Common Sense Media call TLK racist

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Livingdeaddan, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

Again robots speaking in slang is only a negative if your a racist and equate that with low intelect

I like my ethnic robots as it gives a bit of representation alows the little black kids tonget another hero (or kick ass villian they like)

Why do you think all the little black kids like

Zach the black power ranger

The fly dancing flatopped harem pants wearing black ranger?

Because you see a sterotype we traits we see innour familys and freinda and resonate with it.

Yeah there are poor interpretations out there, but id rather have the attempt

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    And other people have agreed with me. Don't try to make it sound like the majority of people would agree with your sentiment. And I don't think you noticed I was replying to BOTH of your posts in whole. But if you want to take it as me only responding to just one line, then ok. So I see you're also deflecting and not really trying to address what I was trying to say. Either that or you failed at reading comprehension. Being verbose or being able to articulate ones thoughts does not equate to it being a "large conspiracy-esque thesis." Saying that in and of itself is like implying that one can't have an opinion. So in part, you're making my point for me.

Nowhere did I say an action movie is off limits to criticism. Again you're deflecting from what was being discussed. Nice try, but no.

Then you are sadly mistaken. I only responded to your misconception of this whole topic/subject being ONLY a simple complaint when the phenomena of it all is anything but a simple complaint. Unless of course, you've been living under a rock since 2009ish? If you've read my post in it's entirety and not taken anything out of context, perhaps you would have understood that. And since when did being able to articulate ones thoughts = flying off the handle/ blowing things up? So let me get this straight. Just because I'm able to put down my thoughts and that means I'm "mad," "over thinking things." Not quite sure how you came to that conclusion. But like I said, if being verbose, or being able to articulate my thoughts is me being upset/mad to you, then you have problems understanding what you're reading. Or perhaps you are the type that can't be bothered to read
    so you resort to an ad hominem as if that's going to change anything. Or maybe even, you just don't like your views being challenged. All I see is you is saying anyone who disagrees with you should all get over it, and we're not allowed to call them out on it. I'll paraphrase you here..."says you."

Again, I can't help you if you choose to see my opinion, which happens to be a dissenting one to yours, as "flying off the handle." Nowhere did I mention that people can't talk about it. It would actually seem, that since you're thinking this, that it's you who's making the fuss and everything else you're accusing me of. Great deflection skills there! I only complained about how people choose to complain about things. I never said they couldn't. Again, your ad hominem doesn't equate to fact here. But if you really really really want to think I'm all angry or upset over it, that's fine. I'll let you think that :)  But only because I know your type, and know once you get a thought in your head, it can never be changed despite being shown otherwise.

And with that, you have a good night.

3. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    I don't think this is true across the board, but it's a good point.

4. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    That's not the only two options though.

5. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    "The people who think it's a sterotype are the *real* racists!" is about the level of discourse I'd expect here.

6. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Can you show me what part of the behavior of Skids, Mudflap, Mohawk, or Nitro (since those are the ones this is about) is based on a specific race?

7. Hound89

We LITERALLY had a guy say nitro was meant to be black cause he was getting out of jail.

• Like Like x 2
  8. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    I didn't realize your altmode was a cherrypicker.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hound89

While that was a funny retort your the one saying that this point of veiw is unfounded.

I provided an example ofnwhat were talking about.

If you see a guy speak with slang and act dumb and automaticaly go

"Clearly this chap of low intelligence is supposed to represent those of the negroid persuasion" then you might be the one with racist inclinations

Or in drifts case "this fellow takes inspiration from a culture of the far east, that means it is automaticaly bad wot, wot"

Again kind of says more about you

• Like Like x 4
  10. Hound89

Being ugly makes them black obviously

11. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    No. It's a combination of traits that make them racial stereotypes. Looking like monkeys, talking street, not do much reading, gold tooth, lazy eye. If they had one of those traits by itself it wouldn't have been a problem.

Also, it should be noted that Common Sense Media is an organization that lets parents know whether a movie or a show is appropriate for children. Of course, they would be more uptight towards this movie. What the hell were you guys expecting?

12. ze collecter

ze collecter Brotherhood Paladin

News Credits:
    shumashroom, You do realize Jazz, Mudflap, and Mohawk were all voices by American People right? Reno Wilson, the guy who voices Mudflap and Mohawk was saddened to hear that he was offensive to himself. on top of that, Mudflap and Skids personalities were made by the guys who voiced them. There goes half your argument.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Skids and Mudflap are fascinating in just how racist they were. Almost as fascinating as the people who deny that they were racist.

• Like Like x 2
  14. AutobotAvalanche

News Credits:
    All those traits together could just as easily apply to any other race. It's not a black stereotype but a thug stereotype.

15. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    But which race are those thug stereotypes almost always applied to in shows and movies?

16. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    Oh come on. Do you really believe that?

• Like Like x 1
  17. AutobotAvalanche

News Credits:
    Yeah. I do. I have never once watched ROTF and thought, "Hey, these are supposed to be a stereotype of black people." I've always just seen them as goofy, dumb robots.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

whatever side you're on, you're not gonna change your mind one way or another, so kick back, relax, & be thankful you're not an onslaught fan who waited years for this movie to be released just to see him on the big screen

• Like Like x 3
  19. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    Well, I suppose in that regard ignorance is bliss (and bully for you for not being so cynical, I guess)... but it doesn't change the fact that they undeniable have multiple traits that relate to racist stereotypes.

20. AutobotAvalanche

News Credits:
    I don't doubt that they have traits that can be associated with other stereotypes than just a generic thug. I just don't believe that was the intent. I believe they were just meant to be thugs.. If they had made comments that were more obviously related to black stereotypes I could see where you're coming from. The behavior of the twins was pretty generic though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.