Completist.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UnicronFTW, Jun 13, 2011.

1. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Are you one? Do you have to have every figure from a line?
    I'm not a completist... but I fear I have the potential to be one.
    Today I was looking at a brochure for RTS figures, and on one side, all eight deluxes were lined up. Jazz, Tracks, Wreck Gar, G2 Prime, Perceptor, Bumblebee, Fallback, Mindset. You know... and I looked, and saw that I owned all eight of them. And I felt totally awesome... I looked to the other side, and saw the Cyclonus/Rodimus pack, I saw that I owned that too! But then I saw I didn't own all four voyagers, and now I'm vowed to own those too. This scares me.
    So, are you a completist? Do you have the potential to be a completist? What do you think the benefits to being a completist are, or on a pessimistic note, what are the detriments?
    I can see that being a completist can be a good thing cause then you don't miss out. It can be a bad thing, cause it probably costs you a lot more.

2. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

hell no.

but i do like to see things in terms of smaller collections inside of my larger collection. for instance, right now i would like a masterpiece grimlock to complete my "classics" set.

it would seem better not to be a completest because then you could allow other characteristics of the toys to make you decide whether or not you want to buy it.

3. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

I'm totally a completist :) 

4. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I am not.

My tiny-ass room could not contain all those robots, and my tiny-ass budget could not support all those robots.

5. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I'm sure not. Even with stupid shit that's a no brainer, like buying skullgrin just to complete generations, it's like, "fuck no". I don't know why, but if I don't like a figure, I'm just not buying it, no matter how close I am to completing a line.

6. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I would say I'm an aspiring Bumblebee completist. I want to have all the Bumblebees from the Microchange to DOTM. However, some are very hard to find like the IGA/Mexican blue, white, the Cybcon Bee, and all Microchange Wagen variants.

7. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I'm not one.

If it wasnt for over seas and club exclusives, I'd could of been one under the BW and Animated lines.

8. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    ▲ And a very successful one I might add ▲

I'm also a completionist for certain lines.

9. Skalor

Skalor Stunticon

Started to move that way, but it's damn near impossible to accomplish without first setting limits (ie. a specific line). Only "complete" collections I have:

1984-1986 G1
    Transformers Cybertron (American, only need two figures to complete)
    Transformers Alternators

Only reason to complete Cybertron would be the fact that when the line was out, I though with the completionist mentality. If the line were released today with things being the way they are, I might reconsider...

10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I just can't do it. There are some figures I look at and I just KNOW for CERTAIN I would never buy it. The only line I'd consider fully completing would be G1 and even then it'd only be the first 4-5 series.

11. SeekerofTruth20

SeekerofTruth20 Prime of Primes

No I am not...I don't like repaints so I don't usually buy them unless I missed out on the original figure before. But also if I don't particularly care for a mold, I won't buy that either. Lastly, it's damn expensive and my wallet cries enough at night :/

12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. No longer.

13. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Generally I'm not a completist. I buy hat I want from a line and move on. Yet for some reason every time I look at the cyberverse figures I just can't resist making sure I have every single one. Right now the only available cyberverse figures I'm midsing are the 2 versioins of optimus commander and the megatron commander. I either have everything else here now or am waiting for it to show up in the mail. And I keep checking to make sure I haven't missed any figures cause they are all so damn awesome and, *cough* cute *cough*.

14. GrandMaXimus

GrandMaXimus Party in my tummy!!! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Definately not. At least not anymore. Tried doing it just for the sake of completing it. Some figures are just plain ugly looking and the endless repaints didn't help much. Now I just get what I like.

15. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    yup i am got sooo many transformers its not funny but i wouldnt have it any other way

so yes i am completest of show characters

16. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not, but this Cyberverse might make me.

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I am a completionist with Alts/BTs, but it basically stops there with me.

I've been on a run of US G1 through 1990 with the attempt to be a completionist there, and I'm nearly done, but I can't truthfully say "I am a G1 completionist". Machine Wars is a very brief line, and I have those, but even as brief as RiD is I don't have them all (sorry, but I'm not a Bruticus dog fan).

18. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was in the Unicron Trilogy line & have a good majority of what has come after. However I will be paring down the collection soon. A good amount of the repaints will be sold off, especially Unicron Trilogy ones.

19. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'm not a completist, at all. While I could be with the Henkei line, there's just too many Mini-Cons and Exclusives like Strafe out there that I flat out don't care for. Or figures like Wildrider and Crystal Convoy that I'm not all that willing to pay $300+ for.

As it is though, the only Henkei figures I'm missing are the 3 350Z's and Electro Disruptor Rijie.

Galvatron, Cheetas, and Dinobot fall under the "Don't Want" category as well.

20. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

If i was a ROTF completist, I'd hav 10 BB repaints and Tuner Mudflap.
    If i was a Generations completist, I'd hav Skullgrin and Thunderwing.
    If i was a HFTD completist, I'd hav Elita-1, Tuner Skids, SA Ravage, and Jetblade.
    If i was a RTS completist, I'd hav Fallback and The Fallen repaint.
    Yup, its kinda hard to be a completist. I'd hav $200.00 bucks worth of ugly sitting on shelves.