computer help: upgrading laptop memory

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by gil, Jul 28, 2009.

1. gil

gil Godmaster

So, my girlfriend's laptop is really slow now. She has a HP pavilion dv6653us (I'm trying to google the specs for it, but I'm only coming up with a shitload of battery links for it). Anyway, I think it has a 1.5 Ghz processor, and it has 2 Gigs of Memory. It's also running 32-bit Vista.

Defraging it dosn't seem to work, so I was thinking about getting more memory for it. According to Crucial.com, the computer maxes out at 4 gigs of memory, and i can get it off their site for about $55 (bestbuy is $150+). But it also mentions that since it's a 32-bit system, the computer will only recognize 3 gigs for the memory.

So, my question is, will jumping from 2 gig to 3 gigs help it become quicker?

Also, is there anything else I can do to help the computer run faster? The harddrive is practically empty BTW.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I kinda doubt it. If it's slow now and didn't used to be, there's stuff going on in the background that wasn't when it was new.

I guess it couldn't hurt, but I wouldn't expect a miracle. Format and reinstall is likely your best bet.

3. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty much what he said. An additional gig of ram couldn't hurt...BUT you more than likely have viruses and/or spyware

4. gil

gil Godmaster

Wow, that was quick. Thanks for the help!!

Edit, is there a way to find/get rid of the background virus/spyware without reformatting?

5. Scorpion

News Credits:
    I usually use Norton Antivirus and Ad-Aware....but if it's bogging down her machine as much as you say...it most likely WILL need a reformat

6. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Go into your control panel and see if you can nuke some items that start when u boot up the computer.
    If that doesn't work, before it starts up press f7 or f8 depending on your computer to access the boot options and see if you can't nuke some junk.
    It seems like a fine computer.

7. autobotguy

autobotguy Well-Known Member

8. SC0RP0N0K

SC0RP0N0K Well-Known Member

Skip Norton all together. Get Avast, it's free and it doesn't take up the memory that Norton does. Just Google Avast and you should have no problems. Also, get Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy, both are also free and are easy to use. The only other thing I use in my computer repair business is CCleaner, which is again free. It erases your cookies and all your tracking info which can bog a computer down.

Honestly though, if you have been running this laptop without any protection my advice would be to reformat since it will be next to impossible to get all the crap off.

9. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

First use CCleaner. It's a great and quick tool for removing unnecessary temp files from your computer. It also has a registry tool as well. Second run a disk cleanup. Third use SuperAntiSpyware and Malware Bytes. Both are free and are excellent at finding and removing spyware. Reboot when needed. If there's no improvement at all, you may want to consider formatting and reinstalling Windows.

10. Scorpion

News Credits:
    avast is okay, but I find it misses some things....ccleaner is a great idea too

11. gil

gil Godmaster

Hey, thanks for all the help. I'll try everything once I get my hands on the computer.

I hope everything helps and we don't have to reformat. She didn't renew the Norton thing when it expired a while ago. At least she didn't catch any of those fucked up virus that fucks everything up.

One more question though, If I download and run Avast, I don't need Norton? And should I uninstall everything Norton?

12. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Uninstall Norton.
    Avast will do what Norton does without bogging the computer down.
    Also try Avira Antivirus.

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use AVG and love it. no problems ever since i got it.
    one question for you, gil:

Do you use Internet Explorer? (Internet Exploder, some call it.)
    i might suggest after all this antivirus work and after you reformat, go to a new browser. Firefox, Chrome, anything but IE. that may save you tonnes of headaches.

14. gil

gil Godmaster

Sorry, does AVG and Avast do the same thing and I should choose one? Or do I run them both?

And I believe my girlfriend uses Firefox, but on those times I'm on her comp (very little) I use IE.

15. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

The Ram will def help as I had the same problem with my laptop a while back. I was running 512kb of Ram (bad I know) on XP. Soon as I upgraded to 2 gigs it was like a new computer. I think you only have to run one or the other not both. I used AVG and its great. No complaints. Not a fan of Vista but if you're stuck with it, and dont have an XP cd, then what can you do. Personally, I use Google Chrome for most stuff since its pretty fast. Some sites with flash and what not I'll use IE or Firefox.