Complete and utter ignorance...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jametron, Oct 3, 2009.

1. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    ...from those who apparently can't wrap their heads around the fact that everyone on the internet is not of the white, english ethnicity model.

It's really kinda lame, monotonous and frustrating to see so many threads eaten up by post after post after post of "grammar please" and "learn english" etc etc etc... even when a posters message is clear, though their english is not.

This place is starting to feel like a klan meeting sometimes. Wake up people, www stands for WORLD WIDE web.

Not everyone's from California, dude.

Thanks for letting me vent!

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    This has nothing to do with Transformers.

3. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You didn't capitalize the word English.
    Just sayin'.

4. jametron

News Credits:
    Yeah well neither does complaining that someone's English isn't perfect when trying to discuss Transformers. And last time I checked this forum was called General Discussion.

I can see I'll have lots of support on this matter.

5. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Then go post on a forum that uses your language of choice... and way to insert some psuedo-racism into things with the whole "klan meeting" thing. Stop seeing things that aren't there.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Grand Wizard to Jametron: Cool story, bro.

7. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    No this is Transformers General Discussion.

And anyway, some posts are really hard to read because of poor grammar and such.

8. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Theres a Non-TF General Discussion further down the page.

9. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    There's certainly times when people shouldn't immediately attack somebody when their English is not perfect (younger fans, non-native English speakers, etc.), however, there are also alot of times when there is a discussion going on and somebody who should have no excuse just messes it up.

It gets a bit sad when a non-native English speaker like moi has to ask a 17 year old American guy if he can please use proper punctuation. As much as we all like to think 'what you type does not matter as long as it gets the message across', posts like:

'omg wow did you see starscireaam he was so BADASS I AM YELLING srjgt iog fsdg and then oepteimus o lol rox'

DO make you look like an idiot, intended or not.

But going back to the original point: yes, I DO think it's a bit annoying to see a topic made by somebody with poor grammar skills, only to have the next 20 posts be 'learn English man!'. :) 

I just don't get why you have to use connections to being Caucasian and the KKK in your post though, it's pretty discriminating and has nothing to do with te subject of using the English language properly (there is a reason English is used all over the world, partly because it is a damn easy language for people to learn, not because white supremacists want you to).

10. jametron

News Credits:
    Oh, so this forum IS just for english peeps? K.
    Not my intention, but by saying it, you knew what I was getting at, didn't you? Look, when some board member from Malaysia posts something with broken english and EVEN SAYS SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH that should be that... but when it's followed by post after post of "eyes hurt, cant read", "speak english or log off" etc, that's just being folksy and whimsical, huh?

I'm not saying it;s downright racist, I'm saying it's hurtful.

And please don't give me this shit about this doesn't belong here... if these endless posts about poor English and grammar are just okey dokey with everyone spread ALL across a TF discussion message board, then me making an observation about the cruelty of it is just fine too.

If not, then lock er up mods, apparently the majority rules and I'm alone on this one.

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    ok well not to say it's not ok for you not to have English as your first language but, this is an English forum. If it bothers you go to one in your native language. Bye.

I have browsed TF forums in other languages, I don't know what they are saying but I like all the pretty pictures :D .

12. jametron

News Credits:
    Thank you. Finally, someone with some understanding. I agree completely.

Yes, I went overboard with saying "white". But look at the history of the world man, who has, more than anyone else, tried to dominate and conform everyone else to their ways? But regardless others are guilty of it too and I shouldn't have been so specific. I just get passionate about others being treated badly and start ranting... sorry.

As for the "Klan Meeting" comment... well, just being metaphorical there.

13. Evil Porkchop

That wasn't what I said. If you don't like having to use the english language to post here then post elsewhere.

14. jametron

News Credits:
    It is English, and I'm from PA... but that's irrelevant.

15. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I agree that this should not happen. When somebody is really trying then those comments are inappropriate.

In reply to Evil Porkchop and your comment: In order to be able to communicate with each other, this website has the 'rule' to speak English. You don't want people to start talking in different languages because that will totally seperate everybody from each other. This is not a forum for just English people but that does not mean people should just be allowed all kind of different languages. Indeed, pretty much every country with Transformer fans has their own languaged boards, so if anyone feels he does not have the proper English skill to participate in discussions on this website, I think they should consider joining a board where they can more freely express theirselves. ---> but if people are willing to try it in English then they should be more than welcome here. :) 

I understand, but you have to be more careful with using terms like that, especially on the internet, where people are more quick to jump to conclusions. It gives the wrong idea and could steer a discussion into a topic you didn't want to. :thumbs2: 

White people didn't want to dominate and conform everybody else more though..we/they just got more 'lucky' in exanding our silly little empires overseas. Oppression and slavery is something that appears everywhere on earth, no matter race or color. There are also African tribes oppressing other African tribes, or Chinese people that want to smite down the Chinese Christian and Muslim minority. :)  - But that's a whole different discussion, one that's not fit on this board, so let's leave it at that.

16. Evil Porkchop

Really? Seriously? You don't even want to go there. Try actually reading some actual history books.

17. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Oh well you were saying how everyone is not from America. Yet, you are.... interesting. Then yeah you should really learn how to write in English. Wait are you an immigrant? Then that's different, people from other countries might have a harder time learning a new language.

18. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    As stated, no it's not, it's Transformers GD, GD is down below.

QFT.

Wrong.

oh, and in before lock.

19. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Might be a while before lock, mods are sleeping ;) 

20. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Frequency of unintelligible posts plays a large role. Someone posts something missing most of its vowels once, nobody is gonna really get up in arms. But after the hundredth post, people are gonna start to say "dude, nobody knows what you're saying."