Minor/Repaint: Complete set of Classic seekers (img heavy)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Sarrow, May 7, 2007.

1. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

Hi guys I posted this at tfans yesterday, so sorry to anyone who has already seen it....

anyway, i finally MADE time to finish my custom seekers using the classic molds. I'm copying my description and text below:

Starscream: panel lined and missle tips modified.....red paint redone to be darker & duller, head & eyes repainted.

Thundercracker: midnight blue, missle tips modified head & eyes repainted.

Skywarp: repainted magenta parts to a more accurate purple, changed paint apps to fit in with the other 2 seekers, again, missle tips modified

Dirge: custom wings made all from the stock figure, cut off tail pieces to form front wings, cut off rear wing fins, flipped them and epoxied them to reverse sides. He's my favorite of all 6, the blue and yellow turned out exactly as I wanted it to.

Ramjet: removed paint apps to give a more plain/g1 feel. Replaced clear canopy with a yellow one from a donor starscream

Thrust: uses modified original G1 thrust wings attached to a starscream body. The wingspread is a *little* wide, but I feel that it gives his robot mode a more ominous look.

None have insignias purposely, and I do not plan to add them. When I took pictures of the plane modes of the second seeker set (Dirge, Thrust, Ramjet), I omitted the missles since I think their alt modes look better without them. Other notes: I used tamiya acrylics and testors acrylics all brushed on. I don't even know how long it took for all of these guys, but building Dirge and Thrust took the longest and were the most painful!! I'm still touching up paint on bits here and there each time they are transformed. I find that after about 3 or 4 coats, the areas stop chipping/rubbing off and become glazed/fused to the plastic parts in question. Any questions or comments welcome. Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's Nice! I like your concept for Thundercraker!

3. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

This is the best custom I have ever seen: colors are perfect, style too. Congrautlations, you can be proud of yourself. Make more! :) 

4. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot guys! :)  Yeah, I went with more of a "dark" theme in general with these guys...esp. thundercracker (dirge and thundercracker are prob my fav 2).

If I didn't work full time now, I'd devote much more time to customs. It's just that between my regular job and doing freelance stuff on the side, I don't have much time for customs :( 

I have a reissue soundwave with some paint mods and I plan to do a couple characters based on classic rodimus and mirage in the future. Will prob be a while though til I can get the time.

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Those are absolutely awesome!

6. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Whoah, only one minor thing, G1 Thrusts wings look a tiny bit big on the Classics Seeker body.

Otherwise, all fantastic!

7. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

things of beauty

8. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

Dude those kick ass on a higher level

9. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mention that in the post, but I felt it was the best solution rather than reinventing the wheel.......I actually searched the stores for some sort of toy to get the fans out of but couldn't find anything. I could have saved a week or 2 if I just went to ebay in the first place :) 

In the end, I like the larger wingspan compared to the botcon Thrust's smaller fans/wings. I think the wider wing span and larger fans makes him appear more menacing and evil :) 

Thanks for all the praise guys! It's great when you put a ton of work into something and ppl appreciate it!

10. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    dude...dirge looks so cool...i really wish that botcon dirge had been remolded....still bums me out thats hes not....

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Incredible job

12. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow those pics and those seekers are amazing!
    Pic heavy... i love it!

13. Masterpiece Man

Masterpiece Man Active Member

Ebay:
    A lot of work there. Nice job.

14. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

Thanks! You did an outstanding job on your packaging too, couldn't get any better IMO.

You're right about the work...a lot of painting and stripping to get the finishes right. There are still a few nitpicky things I'll probably address, but it took about 2 months to get this far so.. :) 

15. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign None shall stand all shall fall

News Credits:
    I think the Thrust wings are a bit out of proportion. For the rest, WOW!

idd

16. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

Yeah, this was a necessary evil unfortunately since I used orginal g1 thrust wings. They were ground down a bit on the edges, but they're still just a *little* large for the scale.

I searched every toy section that I could trying to find fans/tubines, but I couldn't find anything suitable. In the end I just went to ebay and bought a g1 thrust/dirge lot. I still think the large wingspan adds to his look...in a good onminous way :thumb 

17. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Nice job! Love the realistic look of the paint apps.

18. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

Well, that's very, very, very specific to the G1 look. Good job on that, although I haveta say I just don't feel that. Those Dirge wings are nicely, nicely, done, tho.

-hx, personally, I wish the BC skyraiders got *more* unique schemes like Starscream and Skywarp have, but hey.

19. guarddog8471

guarddog8471 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nicely done, Sarrow...tell me...how did you do the wings for Dirge? I am in the midst of doing my own Dirge, but how did you get that look? I see you cut the tips off of the wings, and obviously glued them upwards...are the other additional parts of the wings from the stabilizers that you also cut off?

But I am very impressed with all of your seekers...they look absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

beautiful work on Dirge.

You cheated on Thrust's wings. You were supposed to go through painful research, measuring, cutting, sanding, painting, etc... Just kidding. They look pretty good, big, but good.