Complete and utter ignorance...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jametron, Oct 3, 2009.

1. JetsAndHeels

JetsAndHeels Banned

I'm no expert when it comes to grammar and punctuation, and I am not even an english teacher. What I am, however, is a teacher who believes that proper reading/writing skills are essential in ANY area of education or life.

2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

I know many kids that use text message language as a SPOKEN language. (actually saying OMG LOL MAH BFF) I cringe when I heard it. But to think that they can use it to do their school work...

which is why i don't use the concept of TXT MSG language.
    takes a little long to type a message. but it's damn worth it.

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Oh, so much this. As a teaching assistant, which basically means that I grade all that teacher's test so he can do research, I get to read alot of essays. Now, I try to give them some slack for poor grammar and spelling. I understand that they're taking timed tests, but when I see internet and text lingo in an college essay I lose my cool. I think what bothers me and alot of others is the general abandonment of the proper methods of writing because either it's too difficult or takes too much effort.

I also remember a time when said kid first came to this site with his strange funny ways, and no one KNEW that he was autistic. Of course people were gonna rib him a little, it's the god-damn internet.

4. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seriously? I would hate to read that shit. I don't even use text message language in texts.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I do agree attacking someone for their poor English ( which may be caused by using a online translator) is poor behavior

6. JetsAndHeels

JetsAndHeels Banned

It's funny that you mention this, because I had this happen about 2 weeks ago in my class of 9th graders. This is how it went basically:

Me: "So who in here can tell me what types of punishments a supporter of retribution would favor?"

Girl in front row: "IDK!!"

Me: {facepalm}

7. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

What? No corrections this time? I guess I must have put some effort into my post this time. Funny how with the mistakes I made (mostly typos to begin with), you were still able to read and understand what I was saying. I believe not being able to understand posts is the root of the problem here.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

High five, guy. And that was hard for me to give a Tarheel--except my Jackets stomped y'all last weekend hehehehe...okay, I'm done.

9. JetsAndHeels

JetsAndHeels Banned

High five accepted.

Wait, you were rooting against the Heels last week?

Where is my purell?

:) 

10. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Yep. I can't learn a second language for crap. And I'm incredibly jealous of the people on here who learned English as a second language.

Perhaps Nevermore and some of the others should get together and make a language learning software. :lol 

You're probably doing the kids a favor too. :D 

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I don't know. I have enough pride that I would feel like a jack ass if I didn't put some effort into punctuation and spelling.

12. JetsAndHeels

JetsAndHeels Banned

I hope they realize that, because usually they just think it's another "mean trick that the teacher is playing on us."

13. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait, what?

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, Rosetta Stone is generally acknowledged as being an outstanding program for learning a language. But it's pretty expensive...

...oh, unless you're in the Army. In which case, the contract we have with them means you get any of the languages you want completely for free. :D 

Tambien, hablo un poquito espanol. And I rocked medical Pashto when I was overseas.

15. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Cool story, bro. Well, never thought of it that way.

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thank you.

I don't see it as ironic. It's irrelevant to the comments that got him banned anyways. Now, if I was the target of the racist comments that led to his ban, then it would be ironic.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's ironic because you're clearly flattered by optimus major thinking you were a genius. But! He was also the kind of guy who clearly has a horrible attitude about black people. One wouldn't expect someone to value the opinion of a racist person. And when you behave opposite of what's expected, it's ironic! :thumb 

But if it isn't ironic, it's one of two things. Either you think his perspective on the world is generally sensible, so you're a genius and he was right about black people (obviously not), or you're just being selective about what to agree with him on (and thus, believing that he's right when he's complimenting you and wrong when being racist). And that's a little...well, silly, y'know? ;) 

18. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Is he saying Californians don't know how to use proper grammar and English? All I read from the original post was internet rage.

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I met a Californian (Californiaian?) recently, and according to her, wouldn't it be "internet agro?" :confused: 

20. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    What does any of this have to do with the discussion, besides you being a dick about an irrelevant sig quote?