computer help for windows XP

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Megatronwp38, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Hey all

I seriously need some help I have a corrupt file for windows and Im trying to use the recovery disk. It keeps asking for a password for the administrator yet I never set up a password for any of my log ins. Where could it be getting a password from? Does windows have a default one?

THanks
    Fred

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Its the main administrator account that all XP installations have, you probably didn't realise that it existed since it doesent appear on the welcome screen after a normal boot if you've set up other accounts.

Ask whoever installed windows on the machine what they set it as.

3. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Well I have used it before when windows worked and there was no password i could just click administrator and it worked. Now widows wont load so I need to use the recovery and i tried leaving it blank and it didn't work, then I tried my password for my account, didn't work. the I tried dell because it's a dell, didn't work. I really don't want to call dell.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

What vintage is the copy of XP on the CD?

If its the original pre-SP release, you'll need to find a newer one or make a set of boot floppies using the tool from the MS website since there was an issue with the automatic installation stuff back then that could cause this.