Comparing The Endings Between Movie and Novel

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by JohnRedcorn, Jun 29, 2011.

1. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just as a disclaimer, this thread will have spoilers...

Anyhow, a couple of people have said that novel's ending was different (or better) than the movie. I am curious to know the difference. admittedly the ending did not sit well with me.

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Megatron surrenders to Prime, who tells him to take his troops back to Cybertron and rebuild. Essentially the 'cons get Cybertron, but they have to rebuild it themselves, and the 'bots get Earth.

I'm still parsing my thoughts. The book ending works well with the way the book is written (much of it is actually from Megatron's perspective). In the movie, it's kind of debatable that Megatron would have earned such a "happy" ending. In fact while he had great moments here and there, in general Megatron was underused in the film IMO.

3. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And to clarify: by "surrender" he actually drops everything, lies on the ground, and asks Prime to kill him because he's tired of fighting. In the film he's a bit peppier than that, and simply suggests a "truce."

4. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thats an interesting ending (the novel's), IMO.

5. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ I agree myself, but I explained it to my girlfriend after the screening and she hated it. Reason being that the 'cons are just SO brutal in this one.

6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But aren't the Decepticons on Earth because they need its resources to rebuild Cybertron? I haven't read the novel, but does it make sense that they would have a fight to the death, Optimus spares Megatron and tells him he can have Cybertron, and Megatron says, what, "Thanks, Optimus, we'll be on our way now"?

Seems to me he'd be more like, "Prime! You destroyed the AllSpark, you destroyed the Sun Harvester, you're keeping the Matrix... 'Cybertron is yours, but you have to rebuild it yourselves'? What the hell do you think we've been trying to do?!"

7. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I really preferred the Novel ending to what we actually got in the film, but DOTM was amazing none the less.

8. Soundwave9

Soundwave9 Decepticon

News Credits:
    That may have worked better than the ending used in the film and left the series open for a 4th film/new trilogy. By having Optimus execute Sentinel and Megatron, Bay and Krueger wanted to kill off any chances for direct sequels since they wouldn't be returning to the franchise.

9. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

The film ending worked better for the film, which would have needed some extra lines and scenes to make the novel's ending not so unprecedented.

10. tehCal

tehCal wherever you are i am not

Simple reason they went with the film ending: if he'd made a truce with Megatron, Prime would have been just as bad (in his own eyes) as Sentinel.

11. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    Given how short the battle was, I wonder if this was something that got changed due to the reactions of test screenings or something similar. I found myself wondering what Megatron had been doing sitting in the alley, until I heard about this. Either Bay wanted a conclusive ending to his films, or a test audience said they were disappointed Megatron didn't "get his".

12. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the main villain has to die at the end of the triology, american movie goers need villain blood to be content

13. SkyfiRe71

SkyfiRe71 Precursor

Yahtzee. Without the extra lines and scenes that the book had to prove to the contrary, Optimus would have been no better.

14. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It wsn't just the ending
    the chase scenes in the book seemed a lot more expansive than in the movie
    and I loved the movie!!!
    I really think Bay missed a power shot where Sideswipe ducks under the overpass sliding under it and Mirage (Dino) slides then jumps over the overpass all at once and bam put it in slow motion and you have a power shot
    there was also a part of the book where Sentinel tells the director or whatever asshe says for him not to stomp on Sam and Lennex "That was a human response" and gives this really eloquent speech, missing there too

15. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

I think it was more Bay. Bay said there is an ending. He's done and wanted to close it off. The war is over. Whatever coesm after him will be a reboot and that's not a bad thing. Let's have something new in a few years.

16. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    I completely agree. I love movieverse Megs. I wish he would have had alot of scenes

17. Shockwave69

Shockwave69 Supreme Leader

well if someone else picks up this series, they could do it so Unicron could somehow revive Megatron (but name him Galvatron)

18. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No reviving, just use Galvatron.

So the book everyone goes home hunky dory? Interesting.

19. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

I think the film's ending is better than the book one. Admittedly, I haven't read the book. Given the disturbing level of violence visited upon the Autobots and humanity by the Decepticons, I can't imagine Prime would be so willing to just let Megatron go.

The Decepticons pretty brutally executed Que (and Dino, but I don't remember seeing it), and Sentinel executed Ironhide by shooting him in the back. I think they made it pretty clear when Soundwave said "No prisoners, only trophies." that they were an irredeemable bunch, and exiling them to Cybertron wasn't going to do the trick.

The Decepticon menace had to be ended, right then and there. With Megatron, Starscream, Shockwave, Soundwave, and Sentinel Prime all dead, it's hard to imagine that they can recover.

20. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    The ending from the book actually made me look MORE forward to seeing the movie. Now that it is known that the ending is different, I can't figure out if I am more or less excited to see the movie now. I'll still go see it.