Computer Help

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OptimusTron97, Jul 22, 2011.

1. OptimusTron97

OptimusTron97 I like the red water

So I decided to shut my computer down last night, And turn it back on this morning. But for some reason, the computer is going really slowly whenever I use a web browser to go on the internet, like it loads pages really slowly. My computer is also randomly making the noise when it overheats, like it is doing something other then using a web browser. My computer never overheats when I use a web browser, only when I play games like WoW or Minecraft. Also, it is making little ticking noises, like it does when I am downloading or installing something. I think it might me doing something in the background that I don't know about, or maybe it's a virus. Can someone help me out?

2. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Honestly, check out your fan supply. I don't know how old ur comp is, but the fans DO go bad man. I had that happen on my last computer. I didn't know WHAT the hell was going on. Sudden slowdown, weird noises, and stuff, and then it turned out that the coolign fan just plain stopped working.

3. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    I'm not a computer expert, but try and download Malwarebytes and then go to safe mode with networking.
    Also, there are many people on this board that are stellar with computers and programming. There are also other boards out there with dedicated service to people like us.

So basically what you do is turn off your computer. Restart it, and press f8 as soon as you do. This will bring you to a booting menu. Choose 'safe mode with networking'. The sound will not work, BUT you can still access the internet and thus this forum.

Since you have already downloaded malwarebytes, open it up and do a preliminary quick scan which should take 15 minutes to an hour depending on your computer.
    It will come up with a report log in notepad. Post said report log here for our tech savvy people to see, or on a computer help board.

Then you can run a full scan if nothing is detected.

A quick scan can usually find it.

You can also try to run MRT.exe which is a built in virus removal tool from Microsoft. BUT beware, some viruses try to hide themselves as said program. It should be located in C:\Windows\System32. Some malware try to camouflage themselves in the System32 folder also. Use this to detect if anything running is malicious. This basically adds onto Windows task manager (ctrl alt delete).

4. OptimusTron97

Could that happen if you play games too much? My sister plays Sims alot, and I play WoW and Minecraft. Can overheating kill the fans, causing problems?

EDIT: The computer seems to be working fine after waiting for a bit, could it just be a start up thing?

5. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Well, on startup, it normally does work slower off the batt, bc of the fact that it's loadnig and initializing everything.

As for playing games "too much"... it depends on the game and your computer's specs. The hottest part of your computer is going to be the graphics card, bar none. They heat up insanely, and when they start getting overworked, if your computer doesn't have proper cooling for the situation, it can make you computer overhear as well.

My new computer has a 2GB card, and I'm constantly running through 2 or three monitors at a time (gaming rig... lotsa' gaming... LOTSA GAMING), so I'm actually about to get a water cooling system installed into it. Even with 16 GB of ram, there are times where my computer is blowing out air so hot that it makes my entire gaming room hot.

So, I'd take the side of your case (or entire top depending on how it's put together) off, and actually feel around the graphic card when it starts to really chug or start making noise.

6. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Also, it sounds from your first post that you've had overheating problems in the past? That can cause permanent issues. And what Anti-Virus do you run? Some (notably Norton/Symantec products) run a background virus scan when a PC boots, which could also explain the ticking noise you heard (the HD spinning and accessing, even if you aren't doing much)

Is the PC old? Based on the Sims & WoW comment, I assume it's Windows, is it XP or 7?

7. OptimusTron97

The PC runs on Vista, and it's about 4 years old. It also has Trend Micro Pc- Cillin on it, does that also do a background check?

8. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    model of pc?