Comparing G1 Bumblebee: A mold analysis

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nevermore, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Okay... so today I got the Japanese version of the Fun-4-All Bumblebee keychain, thanks to some Chinese fans who apparently thought I deserved a present for whatever reason (thank you guys!).

Now, I started to compare keychain Bumblebee with my old Mexican IGA version of G1 Bumblebee (actually made up of parts from two junker IGA Bumblebees), and noticed a few interesting things. I don't count the obvious differences such as copyright markings or the lack of "DUNLOP" markings on Keybee's tires.

1) Mexibee uses a more matted plastic, which makes the molded details stand out more. I don't know if the original Hasbro version uses the same kind of plastic, but overall, I prefer it... because Keybee uses a more glossy kind of plastic that makes the details appear more blurred.

2) Mexibee only has the rear side of the rear bumper painted black. Keybee also has the upper side and the left and right sides painted. Neither toy has the underside painted. One of the few upsides of Keybee.

3) Keybee has a larger Autobot sticker.

4) Mexibee's tires appear to be taken from single molds, whereas Keybee's tires show traces of being separated from a sprue.

5) Aside from the effects that can be attributed to the glossy plastic, Keybee's face details definitely differ from Mexibee's. My guess would be that one of the heads is reverse-engineered.

6) The main torso piece (black plastic) also appears to be reverse-engineered. As a result, Keybee's head plate leans forward at an angle in vehicle mode, whereas Mexibee's head plate stands up almost perfectly straight.

7) MORE mold differences! The main car body/torso piece (yellow plastic) is also different. The molded taillights on Keybee are shorter than on Mexibee, and the front window is more curved on Mexibee than on Keybee.

8) Keybee has some quality issues. I own the toy for less than twelve hours, and the paint for the diecast backplate is already scratched on the edges. Compare that to Mexibee, who is over 20 years old and shows only marginally more wear for the diecast paint. Also, Keybee has an extremely loose left foot.

Overall, even though the Mexican IGA Bumblebee toy is a 20-year-old foreign release by a sub-contracted manufacturer infamous for quality issues, and Fun-4-All's keychain Bumblebee is supposedly the product of an American manufacturer released only a few years ago, my Mexican Bumblebee, despite 20 years of wear, still feels a lot sturdier than my almost factory-new keychain Bumblebee.

Any other G1 keychain owners with similar experiences?

2. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    My Keychain versions of Bumblebee and Cliffjumper are MOSC, but when I compare Glyph and Tap-Out to the original Bumblee and Cliffjumper... I don't really see any issues, aside from paint having come off from the backplates of Glyph and Tap-Out.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I got my FFA Keychains way back when they were first released. None of them have lost any paint on the backplates at all (or anywhere else, for that matter) despite spending months displayed on and off since they were bought. Also, they all have perfectly tight joints, and I can't see any signs of sprue removal on the tires.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    With regard to the Cliffjumper keychain vs my original:
    -The face is totally different. Original Cliffjumper has straight cheeks right down to the chin. Keyjumper has the mouth in a little indent.
    -Original Cliffjumper's head is at a slight angle in car mode. Keyjumper's is a larger angle.
    -The raised part of Original Cliffjumper's rear bumper is slightly taller than Keyjumper's. In fact, the bottom edge of the red body section on Keyjumper doesn't go as low as the original's at all.
    -Keyjumper's moulding is nowhere near as sharp or clean (especially noticable on the lines on the hood).
    -On Original Cliffjumper's metal backplate, the raised section has a large flat area around the screw. On Keyjumper, there is next to no flat area at all.
    -Keyjumper's windows are slightly taller than Original Cliffjumper's.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Same here, bought them as soon as they arrived at Hot Topic. Even removed some of the chains. They're still as new feeling as ever. They seem just a tad thinner though than the officials, like I can almost see through Bee . Maybe that's just me

6. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Are you referring to the ones that came in the little white rectangular boxes? If so, those are manufactured by Takara.

I was able to get a case of these at a really good price and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. But then again, I don't have the originals to compare them to.