compenent cables

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by rapid_fire, Jan 3, 2009.

1. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

can you use regular audio/video cables as compenent cables? or are they made differently?

like going from a dvd player to the tv. do I have to use the actual green/blue/red cables, or can I just use say, the red/white/yellow in their place?

they all look like the same generic cable to me. but I dont know if they are wired differently. just trying to save myslef a bit of money and thought I would ask :) 

2. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Well, the cables, physically speaking, may be interchangeable. The specifications are different so the actual quality of the video signal will probably be much poorer.

If you have an HDTV and have spent the money for that, why would you want to avoid buying the correct cable? For cables, just go to someplace like monoprice.com. You can get a 3 foot component cable for $3. I've ordered all of my cables over the past few years from them and all have been great.

Oh, and don't ever (ever) but Monster cables!

3. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Component cables are going to give you a tremendously greater picture, and allow for an HD analog signal. Search online for a component cable instead of buying one from Best Buy and you'll save a ton of money. Not getting one is like settling for VHS instead of DVD or worse.

4. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    While you can use any RCA cables for component video, you get what you pay for. The better quality the cable regardless of what it says it made for the better the picture. (IE: if you used a standard came with whatever set of component video cables and then switched to a set of Monster Cables that were meant for Composite Video W Sound (Yellow, Red, White) and used them for component you would see a marked improvement). However for a true HD signal you should use High Quality Component RCA Cables

In the end yes RCA cables are RCA Cables.

5. rapid_fire

thanks a lot for the tips :) 

just another question, my brother bought a ps3 the other day, and he got the HDMI cable for it so he could have it in HD, but now we find there is no way to hook it up to surround sound as well, as the audio runs through the hdmi cable directly into the TV. I suggested getting an optical cable to run to his surround sound reciever, but its not the greatest surround system, and has no optical input.

is there a way to run the system in HD, AND surround sound without using the optical sound output?

6. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    This isn't the most elegant solution, but my receiver is outdated as well so I just send the HDMI signal in and use the audio out on the television to output to the receiver. Most televisions (I think) should have an audio out on the back. Of course, this won't give you optimum audio but it's works.

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think the way with HDMI you're supposed to go is source (PS3) >HDMI> Amp >HDMI> Tv. The problem with this is you need an HDMI enabled Amp and 2 HDMI cables.

To get Dolby 5.1 surround it needs to be a digital signal, so either optical out or coaxial out will do the job, does the PS3 have either of these? Or even your TV? Just using normal stereo won't give you surround, pro logic at most.

8. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    I don't think the ps3 has coax, I do believe there are converters that will split off the sound to optical and coax from HDMI.

Edit: I have found a few that are switch boxes but they are pricey.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  9. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Eh, that's not really true. There was an awesome study done (I'll try to look for it) where they compared the quality of signals between high-end Monster cables, and a coat hanger. There was no discernible difference in picture.

And as a disclaimer, I have worked for a cable company for 6 1/2 years. Just use mediocre RCA cables. :lol  Just not the super thin ones that come with VCRs. Both component and RCA cables are 75 ohm coax. No difference really.

*EDIT* If you want to know all there is to this, watch this episode of SYSTM. It debunks many myths about this stuff: LINK

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  10. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Cool thanks for the info.

11. rapid_fire

yeah, thanks guys :)  we got all our gear running great now, thanks!!

12. rapid_fire

Hey guys, so I bought some component cables, but they aren't workign right, maybe they are broke? or maybe im doing something wrong, but I hook up blue to blue, red to red, and green to green, and it gets a scrambly picture, I've tried everything.

I even tried switching to another TV, same problem, scrambly picture. ok so I switch DVD players then, well instead of a scrambly picture, its monochrome red, and blurry. I tried wiggling cables, switching cables, even tried using yellow white and red cables, but I can't get anything to go.

should I return them and try another set? or am I doing something wrong?

13. GogDog

News Credits:
    If the picture is scrambled, the device is using a format that your TV does not accept on that input. What device is it, and what format is it outputting to (i.e. 1080i, 720p, etc)?

If you are getting a red or monochrome picture, one of the cables is not plugged in or it's plugged into the wrong port.

14. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I've got the exact same problem with my setup right now.

I've found that no one in any store selling electronics knows anything at all, ever. (No offense to anyone here to who works in electronics, it's just been my experience).

I've asked for something to convert an optical audio cord to an RCA red/white stereo cord, and they all claim it doesn't exist. But online, I've found several places where you can find them. The only problem is that they're expensive ($75-$100). I'm waiting now to get a new amp setup that will solve the problem.

15. rapid_fire

figured it out, turns out the DVD player had to be set to component cables under the setup menu, and that's why both DVD players were messing up, but gave two different problems. took me like 2 hours, but im glad I got the problem solved

16. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Signal conversion "switchers" tend to cost more then they are worth. You could get a decent receiver for a few bucks more. Onkyo is a great brand but not very well known due to minimal marketing/advertising.

@gogdog - your statement is accurate. $100 monster hdmi = $3 hdmi from amazon in terms of signal quality. I think there is just a high markup on Monster etc. :) 

17. GogDog

News Credits:
    Well, HDMI is even more so. Component cables carry an analog signal, whereas HDMI carries a digital signal, which is 1s and 0s; there is no degradation. The data either makes it or it doesn't.