Computer help

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by adamthered, Jul 11, 2009.

1. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Hey guys,

This is for those computer saavy board members. I am having some issues with my desktop. I am running a Gateway FX7024 with Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit) 3 GB DDR2 Dual Channel, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad-Core with 500 GB HD. I purchased the computer about 18 months ago.

I have had issues with it from the get go. The on board sound card would go out and Geek Squad couldn't figure out why. So I installed a sound card and never had issues again.

Recently, the computer has slowed. Also, I have desktop icons for my City of Heroes and TVersity programs. These icons have the little Shield symbols in the lower right hand corner. Somtimes, but not all the time, when I double click to activate the programs nothing happens except the little circle spins showing they have been clicked. If I double click again they will come up as normal. However, the little circle still spins from the first attempt and will not go away until I begin shutting the machine down. That prompts a message saying the program is trying to run. Clicking okay stops it and then the machine powers down normally. This only happens with these two programs so I think it has something to do with those little shield symbols (though I am probably wrong since deductive reasoning and computer problems rarely seem to go hand-in-hand).

Then yesterday, for the first time, I closed out of IE and then the same window started opening up over and over again. Like a pop up, but not pop up, the same site I had just been to (IMDB if that matters). It just kept opening and opening so I had to shut down the computer.

I have ran my AV (Trend Micro), my spyware (Spysweeper) and they have found nothing so I don't think it's a virus.

Any suggestions on what this might be and what I might be able to do to fix it?

Thanks!

2. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

i had a problem like that once, a couple months ago, i would close a web a web page and all of a sudden that same web page would open like a million times. once i acutally staye and watched it and it opened the page 140 times!!! i believe what i eventually did was ran spybot in safe mode, eather that or i installed avast. eather way i've not had any problems, try one of those two and it might help.

3. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You have kinda Struck Out, pal. Your Three Strikes are:
    Gateway made PC
    Vista OS
    And you use IE
    (sorry, those are my opinions- gateway PCs aren't good to me anymore, i hate Vista so much and since i removed IE, my internet has been hassle free.)
    everything else looks good.

I suggest AVG- haven't had to use Spybot since i got that.
    but get Chrome, Firefox or anything else and stop using IE.
    A lot of bugs sneak past IE like you wouldb't believe.

don't know what to say about your programs, but i hope a new Anti-virus program and new Internet browser leads to your problems being solved.

4. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    With the problems you're listing, I'd just back up "essential" files and format the OS.

5. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Thanks for the feedback. I will proceed accordingly.

6. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:

This...

had the same issue with XP a couple times and nothing I did fixed it for very long.

Also, yeah, IE is dead to me since I started using Firefox.