Commissioning stories?

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by RKillian, Jun 24, 2007.

1. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

I've been thinking about an on-and-off project for a couple years and I finally decided to ask the question directly. Do fiction writers take commissions along similar lines to visual artists? If so, what should I expect to pay for a short story or two of relatively the same caliber as an average pre-movie G1 script?

2. Jetplague

Jetplague Michael Bay is evil!

Getting paid for writing fan fiction for others you mean?

3. RKillian

I thought it'd be a worthwhile project to illustrate some specific types of stories from other fans. The relatively big group project that proposed to do this two years ago fell apart over flaky artists. When I pitched it to the moderators of several boards as a contest a few months later, there was no response at all. Each time I thought about the idea afterwards, I got angrier and angrier, so I was very hesitant to try from another angle.

I was hoping that the offer might spur some followup questions at the very least. The whole point of putting the question out there was to narrow down the search a little. I try to read fanfiction boards, but I can't get past some of the subject matter; it's the proverbial needle in a haystack situation.

Honestly, I can spend some time writing my own or turn the animes into something marginally entertaining if I have to. I think I'll try a more general writing forum when I get back from Botcon.

4. Sledge

Sledge Well-Known Member

The thing about fanfiction is that it is generally not a paid enterprise. For a commission I wouldn't want to write something I can't put on my resume so to speak. A story with all the trademarks sanded off might be more viable...
    As for numbers the hobby end of the writing industry pays 1-5 cents per word generally.

5. RKillian

OK, see, now that's a big help even if it sounds a little bleak. Although I don't get paid to draw, I've at least been exposed to that side of the hobby, whereas with writing it's more like operating in the dark.

The legal side is a confusing situation, because I don't see a difference between being paid to draw a picture of Optimus Prime or being paid to write a story about Optimus Prime. That's not to say they can't be viewed differently under the law; I just don't see a logical difference.

That said, I'd be very open to bending the rules a little - writing to the archetype, using more original characters, etc. The basis of the concept was an average 1984/1985 story (how about, say, A Decepticon in King Arthur's Court?), so there's alot of freedom to steer clear of the existing mythos if you want to short of "two robot armies are fighting on Earth."

If I accurately recall the length of the last script I illustrated, the apparent going rate is very doable. Whether anybody wants to put a cartoon script on their resume is another question though. Eh, I'll have to give this all a little more thought before I hit some other boards.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for responding, if only to let me know what my options are.

6. Jetplague

Jetplague Michael Bay is evil!

Yeah...you can't really get paid for doing that. Because if the "Trademarked" owners of that original source material ever found out...trouble a plenty will be heading your way. Unless it's of your own creation and not "Based", "a likeness of" or even a "Similar story but different names"....then I could see no problem with it. But this is "Fan fiction"...and in order to remain free of such harsh legalities....ya have to do it for free and not claim it as your own. I'm sure everyone would love to get paid for writing this stuff...but...this isn't really ours to begin with, so we can only dream about being paid for doing it.