Computer news: Dell with Ubuntu

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zero Prime, May 2, 2007.

1. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/05/01/13147.aspx

According to the article Dell will start using Ubuntu 7.04 Linux on select PCs. I think this is a good thing. There have been far to few choices as to which OS you can get on a new PC. With Dell being the largest PC manufactor I think it will pave the way for other makers as well. I use 7.04 and love it. I'm glad to see it's getting support from the big boys now.

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I had a lady call in to work one night. Asked her what operating system she was using. Ubuntu. I had no idea what she was even saying. Googled it, found some info on it. Course that didn't change the fact that I had no idea what to do with it. All I could do was power cycle her cable modem and restart the computer. Luckily, her internet connection came back up by doing that.

3. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

i know a few people who are gonna be jumping in the isle at Dell over this........ofcourse i know a few people there who are going to want to hang themselves too.

4. Zero Prime

Why would anyone want to hang themselves? Dell isn't getting rid of Windows, just offering another option. Of course not everyone will like the Linux based operating. Vista has DX10, which will be needed for the newer games. Hard core gamers won't like the lack of DX10. Ubuntu gamers still have Nexuiz http://www.alientrap.org/nexuiz/. A very fun game at that.

Then of course there is the dual boot option. After I tried the live CD I went this route. Eventually I couldn't find any use for Windows on my system and got rid of it. Windows is very slow compared to Ubuntu.

5. Hound_Dawg

Oh i know. it will be due to the fact they will sit in a class room to learn the OS, get only 2 hours tops. then go out and take calls on the product. If they haven't gotten an email from the management going "You will be recieving calls on Ubuntu starting tomorrow" then the next call they get is on the product due to being skilled over.

They will flounder on what to do, get mad, put the customer on hold.......then on hold again......and again. they will try to go to NOS (the guys who are supposed to be software gurus) to get help and then get talked down to. Further pissing the tech off creating a bad Customer experience, pissing the customer off further and have to tell the customer they will recieve a survey via email on the quality of service knowing full well they bombed that call and will most likely be crapped on by their manager for not being top in CE. how they should have involved NOS and won't listen when they try to explain to management the situation.

I think it is great to have different choices. I fully support that. But most of the guys who are supposed to support it will not in turn be supported by those paid to do so. that is why they would be mad. :( 

6. Zero Prime

The only reason Dell would need tech support is for the hardware. As for the OS, that's what this website is for http://ubuntuforums.org/

That site is one of the most useful and helpful OS site I've ever been to. If it is OS related, the people there can help you fix it.

If Dell would decide to have an OS tech support I'm sure they would use actual Linux professionals. Besides, it would be more difficult to train an MS Pros to work on this OS than a total newbe.

7. Hound_Dawg

I see where you are coming from and i would agree with what you are saying but i worked for Dell. In Tech support, for servers and workstations. They have a group for software, named nos and there is paid support for software. When it came to software we got so little training it wasn't funny. Where software is concerned, we had to take the call, try to fix the problem ( no matter the OS) if we can't we had to go to NOS, ask them for help and were literally told that we weren't good enough to expect help from them. I sh*t you not, that is what we were told. We would have to bitch for a half hour to get them to listen to us. while customers are on hold. now when you are being audited on your call and your customer is on hold that long believe me management starts to notice. I have sat in rooms with my manager and area managers just going over the fact that i can't get a NOS person to work with me on software calls. Over and over again they would say "they are there to help you!" Over and over again i would say, "they're not helping anyone!" When stuff like that happens after taking a half hour to get help and not getting it, tack on the half hour you were trying to help them on your own just to come back and say, "sir, we have a specific software queue that can help in this situation, but it costs 199 dollars for 1 resolution call. we have to get your credit card or PO number before i can transfer you." Now, rules for using that queue are, you have to trouble shoot for 30 to 45 mins on your own, documented. then you have to go to your NOS person on the team. THEN, you have to go to your escalations rep, and have THEM suggest that you send them to the paid support.

Home users have the worst end of it. The have to take the call with no one near by if it has to go to software support then they have to pay 99 to 199 dollars for one resolution call. if they don't fix it in that call then you have to shell out more cash on the next call.

8. Zero Prime

This makes me really love Ubuntu's free tech support.

9. Hound_Dawg

QFT! i totally agree

10. TheIncredibleHulk

I'm going to be dealing with some pissed off customers once these machines start coming out. Right now, we don't support anything that isn't a MAC or running Windows. Doubt that will change any time soon.

11. Zero Prime

Where do you work at?

12. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

This is going to end horribly. Not that Ubuntu is a bad OS, it's not. It's going to be the type of person who actually buys a Dell, getting the OS, and the end results. It just won't be pretty.

13. Zero Prime

I think I see your point. That is, if you point is that Dell buyers aren't known to be very PC savy. Of course the OS should come pre-configured so that should take care of most problems. Dell should add links to Firefox leading them to the Ubuntu forums and gnome-look.org. A small introduction program may be helpful as well. Ubuntu is an easy program to learn, but if your afraid of the terminal then your screwed. Unless ofcourse they add Automatix to the package (a program that installs almost all desired codecs and programs that you may need). Unfortunatly Ubuntu doesn't support Automatix and it is possible for that program to hose your system. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

14. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

The main problem being, the average Dell consumer isn't going to go on the internet, and search through forums and such for tech support.

No, they're going to get pissed that somethings not working right, call up the Tech Support guys, and let them have it.

15. Hound_Dawg

true, that is very true. Most of the time the customers don't even think that the hardware and software are 2 different things. I would say even those who support servers think that if they have a bronze contract ( hw only) it gives them complete "free" software support. all the customers think when they call is that they paid 250 dollars more then the computer is worth on a contract they think you (as the tech) are not honoring.

the other problem is that Dell won't add those "extra/bundled" programs. They will probably not suport firefox and link anything due to their agreements with microsoft, but there are alot of techs there who tell people about firefox. I would say that the common dell user, the "dude, you're getting a dell" user is not at all pc savy. they see that dell is one of the big boys, they see a commercial talking about award winning service. With that, in their minds they should only know how to turn it on and the rest is up to phone support. With the software and forums, the techs will probably use them more. It was my experience that if they bought it with the system they shouldn't have to go somewhere else. When they introduced the firgure print scanner, Dell had a contract with that company to take all the calls on the software and 3 days before release they decided they didn't want to be bothered with it. it is possible that Dell will sell Ubuntu with the knowledge that the maker will never fully support the software on their end and leave it to dell. That is kinda what Red Hat did.

16. Zero Prime

Just wondering. Do Dell users also do this with Vista and XP? I'm only asking because you worked in tech support. If they do, then whats the difference, except that there won't be any calls about viruses or the such. I'm hoping the computers will actually be checked and all drivers installed before shippment. If so, the only thing that would break the OS is the user. Of course the user has a bad habbit of breaking lots of OSs and hardware and then calling it a piece of crap.

17. Hound_Dawg

by all rights all systems should go out with the latest drivers supported by dell. Dell will put out drivers for Linux, they do a handfull of them for workstations, not many, and they do some for servers. In my experience what Dell will do with with this flavor of linux is what they do with Redhat, and what they do with Microsoft. that is kinda a long answer for, yes. True that you will not run into viruses and such, chances are really really good that as a tech you wouldn't even have to run an install on the OS. When i worked there there was 2 people in all of the call center that knew anything about Linux, and one was an instructor that was off site for months at a time. the other was just to lazy to talk let alone look up from his screen to acknowledge you.

When it came to training or your new hire course when you start there, you get roughly 5 to 7 days out of 6 weeks devoted to windows and troubleshooting, with linux, 4 hours. 4 hours of linux, knowing full well that these guys will support linux on servers and workstations out of 6 weeks. most of the guys i knew didn't even know how to log into root, and if i am to be perfectly honest, i still don't know anything about linux.

18. TheIncredibleHulk

Internet Tech Support for Armstrong Cable. We service parts of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky,New York, West Virginia, and Maryland.

19. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Awesome as I love Ubuntu (although Im hating it at the moment. Cant get XGL to work properly, I cant get direct rendering to work properly, and I cant find a solution to fix this problem. So far I got things working so they dont crash, but I still dont have direct rendering working. Cant get the ATI driver to work properly -__- Its been a nightmare.)

But all that aside, fantastic OS... when it works like it should. Funny enough, the latest release is the most unstable Ubuntu Ive used. And distro upgrades are a nightmare in among themselves (has NEVER worked for me). That being said, tech support people are going to have nightmares from this. They're going to have to learn how to use Ubuntuforums. :p 

20. Zero Prime

Sent you a PM.

Also, ATI and Ubuntu don't seem to play well togeather.