they made me do several procedures which didn't do much. Then, one of them said that the drivers ad problems. I'm either asking for help from you guys/ gals, professional tech people (Best Buy Geek Squad comes to mind), or wait til end of April and take the monitor to Houston for my brother-in-law ,who's the real computer genius in my family, to fix it up.

7. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Gonna need some more info than just the internet isn't working. Any error messages, "can not display the webpage", anything like that? blank page? Does your browser open at all?

I might be able to help, but you'll have to be more specific.

8. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    This happens every time I try to open the internet(Mozilaa firefox, to be specific).

9. SmokescreenWRX

SmokescreenWRX Dude. Wait, what?

Is it only the 'net, or is it with other programs, as well?

There may be a disk corruption that's causing a shutdown to prevent a catastrophic crash.

10. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Only the internet, SmokescreenWRX

11. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Could be the network card. Check to see if there are any newer drivers out there for that model. Could be a bad network cable too. Try replacing it. I assume if you contacted comcast, they had you do a reset of the modem and/or router if you have one. If you do have a router, have you tried connecting your modem directly to the computer? Are you getting an IP address? If you go to start>run and type cmd and hit ok, a command prompt will open. In that prompt, type ipconfig. It should give you an IP address. If the address starts with a 169, then you're not getting a signal at all.

Try also to do both a reset of your IP and a DNS flush. To do so go to the command prompt I mentioned above and follow the steps below.

IP Reset:
    In command prompt, type ipconfig /release and hit enter
    Once it releases, type ipconfig /renew

DNS Flush:
    In command prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  12. SmokescreenWRX

SmokescreenWRX Dude. Wait, what?

Ok -- have you run a chkdsk? Are there any bad sectors?
    Is it only Firefox, or is it happening to IE, too?

If it's only Firefox, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling, or repairing the install (if possible)?