Competition for Revenge of The Fallen at the 2009 Oscars

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

I'm pretty sure all the CGI in Transformers is going to be excellent but there's gonna be quite a competition seeing as last time Transformers got screwed by The Golden Compass (Or The Golden Compost, as I like to call it) my list of contenders for the best Computer Generated Imagery are:

Transformers Revenge of The Fallen
    (Just about everything. I think more than 70% of this film has something Computer-Generated in it.)

Star Trek
    (The scene with Planet Vulcan being devoured by a Black Hole :popcorn )

(I haven't seen the trailer for this yet. I think it's gonna turn out good. Are there any images of this yet?)

(The new trailer is out, CGI is very good YouTube - DS © Exclusive: 2012 Second Official Trailer HQ/ Segundo Trailer Oficial AD)

If I'm missing any or you would like to make a suggestion please post.
    I'm not sure if 2012 counts. Sure the CGI looks good but doesn't the movie have to be overall decent to watch? This is Roland Emmerich and I really don't think any movie he produced was good and I doubt 2012 will be better than that horrid Godzilla remake or 10,000 BC which bored me to tears.

2. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    LOL ROTF gets an oscar lol. Whew... aww you actually made me laugh with that one. I don't think A Transformers flick would get that kind of recognition.

3. Tyrannosaur

Instead of being Negative can any of the haters have a intellectual discussion about this? Instead of just going "OMG THIS SUX LULZ FTW" Give me a break already. And it's for the CGI which is amazing so if you just gonna bash this movie then GTFO of this thread I don't need your BS here.

4. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Oh no, I can see where you are coming from, but there is a lot more in mind when the academy picks the pool. The movie itself has to be groundbreaking and make a difference etc etc. While I don't disagree that what I have seen of the cgi is impressive but unfortuntely the fact is I doubt the high quality of cgi robot genitles will ahem...sway.... the judges. Sad but true :( 

There's just too much in the movie that would turn off the artsy types.

5. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

Your forgetting about the G.I. Joe movie in August....

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Expect that to sweep up at the Razzies. :D 

7. FriskyPinewood

FriskyPinewood Well-Known Member

Its way too early for this. But its a safe bet ROTF will at least be considered for a nomination for SFX.

But word is that Avatar uses some new groundbreaking tech in bringing the CG images to the screen. And its quite likely the academy will reward that.

Keep in mind how the oscars are chosen. Academy members working in SFX choose the films to nominate for that category, then all academy members vote for the winner. ROFT isn't pushing anything new SFX wise, it's just the same basic stuff scaled up from the first film. If something comes along that really catches the professional SFX artist eye (something new, different, technicaly intersting, whatever), they may not even nominate ROTF. But its still way too early to tell.

8. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I think a lot of people would like to forget about the G.I. Joe movie in August.

9. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Oh God! Don't bring that movie over here. It would be like Red Matter of negativity. TFW2005 would collapse upon itself and we would feel Nero's pain :p 

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

ILM has really pushed the envelope with the CGI quality of both films, but its' not going to win because the Academy almost always goes for the more "intelligent" choice because they have a reputation to uphold...a certain level of prestige. It doesn't want to be associated with Michael Bay or giant robots breaking shit. I'm predicting another fantasy epic will win over TF (something in the way of Narnia, Harry Potter, Golden Compass, etc.).

11. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is all that needs to be said. It won't win because of the Bay stigma.

12. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    No, it won't be NOMINATED because of Bay.

13. Sso02V

News Credits:
    Then explain the first movie's nomination.

14. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I think it has to do with the fact that at that point it was groundbreaking. This time around there is more polish, but it really hasn't shown us anything new. I can't ay 100% as I have not seen the movie yet.

15. Sso02V

News Credits:
    But talking animals aren't groundbreaking, yet The Golden Compass got the nom. and the win.

16. Tyrannosaur

Really? You are making fun of Down Sydrome? Michael Bay may not be the best Director but he sure as hell ain't the worst. The man has a lot of experience directing and he's the right guy for action movies. The media made fun of his "Explosions" and being the idiots they are the public thinks that too because, hey, everyone listens to the media (Sarcasm)

17. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I will agree Bay is far from the worst director, but the Oscars are for the best. ROTF had very impressive visuals but nothing they have not seen before. Like I said, I will reservce judgement for myself until I have seen the movie :D 

18. -Wreckage-

-Wreckage- I'm Not An Architect

News Credits:
    Hey, hey! Golden compas was not bad. I would have liked to see Transformers win, but don't make fun of a really cool movie...

19. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I was dissapointed that they removed all the anti-Christian stuff from Compass :p 

20. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Easily nomiated and probly will win for being first movie in over 50 years to film in eygptian pyramids I'm sure they will bring home something but watchmen is something else to worry about too.