Complete US/JP MP Collection - How much money?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bakushan, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Bakushan

Bakushan Well-Known Member

So let's say that I am just O/C enough to want every US and JP MP Release ever... current up to date.

By my count, that's something like, 26 Japanese Models and 9 US Models
    (for some reason the US Amazon Unicron is not listed here? US Masterpiece Transformers Toys - Transformers - TFW2005)

If I were to have a CC and could buy them ALL at one time, how much out of pocket am I looking at here? At an average cost of around $120 per toy, if not more, that's around $4200. Most of the Japanese MP models are in fact more than that, I just got quoted like $260 or something for the MP JP Megatron...

So, if I had a way to buy each one today for whatever it is that they are worth, I would be out well over $5,000. And that's just the MP series, which is still on-going in both the US and Japan. And that is the tip of the iceberg....

So in conclusion, this hobby is expensive, and my wife might come to hate this forum for taking away some of her spending money, lol.

:eek: 

2. Bakushan

And yes, I am OCD about many things. Once I get into something: I do not stop. It burns me up to think that now I have to pay 2X to get a US MP Rodimus because I didn't have the knowledge/desire to buy one when it was on a shelf at the original MSRP... Well, more than that, it burns me up that I dont have it to begin with.

I think I will limit myself to one MP a month. In 2-3 years, I should be caught up. That wont attract much attention from the wife.

Besides, if I just bought them all at once, where's the fun in that? Part of the excitement is digging, searching, negotiating and anticipating right?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
  3. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Perhaps a tangent, but you might want to look at buying one that's already opened: Quite a few of the US version seem to have an issue with the shoulder joints disintegrating.

4. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would strongly advice you to try to start at MP08 and go from there. Nothing before that will be in scale with anything. And the Prime mold is pretty much the only good ones of those.
    Since then we've had updated seekers, and a rumored MP Megatron is in the works, same as MP Ultra Magnus.
    It's your money (and marriage) though :lol 

5. Bakushan

Yeah I am not aiming to have a MISB collection, I plan to use whatever I get as a part of a display in my office I am building. Maybe I can save a little by buying loose ones.... who knows.

6. Bakushan

So I just need MP-08 to 13 to be good then?

And just to clarify, all Japanese versions of these toys are "MP-X or MP-XX" part designation right? All the US Releases are just "MP-TOYNAME" correct?

How much cheaper, if any, would these be if I actually lived in Japan? I have some friends who live in Tokyo and could smuggle me in some. In fact, I am taking my camaro to Tokyo next year for a burnout contest and will have some time to hit the local toy shops. Perhaps I can take advantage of the trip to grab some JP MP's at a much lower cost?

7. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    26 Japanese models? That many, really? And there's no point in collecting BOTH the JPN and US model for some figures.

Unicron is not in the database because he's not a MP figure. He's a repaint from an older line.

That being said, you should invest on an MP 08 Grimlock, a Rodimus [be it US one or a V2 Japanese], Prime [MP10], Soundwave, Starscream [wait for a reissue of MP11], Sideswipe and maybe Red Alert. By my count, excluding shipping, that's a little over 1000 USD maybe?

Trust me, the high end line of the transformers products is much cheaper, product to product, than any other high end line on the market ;) 

8. Bakushan

26 is from here.

Transformers Masterpiece Toys - Japanese Transformers - TFW2005

9. Knightdramon

News Credits:
    List includes Movie Starscream and Bumblebee, carry overs from the US market. Both have awesome paintjobs and matching packaging, but [especially Bumblebee] are not real MP figures.

List also has like 5 versions of MP1 Convoy [sleep, black, last issue, complete, original] which is essentially the same toy repainted, not to mention mp2 magnus as well which is completely obsolete now.

Moreover, list includes Laserbeak as a separate entry from Soundwave [they are on the same package], and has Rumble and Frenzy separated as well when they might be one package.

Lastly, the list has all the issues of the first seeker mould, which better versions are already out [US Thundercracker, MP11 Starscream] and so on.

See how lighter the list actually is than what you originally thought? ;) 

10. Astronut

News Credits:
    In my opinion? yes, that's all you need. I personally see no point in "sleep mode optimus prime", or "clear starscream" and whatever else they've repainted them into.
    MP Megatron is a mess, the original seekers are very unstable and have a lot of hip kibble. The only one I'd consider is MP Skywarp, since it doesn't look like he will be made from the new seeker mold any time soon. Or just go with Igear's version.

For Japanese releases you'll always save money by buying them when they come out. US releases MAY end up in clearance if you're lucky. US releases are cheaper, but often comes with less/different accessories or different colors.
    For example: US MP Rodiums didn't come with the trailer, while US MP Optimus Prime has his, and slightly different colors.

11. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you want scale, you should start at MP-09 actually.

12. Bakushan

But a collector... collects them all: right?

I thought the MP-02 Magnus looked awesome... why would he be obsolete?

And thanks for condensing the list for me a little, I feel much better about it, haha.

13. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    With the MP line buying some previously owned figures might be to your benefit and not just because it would be less expensive. The original Takara green MP Starscream was made from some very sensitive plastic with a tendency to break. The Takara Rodimus Prime also had a few bugs in it but they were supposedly fixed for the second run. Even if you can afford it, it still sucks to pay a premium for something MISB only to open it and find out it's defective.

And Megatron has rusty feet.

14. Astronut

News Credits:
    a collector collects whatever the fuck he wants, that's the beauty of it :) 

15. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    some of those like bumblebee and starscream are movie masterpieces too. not sure if you want those or not. they're basically movie leaders that were released here in other lines, but have more paint apps on them. if you want them just for the toy, you can probably just buy the US released versions for much much less.

soundwave's minions all have placeholders there too. most of those are going to be included in packs, not individual releases afaik.

as far as the early mold primes, you really only need mp-4 there. it was like the perfect set of him with his trailer. no real need for mp-1 or last shot if you have mp-4.

I like the older masterpieces though. While it's true if you want to stay in the current scale you should start with MP-8, some of the old molds are really nice too. I would definitely recommend picking up some version of the MP-1 mold if you can, though. MP-4 would be ideal if you can find it at a reasonable price.

yup. get whatever makes you happy.

16. Astronut

News Credits:
    Yeah, but skipping MP08 would be just as bad as Skipping MP10 or MP13.

17. Bakushan

But why would I get a MP-08 VS a US MP-Grimlock?

18. Astronut

News Credits:
    US MP Grimlock is cheaper, and comes with different accessories. In my opinion the US version looks better.
    The takara version comes with an apron and a serving tray (yes.), while the US version comes with a crown and sword.

19. Knightdramon

News Credits:
    Cleaner deco, perhaps? Novelty of apron and tray and all that? Fantastic black box versus all plastic packaging of the US edition? Or the fact that they're both now at more or less the same price? If you'd asked me when one was 60 USD and the other 150 we wouldn't be having this arguement ;) 

Also, a collector is vastly different from a completist. A collector picks what he wants [collects], a completist buys everything with the brand\line name on it.

20. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

If I were starting now, I'd really start at MP8 Grimlock and go from there. Here's why:

1. I only just tracked down an MP7 Thundercracker that cost an arm or a leg instead of both. And, as bad as $250 is, that's pretty much the floor on them right now. Not that they don't get listed lower (and bid up) or higher (and sit and sit and sit)...

2. The new scale starts at MP9 HotRod.

3. They're unlikely to redo MP8 Grimlock.

4. MP5 Megatron will eventually be replaced by a new version scaled to MP10 Convoy (which replaced MP1 Convoy and MP4 Convoy). MP6 Skywarp and MP7 Thundercracker could be updated, during a lull perhaps, to go with MP11 Starscream (which replaced MP3 Starscream). That only leaves MP2 Ultra Magnus, which, let's be honest, is nothing particularly special.

5. Calculating from MP8 Grimlock to MP14 Red Alert, you're already talking at least $1200.