Common probs w/ G1 Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cornholiocon, May 20, 2010.

1. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

An original G1 Shockwave is high on my want list (vice a KO) but in looking at some of the auction descriptions it seems that they share some common problems such as cracks in the rubber hose, sketchy electronics, and loose legs.
    I know the fig is 25+ years old, but are these recurring problems and are there any others that I should be aware of as well?
    Thanks.

2. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Those are recurring problems with EVERY toy. Rubber loses its elasticity, electronics stop working, and joints get loose.

3. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    A few Shockwaves have loose legs straight out of the box.

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    That's fairly irrelevant, as these are in fact known issues with old Shockwaves, and people who are trying to find one in good condition want to know about these issues before they buy it.

The joint issue especially, because he has very thin legs and a rotund torso, so if his knee slider things no longer hold up his weight, then he goes from a tall toy, to a stumpy toy with no visible thighs.

But, good quality ones are just as prevelant as crappy ones. I don't own Shockwave himself, but I own a KO of "Shackwave." (I assume it's a KO because it doesn't have die-cast, but the plastic it's made from is nothing like a KO. It's also vintage, not one of those new re-issue KOs).

It was the very Transformer I bought off ebay, back in like 2002 or something. It still has an uncracked hose and stable legs. If a KO can survive this well, I'm sure you can find a good real one without looking too hard.

5. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Biggest problem I've seen lately is split shoulders. The strong springs used in the shoulder joint have eventually broken away the plastic that hold the joint together, causing the whole upper body housing to seperate.

I have two otherwise great Shockwaves at home with this problem. Haven't found a way to fix them - Might just give up and try superglue on one.

AFAIK, every other problem can be fixed.

6. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

Gee, you think????

I'm asking if these problems seem to be more common even in the Shockwaves in good condition.

7. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Cracked hoses are a fact of life. That kind of rubber, bent in anyway over time will eventually crack. They've all been around for more than 20 years...there's no avoiding it.

I'm not sure why the electronics would fail, but it is possible for that to happen even without any abuse to the toy.

As some have said here in regards to the legs, it's kind of another inevitibility. If that toy has been on display, standing, for any real long period of time...that's a lot of Shock-weight compressing those simple latches. They are bound to wear out.

My Shockwave is in pretty good condition. Electronics work perfectly, no cracking in the plastic, the hose is splitting a bit, and the legs have to be carefully latched to ensure he maintains his weight. Be happy with what you can find. In all likelihood, even an MISB one opened today will have some or all of these issues.

8. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

I have had the same problem with mine. All I did was replace the exsiting screws with longer ones so that the new screws bite deeper into the plastic at the bottom of the hole. Also a millimeter wider helps too. Haven't had a problem with the shoulders since and that was over a year ago.

9. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Unfortunately, on the two I have, those posts broke off pretty close to the base. Not much left for a screw to dig into.

10. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    One of my saddest 'con expereinces-

I duck out from my Dealer-Table to snag a Shackwave from a dealer one or two tables across the way.

I'm thrilled because it's in good condition, and has all its parts. Electronics even work! And I've never owned the mold (One of the VERY few that had eluded me)

Duck back behind my table, and gently transform him.

The shoulder goes.

Sad shrug from other dealer across the way.

-----

So yeah, look out for that :/

11. gferic

gferic New Member

I'd be more concerned with making sure it has the barrel and battery cover. The rest of the problems you can't do much about.

I lucked out about a year ago and snatched up a G1 Shockwave from BBTS. It was included in a "Junk Lot" with five other G1 figures. The other figures were in bad shape, but Shockwave was in better condition that I could have ever hoped. It had the barrel and battery cover, the electronics work, and the hose was in decent condition. The legs don't hold any weight in the straight position, but you can bend the knee joints forward one more click so he can stand tall even if it looks like he is leaning over a bit.

12. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    If you have the hose attached in unfrayed condition and a battery cover. Then your probably not a risk for bad electronics.

I have always had problems with shockwaves legs. I own three varients of the toy and the legs have some inconsistancies in smoothness and secureing the extention lock. The purple classic one I can't get the slider to go all the way out for the left side, so considering the massive amount of die cast shockwave has Rust or or a unoiled bar can make Transformation more of a pain.

Its a good toy regardless. Just buy it for a reasonable price if its a little wonky or ask the seller about electronics and transformation difficulties if they are able.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I bought mine a few years ago, he has been in storage for atleast 2 years, I should check him, He was faultless when I bought him and since he is in his box he should still be faultless. But yes the hose and legs are his major concerns. BUt I do know there was some ppl here that found a way to fix his legs.

But he is worth every pennyl

[​IMG]

14. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

I got one in near perfect condition.

If anyone has $0.02 to contribute, is there anything I can do to maintain or reinforce him so the shoulders stay in good condition? Really reluctant to begin disassembly, have been through that nightmare before. Fat fingers + shaky hands, a good combo do not make. I was thinking vice grips :( 

15. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If his shoulders seperate, maybe you could tap the shoulders with a slightly bigger screw or longer screw? I have ran into this issue, but just sold off the toy for spare parts instead of trying to fix him.

Or....just buy the recently ko'd version of him if you just want the toy to display and what not.

16. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    I still haven't got Shockwave because it is vhtf a Shockwave in gd condition and with the KO's saturating the market I've sort of given up. I'll be keepin my eye out, but I'm not too fussed anymore.

17. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

My Possible KO Shackie is in alright condition. The Hose is Just beginning to start cracking, His left Knee is a tends to compress pretty readily (Though I have the Problem Alleviated when he's in robot mode by sticking a Paperclip in the joint), and part of the Plastic Housing around his left Thigh has a tear in the plastic from someone trying to bend Shockwave's leg while it was at the wrong place to bend.

18. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

This is one of my Grails, since shackwave was my first tf. Perhaps ill just wait till hastak makes an MP.

19. AMG

AMG Old School

Loose legs are not a problem to deal with at all. If they become loose you just tilt Shockwave forward at the knees and he stands (and looks) fine.