Computer Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alphie, Aug 11, 2007.

1. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Okay, as of late, my desktop has been acting really weird. Anytime you either eject a disk or pull a USB out it shuts down. But it doesn't turn off. It's kind of like rebooting itself. Irritating the hell out of me. Anybody have any idea what could be causing this and what I need to do to fix this? Much help will be appreciated. Thank you. :) 

2. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Is it overheating? My laptop was turning off by itself a while back, and my mom had that problem with her desktop, too

3. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    As far as I know, nope. Fan is working smoothly.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Sounds like a power supply issue. Could be overheating, could be anything, really.

5. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    What kind of computer is it? Did you build it yourself or did you buy it assembled? Is the USB port and the disc slot close to each other? Let me know these things and I might be able to help.

6. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    bfarneth - It's an eMachine. Came as is, but Kev has added new hardware to it. Unsure of what it is, I'll have to ask him. As for the USB port and disk drives, yes they are close together. USB is under the bottom disk drive which is inactive at the moment.

7. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Maybe checkk your windows power management section....other than that, loose wires, other than that, I would say check your bios.

8. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    ShortCircuit beat me to it. In the years I was fixing computers the bios would be the first thing I'd check (get to it on startup, usually the F2 or F12 key). Google your particular brand of drive to see what the bios setting should be. If the drive's bios are screwed up it could screw up the USB port assuming that your system checks in that order (ie: checks the drives then the ports).

If the bios are good then see if you have a corrupt power supply but for that you really need a voltmeter. You can just eye the mother board and see if the USB port and disk drive go into the same plug or go to the same Bus. If they do then it's a power issue and you'll want to take it in for repairs (unless you want to solder a motherboard). Worst case scenario, new motherboard - which means, esentially, a new computer.

Sorry to say this isn't something easily fixed based on advice from a few users. I'm only shooting in the dark, it could still be something completely different.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  9. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thats a tricky one to pin down.

For starters there could be a loose connection within the computer itself. Either a wire or the memory chips or, if you have any, an expansion card isn't seated properly and so it jiggles out of place when you insert or remove physical objects. This is easy to check though since you just open the case up and gently push everything into its proper place. This would be a bit trickier and less likely if you're using a laptop instead of a desktop computer.

As others mentioned above, it could be that your power supply is going bad. Its a fairly common occurrence in all honesty. I will say though that it sounds like this is not the case since the computer only restarts itself during particular actions (unless it does this at times unrelated to disk or usb insertion/removal). Same goes for overheating. If the machine were overheating or getting bad power from the supply unit, then you'd probably notice the restarting problem happening more randomly and not just when you're doing certain things.

Might not hurt to run an anti-spyware program on your computer if you don't already do so regularly. If your computer has aquired spyware at all... and it happens to everyone... then that may cause any of a million bizarre glitches including what you are experiencing. I highly recommend the programs Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D for spyware removal. Both are available free to download.

I'd say that if its neither of the above problems, then that kinda leaves you with a Windows problem. At that point there are a variety of options (none of them all that great). You could try running a "system restore" back to a time before this started happening. You might also get more drastic and either run the "sfc /scannow" command which will check out your core windows computer files and see if any of them are screwed up. This usually works pretty well but when it doesn't, the consequences are kinda harsh. Similarly, if you have a Windows CD handy you could try using its built in Windows repair installation option but just as with "sfc /scannow" this will either work great or make things worse.

Thats the best I've got right now. If you think you need to resort to one of the more drastic options please google search and read about, or PM/IM me. You'd just need to know what you _could_ potentially get yourself into and how you'd need to get yourself back out of it again, should something go stray.

Hope that helps some.

-DC

10. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    consider downloading new drivers for the hardware Kevin has added. Some of them may be unsigned or simply outdated (thanks to patching). Driver conflict can easily cause crashes like the one you are describing.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Check your power supply. I had an eMachine; they put the bare minimum needed to make it work in there. If Kev's added more hardware to it it might well be overloading the PSU.

12. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

Willing to bet this is the case. They can't even support all the USB ports with all devices plugged in normally.

FUN!

13. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    If that's the case with e-machines then you can change your bios (if you feel comfortable doing that) so that every port is off on the machine when it starts, then you can activate them as you need them. You can find all kinds of info on how to do all this with a Google search.

Of course it's a pain but you have to ask yourself (assuming that is the problem) whether it's justified enough to buy a new computer or deal with the inconvenience.

14. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Really I haven't added much new hardware. I had a 2nd DVD drive on there, but it's been on there for over 2 years now. For awhile a old floppy drive was on there instead. The only thing new is the new monitor we just got last weekend.