Complaints of Hasbro for doing but 3rd parites do now

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by videriant, Oct 21, 2011.

1. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Simple. People use to bash Hasbro for doing things but 3rd parties seem to be following in the same footstep.

1) repaints

2) exclusives

3) breaking up the band
    (i.e. Hercules not sold as a gift set, Bruticus upgrade not sold as a gift set)

4) little information about future plans

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I would like to comment on this:

1. Repaints: I think some repaints are understandable. If a party develops a starscream mold, I think a no-retool SW and TC, for example, are understandable. SAme thing with say, KMC's Nemesis prime, SG prime, etc. However, I feel a bit irked when they are released with no products in between to "buffer". Like, if MMC release another KMC repaint without a diff mold product in between I would not be too happy with their choice.

2. Exclusives: I have no problem with this; As long as its kept contained, like the one that most people want, the main stream character depiction, should be kept non-exclusive, if possible. Like, don't exclusive an optimus prime. if you get my drift.

3. Breaking up the band: Don't really care for it. I guess its because its a norm even in the older days. If there is a gift set at the end, that's cool, but if not, that's fine, too)

4. How much information they give about their future plans is up to them, I don't really care for it.

I will add a few of my own:

1. Copying others. I detest this. I think 3rd parties are great if they are more original, and I tend to support those, more. For example, MMC's molds are all theirs. Same with FP and PE. iGear, however, is on a product to product basis for me. The seekers are going overboard, and not only going overboard, but endangering the positions of all 3rd parties by getting VERY close to Hasbro's line.

2. Doing the same products. I understand this cannot be avoided as more and more groups emerge, but seriously, we don't need things done again and again, if its NOT a drastic improvement. Products related includes: New Sixshot after Hexatron.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I think I can sort of explain the double standard here. Since 3rd party companies are typically fans themselves that are simply responding to niche demands, collectors are expecting more production of new molds, kits, etc. from these companies instead of Hasbro repaints that are obviously phoned in.

And given how much these pieces typically sell for, it's almost as if you're buying a convention exclusive anyway.

As for little to no info, you have to remember that 3P means of production, resources, budgets, promotional media etc. aren't on the same level as Hasbro or Takara. I'd say that Hasbro/Takara do a better job of keeping fans satiated with existing product and upcoming release info. It may not always be what we want, but the information is there. DOTM toy announcements and releases seem paper thin compared to Movie 1 and ROTF, though.

4. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

1) Repaints: I'm fine with repaints, it's inevitable and a good way to get molds to people (some people like the redecos more). The problem with Hasbro's redecos is their obsession with ONLY redecoing Optimus Prime in red and blue, and Bumblebee in yellow. No sane person has an actual problem with the idea of redecos.

2) I hear very few complaints about Exclusives from either side. Hasbro's gotten a lot better about not making necessary figures exclusive.

3) When has Hasbro done this in the past few years? And who complains about third parties doing this?

4) I'm going to agree on this one.

5. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

i think we all knew that even 3rd party will eventually end up doing the same tricks takara and hasbro has been doing for years to make profit. no surprises here. also the complaints come from the same peeps so no surprises there either.

6. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never bashed Hasbro for doing any of these things. It's a business....they do what they have to do to maximize their profits. Third party companies might be in it a little more for the "fun" of the hobby, but its still a business and they deserve to profit from it for their hard work (except maybe iGear).

7. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    1) - Its a way of making more money from the same mould. virtually every toy company on the planet does this to some extent

2) - Again most of these are just repaints or minor remoulds which were planned from the start to make more money from the sam mould.

3) - why sell it all as one when you can separate it out and sell all the parts for a more managable price...but still more than it would have been if you devided the price of a set...making more money overall.
    Releasing every few months while still developing the others is a crafty way of paying less in warehouse costs and probably sneaking their shipping in with someone elses who has space in their containers saving money.

4) this is probably due to the 3rd party companies being so small they are only working on one or two at a time and don't know for certain themselves yet. Some of these 3rd party companies might only be one or two people working together.

1) - they copying is pretty much them just making knockoffs rather than an actual 3rd party piece.

2) - I think some of it is coincidence and them having similar ideas at the same time. Others are just insane choices like the multiple sixshots. Some of it is just picking popular characters, or toys that can be easily repainted to quickly make more money from the same moulds

8. seali_me

exactly. both parties are there to make profit. plain and simple. its not like 3rd party are doing you people any favours without anything in exchange. nor do they exist only to serve the fans needs. the only difference is that 3rd party companies are more opportunistic and parasitic kind of company. support igear they are the best at what they do in this industry. lol

3rd party =/= santa clause

there's no magical company that will solve every fanboys dreams. even if you scratchbuild it yourself, you'll find yourself yearning for improvement.

9. Satomiblood

Regardless of how people feel about iGear, at least a handful of people are working hard to produce these modified and downscaled molds. And given the upcoming minibots, as well as Ratchet and Ironhide, it all seems like a wash anyway. iGear is still meeting a demand, much like FP and the like. It doesn't matter if it's a smaller version of MP Prime, a retooled version of the seeker mold, or something completely new, they're still doing something right for the collector market. They've got just as much a right to exist as FP. And this is coming from someone that owns way more FP than iGear product.

10. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I can't afford to buy Hercules or Giant in one go so I prefer that they are sold in bits it's like a Magazine subscription or something.

The only thing I'd dis Hasbro for lately is the pigs ear they made out of their handling of the DOTM line.

11. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't get me wrong. I never complained about any of this. I was just interested in a list and wondering if there is a double standard or has the fandom come to understand that Hasbro does most of what it does for a reason. Thought of a couple more.

Parts-formers

Shell-formers

Black repaints

Clear repaints

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  12. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Aren't you always the one complaining? (in general but mostly third parties anyways). So yes, no surprise that you would be here.

Hm, I do hear a lot of complaints about these, but honestly, I don't see any problems with it as long as its not like Kreo, you take apart everything just to reform. (part former aspect)

Shell-formers, I think its just a bit lazy. I usually think that for both Has/tak and third party designs though. I am big into transformation and the creative-ness of the designer, so I certainly appreciate the products more when there is a "clever" process involved.

Black repaints and clear repaints are like, the perfect exclusives :p : They are not unique characters (sometimes), and yet, they are desirable. Another paint scheme that's very close to that would be SG.

13. seali_me

hahahaha. nice one. you're right. i just don't really agree how it milks the fandom and leaches off tak/bro.

i don't complain about takara and hasbro products.

parts formers, shell-formers probably won't see daylight.

14. Satomiblood

Brown man rebates.

15. seali_me

^

pretty much. hasbro's all about that dude.

16. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

1) I don't understand why repaints are 'upsetting'. Don't buy them...problem solved. The only case I can see being butthurt about it is if you like the repaint better, but already purchased the original, especially in the case of 'premium' versions and the like. Putting out the same thing only better after the fact is weak.

2) Exclusives...eh, whatever. You have to order all these things online anyhow, so what's it matter?

3) Does Hasbro not release things together these days? Most stuff I see that's whole purpose is a set is all sold together. Anyhow, my preference would definitely be 3rd Party stuff be released at once, especially when they decide to do jacked up shit midstream like black shovel toes, but what can ya do?

4) Disagree with this completely. If anything, 3rd Parties should keep their shit under wraps better until they're in the ball park of release rather than teasing it with outlines for 3 months, showing prototypes for two years, finally putting up a pre-order, then releasing it 6 months later. Now if that's the complaint, then sure. But the problem isn't little info about future plans, it's little bits of info long before they should really be sharing it.

17. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind repaints as long as the repaint is another character (not just evil/good version of a good/evil character) Don't care for the typical Nemesis/Sleep/Clear versions, but love white Prime repaints :D 

Exclusives? Don't care.

I would never have gotten Hercules if they did it all in a gift set. Spending around $100 once a month (less) is far better than spending $600 on one paycheck.

Don't mind the secrecy around future products, it keeps the hype up and makes it a lot more meaningful when they do send out news. Imagine the rage if we knew exactly what FP's plans are for the next 2 years, when some of it falls through and doesn't happen.

18. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Another thing to keep in mind about third party repaints is cost reduction. The more of a product they sell, the lower the price of each. If they get creative with the design to allow parts to be reversible and transformed differently, the repaints won't feel like the exact same mold again. Kinda like Universe Sideswipe/Sunstreaker.

19. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm removing black repaints from the list. No one's every complain about black repaints. ;p

Some people unrealistically believe that if repaints were not released then that 'slot" would be taken by a new mold. **roll eyes**

Other (or the same) people who believe that exclusives are only made exclusives to screw them and prevents a mass retail release **roll eyes back the other way**

I was thinking about the energon combiners and build teams when I first listed this. They did end up putting them together when they repainted them. This is probably not a big deal but I just threw it out there.

Why should 3rd parties keep their shit under wraps but Hasbro be expected to tell all? I'm talking about the shit that Hasbro gets when they state that they cannot say much.

Same deal. Cost reduction applies to both Hasbro and 3rd parites. It's less now but I still see a lot more complaints about Hasbro and few about third parties. Why?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  20. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    The answer to all of the questions posed:
    It's the modern day mentality. People want instant gratification. When they see a multi-million dollar company, they believe they should give them what they want, when they want it. Though, if they see it as a small company, fighting to give the fans what, those same people feel the 3rd party companies have much more leeway in what they do. It's the modern mentality, and it makes people idiots, hypocrites and just plain stupid.