Computer help needed.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tfgraveyard, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Hey all,
    I just purchased a new computer. It's a HP Pavilion a6700y, with a 9150e quad core processor. Plenty of ram, plenty of hard drive space. I also purchased a Black Widow Hard drive eSata + USB docking station. My old computer had a sata hard drive, and my plan was to put the drive in the docking station, and using the usb 2.0 ports, transfer my files over(around 200gig). The box for the docking station says it supports an eSata transfer rate of 3.0 gbps, and through usb 2.0 up to 480 mbps. As far as I can tell, my computer doesn't have an eSata port on it. So, here's the problem. I've got it connected, works fine, can see the external drive, etc, but I can only get a transfer rate of 15mbps. Is there anyway to increase it? Or should I just open up the PC and install the drive inside?

Matt

2. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

You're better off installing it inside. esata is far superior in speed than USB.

3. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    That's what I'm thinking I might do. I have 3 open Sata ports on the motherboard. I kinda liked being able to switch the external between my 3 pc's though. I guess I could just learn how to network them together. :D 

4. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    Ok, I installed the drive inside the computer, sata connectins.

And now it transfers data even slower. Only getting 7mbps transfer speed.