Complete newbie needs help fixing Skyhammer

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Snark, May 22, 2011.

1. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey all, I'm very new to figure collecting, having only started to get into them late last year.

Anyway, I got a DotM Skyhammer today, and unfortunately, the dude's hips are very loose, with his right hip practically incapable of supporting his weight when his feet are at an angle.

So I was wondering, what's the best way for me to fix it, keeping in mind I have absolutely no experience in the matter. I've heard about using nail polish, but would that work for Skyhammer's particular design for his hip joint?

Thanks all.

2. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

Well by looking at his hip design, putting nail polish or super glue in his hips joint may not be effective. I'm trying to take it apart now, but it looks like taking out the screw on the backside of his hip won't open it up. You may need to take out the pin on the silver spike near his knee. And since I fail at taking out pins, this is where I stop. =/

3. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Try tightening all the screws in that leg, if it doesn't work, exchange it for a new one. Because I wouldn't take my chances with any pins.

4. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

Use a needle and coat the inter part of the joint with future floor polish. It works great for hard to reach joints!

5. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

If you have the means, you should consider exchanging him for another at the store. No point in fixing it if it's still plentiful and easy to obtain right?

6. newmanium

newmanium Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Not everyone has access to needles. But I agree, 25ga needle is great for applying future floor polish.

7. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I'd need to look closer at how the hips work on mine, but there's a pretty good chance that just tightening the screws on his ass will fix the problem for you. Recently, over the past couple years, we've had a lot of transformers where the tightness of the hinge joints depended more on how thick the post the hinge was on, as opposed to how tight the screw holding the whole assembly together was. Skyhammer is one of those nice figures where just tightening a screw will tighten the joint, as opposed to needing superglue intervention.

8. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

I had to tear apart the left arm on my sky hammer, they put two right side bridge peices between the inner arm assembly and the grey outer arm, had to take it apart at the pin, shave the slanted area off and now the arm will finally go together right.

9. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    This is crazy. I literally just picked this figure up before work, and have the exact same problem. His right leg wants to do the effing splits.

I think I'm jsut taking it back if tightening the screw doesn't work.

10. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Tightening the screws will most assuredly work, I was able to tighten all of mine's even slightly loose joints by doing that.

11. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Yea, even looking at it, the screw looks raised compared to the other side.

12. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    Heyo. I suppose I'm coming to the rescue. The problem isn't any pins or anything...it's that the thigh pieces are glued together. There is NO PINS HOLDING THEM TOGETHER, so don't worry about knocking them out. Basically unscrew the two halves, and then take a hobby knife and start cutting into the seam on the bottom end, and gently start working it apart. The idea is that you want to pull it apart without damaging it too much. I was able to get some clean snaps at the seam, so there's no damage on mine.

Then it's a matter of using your favorite tightener. Nail polish, super glue, floor varnish, whatever.