Minor/Repaint: Completed! Animated Cosmic Rust Rodimus

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ichnach, Sep 27, 2010.

1. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

update 10/8

Finally complete!! He has come a long way since I started this. I ended up putting several coats of flat clear over the stuff i glued on which filled in between a lot of it and made it look a lot better in my opinion. The idea was to make it look like a disease spreading across his body. I also added some areas where he had corroded away , especially the left foot and leg, some to the chest, spoiler, and left arm.

I added an LED inside his head and made it so the window piece that opens near the back of his head is the switch to turn it off and on. Just move it back a little and the eyes go out, put it in its proper position and the eyes come on. It shows up pretty well even with the lights on, but i included a shot with lights out as well. I finished it off with several coats of model master rust paint with some very thinned down copper and a custom mixed orange drybrushed for effect.

I am not sure how well it will be visible in the pictures but up close it really looks rusted. I actually showed my dad and he said "get that rusty thing out of my kitchen what is wrong with you?", not knowing it was just paint. Thanks for all the ideas along the way. I learned a lot from this and would change a few things if I had time, but I am taking to to Slagacon Saturday for the custom contest. I probably should have done more to his back and his right leg still isn't that great, but I am happy with it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  2. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    I was waiting for somebody to try this! Interesting way of doing it, nice job overall!

3. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    wow I can just hear the screaming from all the people who could not find this figure, lol , nice take on this btw.

4. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

I've been to 8 Toys R Us' this week looking for this and you're.......grrrr. Looks awesome tho dude! Really "painful". I would suggest some "negative" effects on it too. Take a small torch or lighter and get the plastic soft and poke it rapidly with a scribe, or small pin. That would add a nice feathering out look to the corrosion. Great job!

5. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Ouch.

6. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ouch...it looks good certainly, but considering the rarity of this toy...hooboy!

7. foxindebox

foxindebox Plastic Crack Addict

Nice effect, looks good (I especially like the expression).

8. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    So as insanely hard as this figure is to find, you go and make him swim in a bucket of wet sand? :( 

Then to top it off your say you cleared out a TRU so you have extra to do "this"??? *sigh*

Why?

say what you will but....well, some of us can't find the guy and have been searching for the last couple months. why not help a brotha out?

I'll give him a good home. :) 

9. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cosmic rust in 3D :lol  I like the idea-poor Roddy. I think you could win the crowd if you sell them your extra Roddy's :D 

10. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

The bad part is this IS the extra lol. 1 to put on my shelf of rodimus, 1 to put with my shelf of animated, and 1 to keep on the card. I have 36 different rodimus' and counting, with more on the way. I DID call local transfans so they could also partake of the animated goodness, so it wasn't like I bought them all. I made sure others got them too before the damn scalpers.

11. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the value of the rest of the TFA Rodimuses just went up slightly...

12. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

That would suck. lol. Good Job!

13. KowBot

KowBot Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOO! I can't find this guy and you go and do something this awesome to him! BTW, if you didn't know already, Sector 70's having a halloween custom contest. This would be good as an entry. Halloween/Quintesson Contest

14. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty cool idea, I woulda tried with someone less desirable first (like breakdown or blazemaster) but that's me. I like the idea of using pebbles but I wonder if mud or dirt would work better, look more solid if you will. Maybe putting wet mud in spots and letting it dry then flake the excess off and see what's left behind.

15. TwinSpin

TwinSpin Hot Coffeebot

grrrrrrrrrrrr

16. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    Personally I would have tackled that with games workshop base flock, but nice job all the same...but damn I hope you have an uncustomised version of him too

17. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

little update. Also, under edit it let me change the title but it doesn't show when i browse the forum. Is there any way to change it?

18. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

You can go make a title change request over Here!

:) 

19. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Awch! Even though i'm a UK fan who has (by paying through the nose) managed to acquire both the UK and Jap versions of this toy, this still makes me wince! Sorry dude, but this is sacrilege! Please sell on any other Rodimi in your posession before they get hurt!

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wow, the amount of butthurt over customizing a retail figure in this thread is insane,

looks great, very rusted and the look of pain on his face is very well done