Computer Help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeceptiKreep, Dec 1, 2007.

1. DeceptiKreep

DeceptiKreep Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have looked all over for help with his and am not having luck. The help I did find did not fix the problem. I think I have some spyware or adware on my computer that is causing problems. Sometimes when I go to specific pages, instead of directing me to where I want to go, a www.megaclick.com url comes up, with other crap and takes me to a cannot display page.

Some help has said to remove certain things and run spywayre and all that, I have and it still does not work. This is really beginning to annoy me. Anyone have any suggestions? Like I said, I have run things to fix it. Panda, Norton, Lavasoft Adware, Spybot ... nothing gets found. Is there something that will scan my computer even better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Ewido and AVG anti-spyware do pretty good and catch just about everything.

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    The best TEMPORARY fix I can think of is to switch browsers. It's not a permanent fix, but you could download Firefox or Opera and use one of those as your browser for the time being.

EDIT: 2nded on AVG. It's fantastic stuff. I've used AVG for years and it's kept my computer clean. It also eats up less processing time.

4. DeceptiKreep

News Credits:
    Thanks! I will try AVG and let you all know how it goes :) 

5. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

6. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    3rded on the AVG!

You already have some great advice, but to chuck my .02 in...

Make sure you use the AVG malware/spyware program too. Last I checked it only had a 30-day trial period, but that will suffice.

Also, some other things to check in Windows: go start->run and type in msconfig in startup tab (I'm not using Windows right now so I'm not positive of the name) and look at the programs set to start up. If anything is suspicious, Google them and find out if it's indeed malicious.

If you go to you control panel and take a look in "add/remove programs", you might get lucky and see some malicious apps there - Google them if you're not sure. Though to remove properly you'll probably need to boot into safe mode.

The most thorough way to I've found to clean malware is through HijackThis. It takes a little extra time and most likely a posting of your log file to a tech forum, or maybe even here, but it also cleans up a system nicely after the culprits have been found

Some of my suggestions may feel a bit dangerous since you can accidentally remove necessary programs - if you're not comfortable trying them out, don't do it.

Good luck!

7. DeceptiKreep

News Credits:
    well, I think I fixed it for now. Some Google searches said that it was due to a Megaupload toolbar. I searched my computer all over for it and could not find that. I then looked in my Firefox toolbars section and it was there, so I removed it. I also went to the AVG site and downloaded the trial for spyware and that got some stuff. I then tried the malware download twice and it froze my computer and actually really screwed it up. It would not allow me to end the download and when I restarted I could only get to my Welcome screen and then it sat there forever. So I had to restore to earlier time. Then I tried it again, same result, then restore to earlier time. So I am not trying again. If I have issues with it again, I will figure something out.

Thanks for all of your help! As always, you guys are the best!

8. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

check your add/remove programs in the control panel. maybe a hint of the program will be there.

Ya when a comp is infected, try to avoid all feelings to restore your comp and work to eliminate it in its current sytem state.

Maybe you want to add/remove firefox browser and download/reinstall the browser again to help eliminate the toolbar.

9. Slacker

Slacker Slacker Supreme

Good call on hijackthis, but dont remove anything your unsure of, norton/symantec causes no end of probelms by removing its phishing bho. Golden rule - Dont remove anything your unsure of.

To make your scans more effective make sure you use the custom sweeps on programs, such as sweeping for rootkits, and disabling browsers. If you need to make the scans more effective run windows in safemode, or make sure you close the browser down while sweeping. Also IE7 has its own safe mode under system tools, start ie with no addons. When you finish all your scans and programs make sure you set ie back to factory defualts. if your clean finish with a restore point.

10. DeceptiKreep

News Credits:
    I did all of this BEFORE I attemted the AVG thing. The restore was my last option as, after attempting to install AVG malware, it screwed my computer up BIG time.

Add/Remove does not show any programs out of the ordinary.

Problem is fixed now so I think I will leave it alone. :)